Chain Reaction Returns- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    265

    Chain Reaction Returns

    Has anyone had any issues returning an item to Chain Reaction? I ordered a conversion kit for my dt swiss hub which they shipped the wrong size - supposed to be 15mm but it's 18mm! And just realized that the 240s hub i have cannot easily be converted from 9qr to 15mm thru axle. DT does not make a conversion kit for this WTF!!! They did refer me to this conversion kit:

    Western Mountainsports - Home

    Anyone have any experience with this conversion kit?

    Back to CR… I am trying to return the wrong conversion kit and asking about refunding shipping costs etc. since it was the wrong kit they sent and they keep giving me the run around saying they need to investigate stock levels. Well I don't want anything in return and I just want a refund but they are not being straight. THeir replies have also been slow and they don't even have a toll free number. Very frustrating!

    Let me know if anyones else has had similar problems??

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    265
    DT swiss referred me to the WMS conversion kit, NOT Chain Reaction. They have no experience with it or could endorse it but that is the only one they know of around to convert from QR to 15mm apparently.

  3. #3
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Linda, biggest issue when even converting to 15mm is the size of the hub shell. Which I think you just discovered. Unless DT machined the hub shell big enough to start there is not much one can do to make it go bigger. And without seeing the hub up in person I have a hunch they machined it only to take 9mm QR only.

    Best suggestion in regards to the parts....post on EBay.

  4. #4
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    If the hub she'll looks like this,



    There is no way to convert it to 15mm. Needs to be a bigger shell diameter.



    Save the wheel and convert the 29er to Monstercross?

  5. #5
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    DT swiss referred me to the WMS conversion kit, NOT Chain Reaction. They have no experience with it or could endorse it but that is the only one they know of around to convert from QR to 15mm apparently.
    If DT doesn't make their own conversion parts for this, I'd guess that it's because they don't think they can squeeze an acceptable bearing size for the purpose into the space available in the hub shell bore, as implied by Enduramil below. So... I'd guess the WMS conversion kit will fit (would be silly of them to be selling a kit that doesn't) but the performance and lifespan of the bearings between changes will probably be less than optimal, and required more frequently than a factory configuration. That being said, if you're on top of your maintenance and factor in the cost of bearing replacement maybe it's doable? Bearings alone aren't that much coin, once you have the axle and endcaps.

    Maybe consider posting your Q on the Wheels & Tires subforum? There's usually someone who knows something about everything over there, if it's related to wheels or any of their components.

  6. #6
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    If DT doesn't make their own conversion parts for this, I'd guess that it's because they don't think they can squeeze an acceptable bearing size for the purpose into the space available in the hub shell bore, as implied by Enduramil below. So... I'd guess the WMS conversion kit will fit (would be silly of them to be selling a kit that doesn't) but the performance and lifespan of the bearings between changes will probably be less than optimal, and required more frequently than a factory configuration. That being said, if you're on top of your maintenance and factor in the cost of bearing replacement maybe it's doable? Bearings alone aren't that much coin, once you have the axle and endcaps.
    Isn't this the time when Craig shows his love by suddenly pulling out a pink Chris King 15mm hub with pink DT spokes and a Stans rim already to go?

  7. #7
    mtbr Decade+
    Reputation: Biggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,545
    I returned a jacket in which they shipped the wrong size. They refunded my postage.

    I'm a little unclear as to who made the mistake. If they shipped a wrong part they should pay, if you ordered the wrong part, shipping will probably be on you.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    265
    I expressed my displeasure in slow communications and mislabeling of parts. they have offered to have a courier pick up and give full refund. Hopefully sooner than later.

    as for the hub, I think you're right ENduramil, might be best not to muck around. Now trying to sell the fox fork and will look for another 9mm qr.

    Craig is getting me brakes for my birthday!

  9. #9
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post

    as for the hub, I think you're right ENduramil, might be best not to muck around. Now trying to sell the fox fork and will look for another 9mm qr.

    !
    Selling your fork you say....


    On a more serious note. Linda, my suggestion for the future is look for front hubs that have the larger diameter shells like Hope and can use simple adapters to fit the various hub/fork interfaces.

Similar Threads

  1. Returns to chain reaction cycles
    By MadMacMan in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-11-2016, 12:12 PM
  2. Hop Pro 2 EVO at Chain Reaction
    By RTM in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 08:49 PM
  3. Chain Reaction Cycles
    By jpeters in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 01:08 PM
  4. Chain Reaction Voucher £10
    By ts818 in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 01:18 PM
  5. Chain Reaction and UK VAT
    By KPH in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 07:38 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.