Canadian Online Bike Stores!!- Mtbr.com

Apr 2004

Canadian Online Bike Stores!!

Ive noticed that all the online bike stores are American. Anyone have some candian sites they use???? Your help would be appreciated,

Jay

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Canada online...

I found this thread on the "best deals" forum...searched for Canada, got quite a few related hits. Anyway, here are a few mentioned (more can be found by looking at the thread).

"In order of how good the service was when I bought from them:

www.ramsays-online.com (in Nova Scotia, 8$ flat rate shipping)

www.bikecanada.com (contact them for current prices, their site is so out of date)

www.bikeroom.com (the one with the biggest inventory, unfortunately, their a bunch of jacka$$ and 90% of the time what you want is BO or out of stock)

Good luck!"

I've looked through them and prices don't seem much better that at your LBS, at least when compared to the deals on the US sites.

Mar 2004
    Yeah, I know what you meen... after much searching I finally found a great online store that is situated in Kitchener.. they have a lot of great stuff, and they are very nice and helpfull.
    It's Braun's online.. And it's great that they are in Ontario, and Canadian..!!
    Hope this helps
    Cheers

b_r

http://www.brauns.com

Jun 2004
    Such HORRIBLE, horrible, horrible, Web sites. Well Brauns is almost acceptable but the others listed here are just gross.

Edit: They could be great stores though...I haven't bought from any of them.
    Last edited by ions; 07-11-2004 at 10:00 AM.

Apr 2004
    Thanks for the help so far, just sucks because there is so few Canadian online stores!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again,

Jay

Crank monkey

I've used bikeroom.com a couple of times..

and never had a problem with them. They've usually shipped quickly, and sometimes have some good deals that are comparable to the big US online stores like Jenson and pricepoint, once you factor in shipping, taxes, exchange rate, etc...
    Cheers,
    Smytty

Apr 2004

bikeroom....

i know a lot of people have had bad experiences with bikeroom.com but not me. i've ordered from them and will continue to do so. they've been fast and occasionally have good deals. keep in mind that if you order out of province you don't have to pay PST. that brauns.com site is brutal, btw.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    It seems to me that dealing with Bikeroom.com is a hit or miss proposition.

I have placed orders with them too numerous to count. By comparison to another B.C. based retailer, MEC, I find Bikeroom to be extremely slow in getting your goods to you.

At least half of the time that I order from them, they screw up in some fashion, whether it be wrong sizing, wrong part, or some other problem. They don't respond to e-mail in a timely fashion, if at all.

I think they're smoking too much B.C. bud over there or something, because nobody I've ever dealt with has been more inconsistent than them.

What they do have going for them is the best prices and selection overall than any other online shop in Canada.

This has just been my experience so far......hopefully, yours will be better.

Mike

I already rode that
    BC bud where?
    oh nm

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I checked the bikeroom web site and their prices weren't any better than MEC...

I looked at a Primal Jersey that MEC carries for $52, they want $72. Some Ritchey tires I was looking at were 1.50 more, why would I buy anything over the web when I could get it for less at a store, where I can see and check out the goods?

These CAD sites are only good for those who can't make it to a LBS, but for us with an LBS around, no way would I pay more for online.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    that brauns.com site is brutal, btw.
    You talk'n about the site itself, or the service..? Mehh, oh well, I haven't had a problem with them, they return my e-mails asap, and are more than ready to answer any questions I have and are quick to send me my stuff... Everyone has on days and off days. But regardless, I've had nothing but good experiences with them.. To each his own.

b_r

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_riot
    You talk'n about the site itself, or the service..? Mehh, oh well, I haven't had a problem with them, they return my e-mails asap, and are more than ready to answer any questions I have and are quick to send me my stuff... Everyone has on days and off days. But regardless, I've had nothing but good experiences with them.. To each his own.

b_r
    just talkin' about the site. they may be a great shop, i dunno. i'm pricing out a fox vanilla r 125mm right now. i'll send 'em an email and see what they can do for me.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    I checked the bikeroom web site and their prices weren't any better than MEC...

I looked at a Primal Jersey that MEC carries for $52, they want $72. Some Ritchey tires I was looking at were 1.50 more, why would I buy anything over the web when I could get it for less at a store, where I can see and check out the goods?

