Christie Lake Frozen Awesomeness [o]- Mtbr.com
    bi-winning

Christie Lake Frozen Awesomeness [o]

Well, as many of you noticed, today was an awesome day for a mountain bike ride in Southern Ontario. The temperatures were cold enough overnight to freeze the trails, but the temperatures in the morning were warm enough to not freeze my fingers off.

I headed to Christie Lake to check up on the new singletrack. I had not been through there since the Dundas Monstercross ride. I was thrilled with what I found. The trail gnomes have been hard at work, and it really shows! There were lots of bike tracks in the dusting of snow, making it easy to follow all the new trails. There are some loops and some little out and backs. There is twisty, there is fast, there is lots of fun.

My super awesome commuter tires made riding the frozen trails extra fun.

The trees are so thick in some spots, it's shockingly dark in spots, even in daylight.

Though there were lots of tracks, I only came across one other rider in the woods. This rider, was a rider that needs no introduction.

She's the one men want to be with, and the one women want to be...

We rode together for a while, and chatted about all the awesomeness that Christie Lake CA is becoming. It was so fun to be riding new trails, that riding them repeatedly did not get boring.

Good times.
    Last edited by rkj__; 12-18-2011 at 02:29 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Great pics and report! Thanks for a fun ride! Can't wait until the out 'n' backs become loops. That will have to wait until spring...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You must have just missed our group! We were out close to 11. Did a full tour of the Dundas Peak, Christies, Dundas Valley and finished off with beers at Domestique. Great day!
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by philshep View Post
    You must have just missed our group! We were out close to 11. Did a full tour of the Dundas Peak, Christies, Dundas Valley and finished off with beers at Domestique. Great day!
    I rolled out my door in Ancaster at 11:30, as I was waiting for the temperatures to climb just a bit. I was playing around in Christie a little after 12ish, so I guess I was following your tracks.

It sounds like you had a great tour of Dundas.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Evil Jr.
    Mrs. Monster came back raving about how the trails were riding so I postponed my planned ride and headed out to Christie too. Just awesome... it's going to be ridiculous once we fill the whole South Shore with these trails.

I got out there just as the light was fading so my pic is a little moodier than rkj's are but gorgeous none the less.

I think I've got the perfect 2-hour Dundas ride pretty much figured now. Ride up 8, hit Optimist into Christie, ride it all in both directions, pop out and bomb Deer Leg, take Golf Course back to 8, ride along the rail and drop-in back to the house. Outstanding!
    Last edited by garage monster; 12-18-2011 at 04:52 PM.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I think I've got the perfect 2-hour Dundas ride pretty much figured now. Ride up 8
    Why not include the peak / gravel climb? Then you've basically got an all dirt loop! That was our route today.
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

Evil Jr.
    Why not include the peak / gravel climb? Then you've basically got an all dirt loop! That was our route today.
    On the Remedy, that might make sense but on the SS, I'm pretty much barfing rainbows by the time I get to the top of the Gravel Chute. :P

If I wanted to switch it up, I could always chug up Valley Road, slip into Borer's CA and sneak up to the Peak off Harvest... (hafta ignore those new "no biking" signs tho).

Man, we're so lucky to have all these choices around here!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    On the Remedy, that might make sense but on the SS, I'm pretty much barfing rainbows by the time I get to the top of the Gravel Chute. :P

If I wanted to switch it up, I could always chug up Valley Road, slip into Borer's CA and sneak up to the Peak off Harvest... (hafta ignore those new "no biking" signs tho).

Man, we're so lucky to have all these choices around here!
    Or.... crush the Webster's Gorge trail and skitter up the stairs! Great route, but needs a bit of 'rock gentrification' I'm thinking.
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

mtbr Decade+
    As a prosepective/potential Dundasian Blue anybody have any free time this week to do an begintermediate tour with two guys new to the area?
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr Decade+
    Do they have a liquor license? What do they have on tap?
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Do they have a liquor license? What do they have on tap?
    From Facebook: "We are open from 8 am to 10 pm every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night! $6 McAuslan Apricot pints!" As I recall, they have the Pale Ale and Oatmeal Stout as well and Cameron's Lager... They've had a liquor licence since September I think.

If you're available during the day, we might be able to work out a tour time...

Lemmy Rules!
    As a prosepective/potential Dundasian Blue anybody have any free time this week to do an begintermediate tour with two guys new to the area?
    I have the week off between xmas and New Years and would love to get out on a ride on these trails with some fellow MTBR's. Anyone else think that could be a plan? If so, pls reply or pm me.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I'm game the 28th or after and have days off. Does not look like we'll have snow, but hopefully good, freezing overnight temps.

