Chain lube- Mtbr.com

Thread: Chain lube

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Chain lube

Hi,

I'm new to mountain biking and am looking to get a decent chain lube. I've searched in the forums and there are a lot of threads, but they all seem to be posts from the southern US and talk about products I've never heard of, such as Rock n Roll gold, or blue. Are these available here at bike shops?

So far from reading different posts, I have figured out that a wax based lube is best. Especially if riding on dirt and dusty trails. So, what is everyone in Southern Ontario using?
    Is their anything good at Crappy tire or should I visit my local bike retailer?

X-Ray Guy
    I go between Pro Gold Prolink Chain lube (most of the time) and Tri Flow Lube for wet/muddy situations.

Lube is pretty much personal preferance from what ive learned. But getting it from an LBS or MEC is advisable and not crappy tire

Rocking on a Rocky
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Whatever product you do get, (and you are right there are tons of different products out there and according to the marketing each and every one is the best!).

If possible I'd choose one for dry conditions and one for wet and as Jawz and RockyJo1 both gave suggestions first maybe try those.

Biggest thing regardless of brand is try not to over-lube. I put my bike in my work stand (lean it against the wall) and shake my bottle of lube, sit on the ground and apply 1 drop to each link individually starting with the Master Link. It takes all of a minute, and I have not made a mess, nor wasted any lube. I slowly spin the chain through the gears a bit and let it sit.

I try to do this a couple hours before a ride or at least the day before if possible, this gives the lube time to get into all the nooks of the chain and set up/do its thing.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for the links and suggestions. I will be checking my local bike retailer to see what they have before ordering anything on line. I would rather support a local shop if possible.

My plans are to give my bike and chain a cleaning after ever ride, and a lube after so many km, depending on conditions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You won't have to clean (wash) the chain after every ride, the dry lube I use seems to be good for about 8hrs worth of riding in dry/dusty conditions putting it on as I suggested, maybe take a chain brush to it and brush off any accumulated dust.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    What ever you use just remember to wipe off the excess after its been sitting a few minutes. Any lube on the outside of the chain just collects dirt
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    I'm a big fan of dumond tech. It's the best lube I've ever used & I've tried them all. I don't recomend a lube with lots of solvent like tri flow for your chain
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Chain L is pretty dam good but it stinks like gear oil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    +1 on Dumonde Tech. I began using it this season. Great for dry conditions anyway. That is all we have had all season around Southern Ontario. And yes, application is important. Drop on each link and wipe off excess.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The bike shop I bought both my Treks at stocked Finish Line lubes. I've been using it. Pretty much most shops stock it. I've seen the odd store stock Pedro's lubes as well.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have recently discovered WPL ChainBoost Lubricant which MEC also carries.
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5043-6...nt-%28120ml%29

Lubricates well and made in Canada. Gets great reviews. Just don't use too much and like others have said, wipe excess off chain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for all the replies. I definitely will look into the links provided as well as what my local shop has.

mtbr member
    another vote here for Prolink Gold.

I use it on all my bikes, wet or dry conditions.

I have tried several wax based lubes (Pedro's Ice Wax, White Lightning, MEB home brand etc.) and didn't really like most of them, i found they gummed up the derailleur wheels.

I find Prolink doesn't attract too much dirt when you wipe off the excess after oiling the chain.

Every month or so i use a chain scrubber with purple degreaser as well
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

More than a little slow
    And yet another vote for Prolink Gold. I also don't like wax based lubricants.
    Cheers, Dave