These CAD sites are only good for those who can't make it to a LBS, but for us with an LBS around, no way would I pay more for online.
    Yeah, for what MEC does sell on-line they have just about everyone beat. Unfortunately they only carry a lot of parts in store and they don't sell forks. Also part selection varies greatly from store to store - the Calgary and Vancouver shops have SO much more stuff than the one in TO (which makes sense). I've ordered from MEC several times and for service they're tough to beat - they provide 2 confirmation emails plus a tracking number. Right now I need a new fork and am looking at the 125 mm fox vanilla R and really doubt I'm gonna find one at any shop in TO for cheaper than what bikeroom has it one for ($519.99).

Apr 2004

corerat.com

just thought i'd bump corerat.com as well. based out of squamish, bc - they only sell their own line but they have awesome customer service and really make great stuff. give 'em a call - angie (the owner of the company) actually answers the phone and responds to all email. i've ordered a stem and crash pad from her last year and both have saved my knees and nuts SO many times they've paid for themselves countless times over, they also make my ride look extra pimp! just ordered a delux jacket, last years stock on sale, from them yesterday and angie provided a confirmation email about 5 minutes after the order was sent.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    "I checked the bikeroom web site and their prices weren't any better than MEC..."

-Noonievut

Yes, for some things, you're right. But like 12XU said, they don't carry a very large selection of parts.

Actually, before Bikeroom expanded their web site to the one you see today, their prices were, for the most part, much better.

However, a few months ago they hooked up with the parts supplier QBP, which has broadened their catalogue exponentially, but they've lost a good deal of flexibility that they once had as a regular bike shop, and some of the personal touch as well.

Like anything else, you have to shop around to see where the best prices are. Personally, I try to send my business to MEC, because I like what they stand for, and I know that they stand behind their products 100%.

One thing that has me puzzled though....

If you order from MEC online, your stuff comes from B.C. They charge you 8% PST (Ontario) and GST. If you order from Bikeroom, they don't charge you the PST.

What gives?

Mike

Apr 2004
    the pst thing had me wondering as well. i've ordered a few things on-line that weren't in stock in the TO store and got nailed with PST each time despite the parts shipping from the richmond, BC warehouse. i've been meaning to send them an email about that for awhile.

I already rode that
    Yeah, for what MEC does sell on-line they have just about everyone beat. Unfortunately they only carry a lot of parts in store and they don't sell forks. Also part selection varies greatly from store to store - the Calgary and Vancouver shops have SO much more stuff than the one in TO (which makes sense). I've ordered from MEC several times and for service they're tough to beat - they provide 2 confirmation emails plus a tracking number. Right now I need a new fork and am looking at the 125 mm fox vanilla R and really doubt I'm gonna find one at any shop in TO for cheaper than what bikeroom has it one for ($519.99).
    Toronto should have the same parts and stuff as the other MEC stores but anyways...
    Looking around the shops here in TO and talking to the guys and you might find a store selling the fork for that much or even a lil more. I'm always willing to pay a lil more ( but not much! ) on some things like a fork. Since if something goes wrong I dont have to send it back so far and such, just makes things easier to deal with the LBS.

Like I was looking at some websites for the WTB hubs and for the price bikeroom has the best price over any US site so far. Just have to look around though and sometimes the local stores have it for almost the same price.

Wannabe
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor
    "I checked the bikeroom web site and their prices weren't any better than MEC..."

-Noonievut

Yes, for some things, you're right. But like 12XU said, they don't carry a very large selection of parts.

Actually, before Bikeroom expanded their web site to the one you see today, their prices were, for the most part, much better.

However, a few months ago they hooked up with the parts supplier QBP, which has broadened their catalogue exponentially, but they've lost a good deal of flexibility that they once had as a regular bike shop, and some of the personal touch as well.

Like anything else, you have to shop around to see where the best prices are. Personally, I try to send my business to MEC, because I like what they stand for, and I know that they stand behind their products 100%.

One thing that has me puzzled though....

If you order from MEC online, your stuff comes from B.C. They charge you 8% PST (Ontario) and GST. If you order from Bikeroom, they don't charge you the PST.

What gives?

Mike
    If MEC is incorporated federally they have to charge PST or if they are incorporated in the province you are ordering from.

I believe thats how it works anyways.

