Chalk Lake Rd access to Dagmar?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Chalk Lake Rd access to Dagmar?

I heard on the weekend that the access to Dagmar from Chalk Lake Rd is open again after being closed at the end of last season. I have not heard anything from DMBA related to this so wonder if it's true.
    Can anyone confirm if the access has been restored?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    I heard on the weekend that the access to Dagmar from Chalk Lake Rd is open again after being closed at the end of last season. I have not heard anything from DMBA related to this so wonder if it's true.
    Can anyone confirm if the access has been restored?
    No. Close permanently.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am on the Executive for the DMBA and can answer this. The DMBA Board of Directors voted against keeping that access open for well thought out and researched reasons... believe me it was a hard decision. The main reason was that paying for access creates a precedent that can have a ripple effect in our own area as well as other parts of the country. Yes, this little trail as trivial as it may seem could possibly make a change.

As an example I personally contacted Kingdom Trails and spoke with their trail manager and they do not pay for any access on any piece of private land... and they have lots of access and lots of trails.

At this time the Green Durham Association and a store from Toronto decided to cover the cost in paying for access on that trail, and I believe (drove by earlier this evening actually) it is no longer blocked off and usable. If not already, you will soon see advertising signs along it as to who covered the cost.

Hope that clears it up.
    Dennis

p.s. - The 7th Concession access is still open and the the Board of Directors are still looking into other access points, time will tell.
    Last edited by osteo; 05-23-2018 at 09:16 PM. Reason: added info.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the clarification osteo!

Glad to hear it's usable again, but to your point, a little concerned about a pay for access precedent being set.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    Thanks for the clarification osteo!

Glad to hear it's usable again, but to your point, a little concerned about a pay for access precedent being set.
    No problem. Yup, itís a big topic and a heated one for sure with lots of ways to look at it. To be completely fair the landowner has every right to charge for usage of his land, no one can fault him for that (I donít) it is then up to the people wanting to use the land if they want to pay, and in this case what that could potentially mean down the road.

Enjoy the trails! I rode through last night (not the access though!!) and they are in prime comdition!

Remember the Demo Festival next Sat, will be awesome!
    D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    p.s. - The 7th Concession access is still open and the the Board of Directors are still looking into other access points, time will tell.
    Personally, I always thought the 7th Concession access was the best anyway. That initial single track and Cattlelogs are two of the best trails.

Keep up the great work -- trail are excellent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    Personally, I always thought the 7th Concession access was the best anyway. That initial single track and Cattlelogs are two of the best trails.

Keep up the great work -- trail are excellent.
    Thanks Jon - we (I) appreciate the kind words. We work hard and try to do the best we can considering all view points, unfortunately it is not always seen that way.
    Enjoy, Iím just about to get loaded up for a full day up there!
    D