Chico SS this weekend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Chico SS this weekend

The forecast looks promising!
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Have you ridden the course? Pretty unique this year. (I'm not in it this year though)
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_o View Post
    Have you ridden the course? Pretty unique this year. (I'm not in it this year though)
    Not in a few years. What is unique about it this time around?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Not in a few years. What is unique about it this time around?
    Take this with a grain of salt as it sounds like there may have already been some changes but:

The beginning is pretty standard - up to the first bit of IMBA then dh towards the chalet, over to Speedorama and In speed we trust, then there's a monster climb up to Woo Wu in reverse, then more standard fare up to Pinecomb to BMBC in reverse, but you cut out part way through BMBC to go over to Albion witch. Across the two way bridge and up the second half of Epic in reverse, then at the middle you do another section of Epic in the regular direction (hope that bit made sense), then the regular way back to the chalet.

So basically the ugly climb up to Woo Wu, the cutting out of BMBC part way through, and part of Epic in reverse are new to me.

mtbr member
    Take this with a grain of salt as it sounds like there may have already been some changes but:

The beginning is pretty standard - up to the first bit of IMBA then dh towards the chalet, over to Speedorama and In speed we trust, then there's a monster climb up to Woo Wu in reverse, then more standard fare up to Pinecomb to BMBC in reverse, but you cut out part way through BMBC to go over to Albion witch. Across the two way bridge and up the second half of Epic in reverse, then at the middle you do another section of Epic in the regular direction (hope that bit made sense), then the regular way back to the chalet.

So basically the ugly climb up to Woo Wu, the cutting out of BMBC part way through, and part of Epic in reverse are new to me.
    Thanks for the summary, Greg. That climb will hurt come Sunday morning!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the summary, Greg. That climb will hurt come Sunday morning!
    Sunday morning?! That climb hurt me on a casual Tuesday afternoon lol.

mtbr member
    Sunday morning?! That climb hurt me on a casual Tuesday afternoon lol.
    If it's anything like 'The Wall' from several years back, then I'm with you!

mtbr member
    Is the wall that seldom traveled, nasty rooty climb between just past the entrance to Summer Solstice and connects to near the last bit of Woo Wu?

mtbr member
    Is the wall that seldom traveled, nasty rooty climb between just past the entrance to Summer Solstice and connects to near the last bit of Woo Wu?
    I seem to remember it marked as 'The Wall' or something like that but can't recall.

It was a great weekend for racing and well-attended. Felt like more climbing than usual.

mtbr member
    I seem to remember it marked as 'The Wall' or something like that but can't recall.

It was a great weekend for racing and well-attended. Felt like more climbing than usual.
    👍 Hoping next year I'll participate.

mtbr member
    It's interesting how different the perception of the course can be. I thought there was hardly any climbing, except for the aforementioned double track climb before backwards Woo-Wu. That was the only section worth mentioning, really. And not that bad, either. Certainly not a grunt of a climb that Wall of Pain (by far the steepest and technical at Albion), Green Monster or Brown Monster are (none of which were a part of a 24hr course in years now).
    It was a fun and fast course though and the up-tick in average speeds is a good indicator of less climbing compared to some previous years.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek View Post
    It's interesting how different the perception of the course can be. I thought there was hardly any climbing, except for the aforementioned double track climb before backwards Woo-Wu. That was the only section worth mentioning, really. And not that bad, either. Certainly not a grunt of a climb that Wall of Pain (by far the steepest and technical at Albion), Green Monster or Brown Monster are (none of which were a part of a 24hr course in years now).
    It was a fun and fast course though and the up-tick in average speeds is a good indicator of less climbing compared to some previous years.
    Agreed, I'm not a very good rider but I can attest in the 7 years I've participated, this one really didn't have much climbing. Not complaining, I love every bit of it!