C

Mar 2004

Good job!

just thought i'd bump corerat.com as well. based out of squamish, bc - they only sell their own line but they have awesome customer service and really make great stuff. give 'em a call - angie (the owner of the company) actually answers the phone and responds to all email. i've ordered a stem and crash pad from her last year and both have saved my knees and nuts SO many times they've paid for themselves countless times over, they also make my ride look extra pimp! just ordered a delux jacket, last years stock on sale, from them yesterday and angie provided a confirmation email about 5 minutes after the order was sent.
    Yeah, Core Rat's awsome.. I got the shin / knee gards and they are one of the best investments I've made.. they are super comfy, I hardly notice them while I'm riding.. Of course there is a break in period as with most things, but they are wicked. Haven't ordered anything since, but I'm sure I will in the future..!!

Cheers

b_r

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Mec

I work in downtown T.O. so I go to MEC all the time, haven't ordered online though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Another vote for MEC

MEC has by far the most professional, comprehensive, and up-to-date site of all these retailers. And although I can't speak for the other shops since I haven't dealt with them, I've only had positive experience with MEC.

I think if a company's going to do business over the web then it's worth it for them to take the extra effort and spend the extra money to ensure their website looks professional and that it's regularly updated.

That said, I must add that I am in no way affiliated with MEC and am just a member/customer.

Looking for Adventure

When looking for high end parts

I find WWW.SPEEDGOAT.COM the best, which is American.
    I've noticed that Free Trade has finally kicked in for ordering bike parts from the U.S..

For my last order of $300 CAN, I paid only $5 import duty and $9.10 for GST. No PST for U.S. orders. That is the cheapest shipping costs I have paid in years. Don't ask me how they calculated the GST.

SpeedGoat uses USPS, which arrives in Canada through Purolator. This appears to be the cheapest way to ship, and makes ordering from the U.S. now very competitive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    just a note to warn people to ONLY use USPS, or that $5 import duty will be a lot higher than $5 (brokerage fees)

T.Dot Represent

th only decent one u guys have shown...

othere then bikeroom was speedgoat the rest... where kinda crappy!!! COME ON CANADIAN ENTRAPRENEURS MAKE A DECENT SITE!!!!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    I find WWW.SPEEDGOAT.COM the best, which is American.
    I've noticed that Free Trade has finally kicked in for ordering bike parts from the U.S..

For my last order of $300 CAN, I paid only $5 import duty and $9.10 for GST. No PST for U.S. orders. That is the cheapest shipping costs I have paid in years. Don't ask me how they calculated the GST.

SpeedGoat uses USPS, which arrives in Canada through Purolator. This appears to be the cheapest way to ship, and makes ordering from the U.S. now very competitive.
    Free trade has always been in effect for American made parts. You can get charged GST though.

I got burned on ebay for a jersey that I bought from the US that was made in Italy. Person actually put the full value of the item on the package too. Boo!

Ask them to put warrenty replacement or gift if you can.

X-Ray Guy
    still small but growing, havent bought anything from them but considering

Smooth Shifting

Aug 2004
    There's also Silent Sports which is online and Canadian.

Jun 2004
    Jensen and pricepoint both ship USPS or FedEx International..so no brokerage fees..unless they've changed their shipping companies recently

Wannabe
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BenDavidson
    Jensen and pricepoint both ship USPS or FedEx International..so no brokerage fees..unless they've changed their shipping companies recently
    There are no borkerage fees with Fedex international?

T.Dot Represent
    sorry fellas butr what are brokerage fees? is that another word for customs duties?
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by finchy
    sorry fellas butr what are brokerage fees? is that another word for customs duties?
    a broker has to be brought in to clear your item through customs. the brokerage fee is what the broker charges for their service. it's added onto duties, etc. and yes, fedex international does charge brokerage fees.

Jun 2004
    a broker has to be brought in to clear your item through customs. the brokerage fee is what the broker charges for their service. it's added onto duties, etc. and yes, fedex international does charge brokerage fees.
    Fedex International Priority includes Brokerage Fees, however you will be responsible for import duties.
    Yes they charge but included

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    I have a question here to all the geniuses who don't buy from bike store for big items like fork:

Where do you go to get your fork fix? Who do you talk to about warranty issue?

Cause if the bike store is useless to you, why do you knock on the shop's door expecting a favor for your broken fork that you bought on the internet?