Morning ride, then grilled cheese and a pint a domestique, anyone want to call a day?

Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I have the week off between xmas and New Years and would love to get out on a ride on these trails with some fellow MTBR's. Anyone else think that could be a plan? If so, pls reply or pm me.

Lemmy Rules!
    28th or 29th work best for me.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    28th or 29th work best for me.
    Why don't we say 28th, 9:00am domestique. 29th can be an alternative in case weather isn't suitable (or we can just do a more gravel grinding and skirt around the trails)

Evil Jr.
    Our schedule is in a state of flux that week but there's a chance I can make it.

mtbr Decade+
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Why don't we say 28th, 9:00am domestique. 29th can be an alternative in case weather isn't suitable (or we can just do a more gravel grinding and skirt around the trails)
    The 28th I've got the Tyke Friendship Games until about noon, so the 29th works best for me. However, I'm also semi-local so I could mooch a tour another time...

Lemmy Rules!
    The 28th I've got the Tyke Friendship Games until about noon, so the 29th works best for me. However, I'm also semi-local so I could mooch a tour another time...
    OK, so lets do it on the 29th. What time were folks thinking?
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    OK, so lets do it on the 29th. What time were folks thinking?
    Earlier gives us better chance of frozen ground

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Earlier gives us better chance of frozen ground
    OK - name a time, sir. Just so long as we are not back too early to order a beer at Domestique....
    Strava made me do it....

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    OK - name a time, sir. Just so long as we are not back too early to order a beer at Domestique....
    Earlier (say 9am) gives Mr. Monster better odds of making it too. Beer with soup and a warming grilled cheese won't be an issue, I'm sure.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I should mention that people are likely to be out building at Christie over the holidays too if anyone wants to pitch in. Check Facebook for updates.

Lemmy Rules!
    OK, so let's say 9am at Domestique on December 29th. Do we want to start a thread for this ride, or keep it a little more on the down-low. In my view, the more the merrier....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    OK, so let's say 9am at Domestique on December 29th. Do we want to start a thread for this ride, or keep it a little more on the down-low. In my view, the more the merrier....
    Merry trails and a happy new beer? Thread title?

More the better, who wants to be 'responsible'

Lemmy Rules!
    Strava made me do it....

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Nothing better than hard frozen trails...

...thanks for sharing, hope to visit someday!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Had Tuesday off so after seeing all the posts about Christie, I figured I'd go take a look. Decided I'd park at the Crooks Hollow parking and ride in since I've only got a trail pass. Nope, they've got it closed. Drive around for a while but it's all no parking signs. Decide the heck with it, I'll pay the entrance fee. Drive in and see it's $9 to enter - and since I've got a trail pass, that works out $9 to park - wow, Hilton Falls and Kelso is only $6.25.

Figure the heck with that and head back to Dundas Valley. Nope, still closed for the native hunt. Finally end up at Puslinch Tract.
    Glad I did though, perfect day. Trails are hard and dry. That has to be some of the best single track around, puts a big grin on your face.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Figure the heck with that and head back to Dundas Valley. Nope, still closed for the native hunt.
    Huh, I have not heard much on that lately. Did they not reach over half of their quota in the first week or so? There's no way it's taken this long to get 40 deer.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Had Tuesday off so after seeing all the posts about Christie, I figured I'd go take a look. Decided I'd park at the Crooks Hollow parking and ride in since I've only got a trail pass. Nope, they've got it closed. Drive around for a while but it's all no parking signs. Decide the heck with it, I'll pay the entrance fee. Drive in and see it's $9 to enter - and since I've got a trail pass, that works out $9 to park - wow, Hilton Falls and Kelso is only $6.25.

Figure the heck with that and head back to Dundas Valley. Nope, still closed for the native hunt. Finally end up at Puslinch Tract.
    Glad I did though, perfect day. Trails are hard and dry. That has to be some of the best single track around, puts a big grin on your face.
    In case you're still in the mood after all that, you can park off Middletown Rd. for free (slight chance of getting ticketed) and poke in from there. I do find that the one-day fee to get into Christie is a little on the steep side and considering the amount of trail we have built up to now, it's not worth the cash.,, yet.

As far as the HCA is concerned, most riders are expected to ride up to Christie from Dundas and the project is geared toward generating more "good will" annual pass holders as opposed to one-day visitors.

Check the group ride thread if you're interested and I can show you how to get there without having to worry about parking.