Canadian winter tubless homebrew sealant.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Canadian winter tubless homebrew sealant.

The cold is upon us!
    Just wanted to pick the collective brain here of the cold weather riders who run tubeless about a sealant that will remain viscous yet effective in the frigid winter here. ( I haven't run tubeless during a winter yet.)

I've been playing with a mix of
    1x Latex (mold builder)
    1x Green slime.
    2x antifreeze.
    which has served me well this summer without drying out any faster than the expensive Stans stuff (I change tires often to suit the season and/ or weather) No punctures to speak of so I'm not sure it's the mixture doing its job or I've been very lucky messing around in the bush not to pick up thorns. Either way the low pressures are a must for places like Ravenshoe and local ravines, etc.

I recently bought a set of Nokian Gazza Extreme as I wasn't looking forward to trying to seal up the ghetto stud job I posted here last winter so I'm going to mount these on and off as the weather calls for it. If it's anything like last winter the studs are going to be an absolute must, however having the machine screws drag on the ice and pavement (as effective as they were) meant a good workout from resistance and bad cornering on every ride. Plus the new tread pattern looks like it'll be a tank in the snow. Just want to make sure they stay sealed in the cold at low pressures.

Feedback appreciated. Cheers.
    Last edited by chuckeieio; 11-18-2014 at 04:39 PM.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I made a couple batches using a recipe I found on another forum here. One of the guys involved seemed to know his chemistry.

I don't have the recipe on hand so I can't give exact quantities, but it was about 1:1:1 of latex, propylene glycol and deionized water, with a touch of xanthan gum and a some ammonia. The propylene glycol freezes at about -60. Mixed with water it'll freeze somewhere between 0 and -60.

It's worked well for me.

mtbr member
    I'll be following this thread, I'm contemplating going tubeless on the FB.

Also, not sure how hard it id to source DI water but if anyone needs any and can meet up in Brampton or Mississauga I'm happy to give it away, I have a DI filter for my reef tank so have access to as much as needed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Easily available. It's used to top up car batteries that are not maintenance free. $3 per gallon at Canadian Tire.

mtbr member
    I think that is distilled water. DI water term in our industry is to refer to De-Ionized water. RO for Reverse osmosis and UF for Ultra Filtered. Any of the them should work for this application. Distilled water is commonly found in drug stores as well. I have a 5 stage RO filter for my drinking water at home. I don't think the purity of the water is that crucial for this mixture.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I use Orange Seal all winter in my Fatty with no real issues
    www.abikeslife.com ontario bike stuff!

WolfPak Racing! :thumbsup:
    https://www.facebook.com/wolfpakracingcanada

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ive been on Home Brew for a couple years now. The antifreeze will help with, well, freezing lol. I havent had any winter issues in my time on the trails.

mtbr member
    I was curious so emailed to Stan's ( I use stan's as I am too lazy to mix up my own homebrew) and here is what Stan's say about their sealant,

The sealant has been tested to -30F in Antarctica. It can still seal holes at that temperature.
    Bob Nunnink
    Domestic Sales & Marketing Manager
    Stan's NoTubes
    202 Daniel Zenker Dr
    Big Flats, NY 14814
    Phone: (607) 562-2877 x 208

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I think that is distilled water. DI water term in our industry is to refer to De-Ionized water. RO for Reverse osmosis and UF for Ultra Filtered. Any of the them should work for this application. Distilled water is commonly found in drug stores as well. I have a 5 stage RO filter for my drinking water at home. I don't think the purity of the water is that crucial for this mixture.
    The chemist was specific about the deionized water. Free ions in the solutions are a starting point for globs. He also pointed out that CO2 from a cartridge will dissolve into the water (creating free ions) and accelerate glob growth. I've had Stans dry up into rubber balls. Mine has never done it to me.

mtbr member
    That's interesting. I was wondering why the DI.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stans
    The sealant has been tested to -30F in Antarctica.
    I hope they had some other reason to be in Antarctica other than just testing tire sealant at -30F....
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up mixing an extra half part antifreeze just to help keep it fluid. I filled up the Nokians for the first time this morning with it and it set up a dozen or more sidewall pinholes with less than a drop out of each so it's still doing its job. Got out for a few hr at Durham forest at -6c and had no issues so far. I ran at about 28psi just to be safe and it was all there when I got home.
    GTA
    Ontario