When you see a price online that is cheaper then you LBS, it's because they never have to deal with you once the item is shipped! They don't have to install the fork on your bike of fix that clunking noise coming out of the headset that you pressed by yourself... They don't need to know your name and how many pounds of air you like in your SPV shock...

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying not to buy online cause i do so myself for small stuff... But i would never try to buy a fork online!

Service means something!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the same note, the same thing is happening in various bike store across north america: If you didn't buy it here, we're not fixing it!

Lots of store started a few years back to stop fixing bikes from stores like Wal-Mart / Zellers / Canadian Tire because the bikes are not properly assembled and the bikes are always broken. The types of customers who buy discount bikes do not want to pay to get them fixed... That's why they stop servicing those bikes.

I believe for the good of the sport retailing buiseness, shop should not return forks (or any other items) that wasn't bought in there store. Cause a customer who walks in to ask for a favor may not be profitable in the long run... And the retailer just wasted is time (and not getting any money in return) on working FOR that same customer.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJay
    I have a question here to all the geniuses who don't buy from bike store for big items like fork:

Where do you go to get your fork fix? Who do you talk to about warranty issue?

Cause if the bike store is useless to you, why do you knock on the shop's door expecting a favor for your broken fork that you bought on the internet?
    1. If I have a fork problem I'll ask in the suspension forums here first. If that doesn't work I'll call Fox direct.
    2. Warranty issues can be handled directly by the manufacturer. I've dealt with Avid, Shimano and Marzocchi in the past and all have been fairly responsive in dealing with my issues.
    3. Most bike stores ARE useless to me and I WOULDN'T knock on the shop's door expecting a favor.

X-Ray Guy
    i figure if im dropping big money on a part i get it where its cheapest and i should learn how to install it... now i did buy a crank off of ebay and had my LBS install it for me...he still made $20....If he dint wanna do it...theres another 12 bike shops in the area im sure would be glad to take my money. If price isnt bad at an LBS ill buy from there...if i can save more than $20...after shipping and all....its worth it to me...but hey im a student... but who really has $20 to blow over and over.

LA CHÈVRE
    Well, I just placed an order at bikeroom.com, email a quick question before I did, got an answer minutes later, they had the parts I wanted in stock and I'll be getting it monday for cheaper, including shipping, than most LBS over here that don't have the parts and take weeks to get it (Shimano XT-XTR metallic disc brake pads). Dave even called me to confirm that he was shipping the right part and to confirm it will leave today. So, unless I don't get the pads, I'm happy about their service.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

bi-winning
    I find most of the sites are pretty poor. comparing prices, some charge more than a LBS, some a little less. so i don't see the point. most have a limited selection as well. i guess i just won't buy bike parts then:P there all too expensive. lol. the us retailers seem to be the best deal. however all the shipping and brokerage fees and taxes seem to add up pretty quick...
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Jun 2004
    I'm actually going to be making a big order with Jensen within a few weeks..I just finished off comparing the pricing of the stuff I'm buying and the savings are huge! Some of the items on Jensen really add up the savings which make up for the shipping/brokerage (which is a fee of $26 or something american which includes brokerage) - heres a few examples

Single Digit 7's
    - $71 dollars at LBS a pop
    - $25 American at Jensen (around 35 Canadian) a pop

Single Digit 7 Levers
    - $88 for the pair at LBS
    - $40 American at Jensen (around 60 Canadian) for the pair

Chris King Headset
    - $180 at LBS
    - $115 American at Jensen ($160)

these savings really add up even when you throw in the shipping cost, so however much I like to support my LBS, I just don't have the money to throw around when I can get the parts much cheaper online from the big U.S retailers like Jensen, but if its not too big of a difference (tubes, tires and other small purchases) I still support my LBS

some kind of hero...

Watch the Shipping Charges...

