Canada's giving out free passes to National Parks for 2017- Mtbr.com
    9 lives

Canada's giving out free passes to National Parks for 2017

Yoink!

No catch, its to celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary

You only need one per car/group
    You can also just get one for free when you get to the park office.

And enter their travel contest too after ordering! Link

Welcome to Parks Canada Passes and Permits
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    thanks for the link. I sign up for the contest

Moderator Moderator
    Sweet! Ordered mine.

9 lives
    I entered the contest too. I would love to explore and ride in Newfoundland!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I entered the contest too. I would love to explore and ride in Newfoundland!
    It certainly would be. I entered both my wife and I, we've always wanted to see the East Coast.

May the odds be ever in your favour.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks cyclelicious for the link. Ordered the pass and entered the contest. Your odds just went up.

Loud hubs save lives!
    Ordered! Thanks so much for posting this!

mtbr member
    Got mine in the mail yesterday.

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Got mine in the mail yesterday.
    That's good news!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Our pass arrived today
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My 'order number' was upwards of 2.8 million. Perhaps that's the entire number of things ordered from Parks Canada website for the 2016 calendar year. Or perhaps it's going to be very busy at national parks next summer. Although the crowds at Singing Sands/Fathom five last summer were already off the charts.

mtbr member
    Conservationists concerned about free entry to Canada's national parks in 2017 - Canada - CBC News

Looks like they're worried about overcrowding/traffic. (Oops. Didn't think that through.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I wonder how many will travel any great distance because of the pass? Most people will probably use it to visit the nearest NP. I can't see someone deciding to fly from T.O. to Calgary and visit Banff just because the pass was free.

Hopefully the Ontario gov't doesn't follow suit (probably too late). Algonquin would be a no go zone for the year then.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

trail gnome
    It doesn't cover things like camping, glamping, backcountry permits, paid parking, rentals, guides, etc., so I don't see it being a huge incentive to travel great distances to the major parks. Parks that see a lot of day or weekend visits, like PEI National Park, might see a significant increase. But I tend to agree with Revrnd: most will probably use it to visit the nearest national park at home, or wherever their travel happens to take them, not plan a trip around the free pass.

We'll be around Quebec City this summer for the Quebec Singletrack Challenge, so we might use the pass to visit some of the lesser known parks and historical sites there. We might use it for some day trips from home.

When you mention "Parks Canada", people tend to think first of the larger, well known national parks in Alberta and B.C. There are 47 national parks and 171 historical sites. Most of them don't get anywhere near the attention of Banff, Lake Louis, Waterton, Yoho, Glacier, and Jasper, or nearly the same visitor numbers.

I tend to agree with the Parks Canada Staffer in the article linked to above: "We can't actually love our parks to death I think the death of our parks is when nobody wants to come to them and when they don't care about them anymore,"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    It doesn't cover things like camping, glamping, backcountry permits, paid parking, rentals, guides, etc., so I don't see it being a huge incentive to travel great distances to the major parks. Parks that see a lot of day or weekend visits, like PEI National Park, might see a significant increase. But I tend to agree with Revrnd: most will probably use it to visit the nearest national park at home, or wherever their travel happens to take them, not plan a trip around the free pass.

I tend to agree with the Parks Canada Staffer in the article linked to above: "We can't actually love our parks to death I think the death of our parks is when nobody wants to come to them and when they don't care about them anymore,"
    This too:
    Gadd said he is also concerned about crowded attractions, trash and people feeding or getting too close to wildlife.

He hopes there are enough staff to properly maintain the parks and to explain the rules to visitors, especially newbies.
    Too many people ruins the wilderness aspect of it. I'll "corridor" camp at Algonquin (yes I know it's Provincial not National) during the offseason, but interior camp if we go in July or August.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada