Chico 24 Hours of Summer Solstice- Mtbr.com
    Looking for Adventure

Chico 24 Hours of Summer Solstice

Well, what a great event it was this year.
    The Chico Racing boys are now obviously on a roll. With the "24 Hours of Adrenaline" pretty well out of the picture for Ontario, this event has got all the support it needs. Many of the Trilife (errrrr TwentyFourSports) sponsors have moved in with Chico, and the place was abuzz with the energy and organization of an Olympic event. Even the racers, once known to be a large proportion of high strung, competitive types have relaxed and shown good sportsmanship. I couldn't believe the number of very fast riders who consistently and politely called out their passing intentions in places where "it was appropriate to pass" (instead of running you over). The transition zone was smooth and uncongested. The course was well laid out and well maintained.
    Both Adam and Sean (the event organizers) were seen busily moving about, attending to details, mingling in the crowd with their usual friendly and low key manner.
    With over 2000 racers, this event is now the largest in North America, but you couldn't tell from the camping sites. There was still plenty of room for individual tents, picnic table, and a common area for teams. You never had to trip over other people's tent ropes to get anywhere. Lots of walking paths, roads, and laneways that seemed to be mainly clear.

Probably the best 24 hour event I have ever seen in Ontario in the last 7 years I have been racing!

mtbr member

Well....

How did you/team do....

My goal next season is to compete in a 24hr race....

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree with Ricksom is was a great event. A little cold at night (ok I'm a wimp) but it was tough stopping to eat (I did the race solo) because I'd be sweaty but not want to change all the time. The course was in great shape....the rain Friday night probably made it better in all but one section (you know...the one with the palattes where I wiped out!). Competition in the Solo catagory was unbelievable...there were some amazing riders (I wasn't one of them this go around). One thing I noticed to was how many women were riding, regardless of catagory, it was great to see them, even if they did pass me all the time!

All in all, super job Chico!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

wow...

Are you saying there were 2,000 riders? That's incredible.

Now that we heard the course was great for the race (good news), how does it look now...is it chewed up or pretty close to what it was before the race?

Congrats to you and the others.

almost there!

Good job! the course after the event...

It was an awesome event... I've done one of these before and I've raced plenty and like all of the above said - it was very well organized. Our team did well - 14th out of 108 (Joey Wu Woo's Team).

I was the last guy to ride for my team and the course didn't look too bad, the most affected parts were the grassy sections which I'm sure will be back to normal in a month since no one would normally ride on those sections.

I would definitely recommend the next 24 hour event the Chico brothers are organising: 24 Hours at Albion "Hot August Nights" on the 21st/22nd of August. I hear the course will be quite different and some parts will be in reverse.

AJ

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    While it was well done, it lacked the personal touch of a few years ago when the event was smaller and the riders more relaxed. I saw a guy cut 50ft across the bush to get ahead of 4 other racers 100ft before it became double track... why?
    My friend was knocked off her bike twice (2 separate laps) by super aggressive racers pushing to get by at night… I mean what the hell! This isn’t an Olympic event…
    If this sort of thing continues the event will self destruct.
    Don’t even get me started about the fireworks that were set off at midnight…
    this space left intentionally blank

(aka SS_MB-7)
    I agree. I, for one, had an excellent weekend. This was my 2nd Chico 24 Hrs of Summer Solstice race and I was very pleased with the course, venue, organization, etc., that Adam and Sean continue to exhibit. Unfortunately, as a soloist, I didn't get to see very much of the race attractions.

You could definitely sense the anti-Trilife sentiment with the majority of racers I talked to. Most are very unhappy with the situation and would like some honest answers from the organizers.

For the most part, the true XC racers were polite and conscious of slower racers, but accidents still and will happen when you get that many racers onto a course that has some very tight singletrack. Part of the problem stems from the fact that the majority of the faster racers race on the O-Cup circuit and know the ins-n-outs of racing, passing, etc. Those passing know how and where to pass and those being passed know how to be passed. This does not always apply to other racers.

I had one incident Sunday morning in which I had clearly announced "solo rider coming-up...passing on your left". The slower rider proceeded to slam on her brakes and left me no alternative but to go off course into some trees, just missing her. I'm partly to blame for this since I should have slowed-up slightly, but I certainly did not anticipate a full-stop in the middle of the trail.

Anyway, for those that raced, odds are, your pics were taken by a very talented photographer buddy of mine, Joe Elliot from MTBKanata.com. Just click this link (http://www.mtbkanata.com/event_photos.html) and put in your number plate. 1750 pics taken during the weekend...incredible!

See ya next year!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

More than a little slow
    I was also at the Albion Hills race this past weekend and I have to agree that it was a very nicely run event. I was also at last years race which also was as well run. I'm surprised though that there are people who don't like the Adrenalin series yet like the 24 hour that Chico puts on. There are differences, mostly the fact that there is a lack of camping facilities at Hardwood, as well as the timing ( and I think that the Adrenalin guys have to go to a chip timing system) and some minor differences in the transition zone vibe but the actual race, to me at least, feels very similar. I've done 3 of Chico's 24 Hr races and 11 of the Adrenalin series and have thoroughly enjoyed all of them. I have every intention of entering a team in the Adrenalin race in August ( yeah , yeah, I know it's not a sure thing) and am kinda looking forward to racing in a smaller version of the 24 hour races that we have come to love ( sort of like a 24 hour retro race ).
    Anyway, congrats to everyone who was there at Albion and hope to see all of you at some race sometime in the future.

Cheers, Dave
    PS does anyone remember the 99 in '99? now that was a race.

sock puppet

yep, great event...

but the night was cold... until you hit the first uphill after the start...

loved the course. always kept me on the tip of my toes... Loved camping facilities. lot of room for everyone. Weather served us well. Albion Hills is nasty in the rain, thank God it didnt come during the weekend...

definitely looking forward to Hot Summer Nights in August race...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Well, what a great event it was this year.
    The Chico Racing boys are now obviously on a roll. With the "24 Hours of Adrenaline" pretty well out of the picture for Ontario, this event has got all the support it needs. Many of the Trilife (errrrr TwentyFourSports) sponsors have moved in with Chico, and the place was abuzz with the energy and organization of an Olympic event. Even the racers, once known to be a large proportion of high strung, competitive types have relaxed and shown good sportsmanship. I couldn't believe the number of very fast riders who consistently and politely called out their passing intentions in places where "it was appropriate to pass" (instead of running you over). The transition zone was smooth and uncongested. The course was well laid out and well maintained.
    Both Adam and Sean (the event organizers) were seen busily moving about, attending to details, mingling in the crowd with their usual friendly and low key manner.
    With over 2000 racers, this event is now the largest in North America, but you couldn't tell from the camping sites. There was still plenty of room for individual tents, picnic table, and a common area for teams. You never had to trip over other people's tent ropes to get anywhere. Lots of walking paths, roads, and laneways that seemed to be mainly clear.

Probably the best 24 hour event I have ever seen in Ontario in the last 7 years I have been racing!