Quote Originally Posted by BenDavidson
    I'm actually going to be making a big order with Jensen within a few weeks..I just finished off comparing the pricing of the stuff I'm buying and the savings are huge! Some of the items on Jensen really add up the savings which make up for the shipping/brokerage (which is a fee of $26 or something american which includes brokerage) - heres a few examples

Single Digit 7's
    - $71 dollars at LBS a pop
    - $25 American at Jensen (around 35 Canadian) a pop

Single Digit 7 Levers
    - $88 for the pair at LBS
    - $40 American at Jensen (around 60 Canadian) for the pair

Chris King Headset
    - $180 at LBS
    - $115 American at Jensen ($160)

these savings really add up even when you throw in the shipping cost, so however much I like to support my LBS, I just don't have the money to throw around when I can get the parts much cheaper online from the big U.S retailers like Jensen, but if its not too big of a difference (tubes, tires and other small purchases) I still support my LBS
    Last time I ordered from Jensen they shipped by courier. The brokerage fees couriers charge offset the savings completely, so you are better off buying locally. If they send US Post, the brokerage is a flat $5. Deal only with places that ship US Post.

Be careful out there...

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

Sep 2004

Shops..

Ok.. i would have said bikeroom.com up untill my latest purchace from them. I have been waiting about 5 weeks for my wheelset to ship and have received no confirmation that it was backordered .. I have gotten the run around so many times from them .. Most of the time if you email them you get no answer.. Don't even bother calling they have 1 person working who doesn't even return calls. Talk about a mickey mouse shop .. it is to be expected in Canada though with the mass bike cartels .. The local shops are about 10x as worse. I'd have to say jensonusa.com has been my best experience .. other than the relatively low selection of parts .. they should carry more small parts.. But the fedex shipping is blazing fast .. 2 days max to canada .. if you can get over the 26$ usd rate that is.. i have also dealt with beyondbikes.com .. higher than average prices and pretty slow shipping .. i'm sure they are decent from inside the usa but i wouldn't recommend for Canada. Pricepoint.com has wicked prices and rather stinky shipping.. Its more of a USPS problem then theirs but i have had stuff take over 3 weeks to arrive .. once my second order came in before my first .. which was at least 2 weeks apart. I'd also stay away from cambriacycle .. they have prick staff and only use UPS to canada .. which costs you $30+ in brokerage fees alone. As for Canada not having any entrepeneurs .. that would be like Russia having some. Its pretty hard to compete in a Socialist country .. you can't run a shop here without sucking lots of dick let alone walk into one. No such thing as Free Market in Canada :/ I'd love to see better ones mind you but it can never happend. Hell bikeroom is based out of the USA .. if it wasn't for that they wouldn't have such low prices.

X-Ray Guy
    well i jsut got my order from bikeroom....got me 2 panaracer fire XC tires pretty fast...i asked for basic canadapost shipping and i got upgraded to UPS for no charge. got what i wanted and saved a bunch of money...will continue to use them for future purchases till i have a problem.

Jun 2004
    they are usually decent at getting one item orders..but more than 1 and their service goes from excellent to horrid

Sep 2004

We the people ... Bikeroom

Quote Originally Posted by Jawz
    well i jsut got my order from bikeroom....got me 2 panaracer fire XC tires pretty fast...i asked for basic canadapost shipping and i got upgraded to UPS for no charge. got what i wanted and saved a bunch of money...will continue to use them for future purchases till i have a problem.
    They just shipped my stuff .. they seem pretty cool on the phone but thats if u don't get on hold or callback. I still like doing business with bikeroom since its the least hassle of any of them. Also regarding your tires. I have a set on my current ride and i must say they are pretty shitty. They have very skinny walls .. and stuff punctures pretty easily .. i have had several flats .. my walls also started tearing.. I guess what i'm saying is don't use them for anything other than light XC use.. i do some agressive and urban and they were finished in 2 months. Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 with the red around the bead .. not the walls like others i have seen. could be an older model .. the LBS's here like to sell ancient stock. I picked up a set of Maxxis Bling Bling from bikeroom and they are much better made for freeride mind you.

X-Ray Guy
    well see....i ride XC...and i go for combo or light weight and good tread...and theses tires hit those requirements...tried em out today and they chewed up hills like animals..i bought them cuz they were selected in a magazine i read as best tire or something and im pleased with em for XC

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawz
    well see....i ride XC...and i go for combo or light weight and good tread...and theses tires hit those requirements...tried em out today and they chewed up hills like animals..i bought them cuz they were selected in a magazine i read as best tire or something and im pleased with em for XC
    Yea i like the tires too .. very nice tread .. just a bit on the weak side .. they should be fine.

Jun 2004
    some others, not entirely mtb related but worth mentioning

www.labicicletta.com - road bike gear
    www.velotique.com - clothing, etc, no parts