Camping at vallée Brad du nord- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Camping at vallée Brad du nord

I am considering going to Quebec for the bike vacation but I need some information. I called vallee Nord they told me that there is no fresh water for drinking. People can swim In river to bath.

Fee is $30 per night
    Wash station is located at shanahon main reception center which is 25 min by car. This is far just to go to for a shower

Does anyone have first hand experience at vallée bras Nord?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Keep on Rockin...
    Yep. I go there lots.

The Neilsen trails (at VBN) are some of the best bike trails I've ridden anywhere. And while the lower trails and campsites get busy on weekends, the Neilsen trails rarely get busy. Especially Neilsn East. The climb to access the start is brutal. Can't wait to get back this season.

Muskoka

Shannahan

Yep I have been to Vallee Bras du Nord Shannahan trails and campground. Nice small primitive campground there, but yes you need to be self supported, no electric or water hookup. Outhouse privy only. ALso sites are small so not great for big RV. Although I have seen them in the parking lot as they have ample parking. Suited best to tents, small campers/trailers etc. The firepits are very nice with a couple or three chairs provided. Bonus is free firewood but you have to go to the big pile and cut/split it yourself. There is water available at the Visitor Centre there, and I have been told " off the record" that it is fine to drink. The visitor centre is maybe 1 or 200 hundred yard bike ride from campground, not 30 minutes! As well there is a pipe coming out of the right side of the fire road climb up to the Neilson trailhead that offers great spring fed water, we filled up there. I think they may let you drive up to get to it. As said before, the riding there is really great and the scenery along the Neilson descent is spectacular.

Link to my pics of Shannahan riding...

https://goo.gl/photos/5dFesusrvC4hipex6
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    where do I go for a shower? The web site post of shower facility. Is this true?
    I can't go to an outhouse. I would suffocate there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    would it better if I go to mont saint anne ? the park has hot showers, ice, fresh water.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    where do I go for a shower? The web site post of shower facility. Is this true?
    I can't go to an outhouse. I would suffocate there.
    I don't recall any showers. A jump in the always cold river is what we do.

The port-a-potties are kept about as clean as a port-a-pottie can be.

Its car camping but with few amenities

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I can echo what others say, just shower in the river. Its camping. If you can't use an outhouse or deal with the lack of other amenities for a few days, maybe stay in the motel?

I thought the campsites were great. Very clean, soft ground, few chairs provided, picnic table and you're a two minute ride to all the trails.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    As well there is a pipe coming out of the right side of the fire road climb up to the Neilson trailhead that offers great spring fed water, we filled up there.
    Just a thing to keep in mind, if you do all of Neilson East you'll now miss that water spot. The road climb to Neilson North is almost all single track now.

Keep on Rockin...
    Oh, something else to consider... in early season the black flies are brutal. We must have hit a peak or something last year as they were the worst I'd ever experienced. Even with head nets and a good soaking in DEET their onslaught was nearly intolerable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Oh, something else to consider... in early season the black flies are brutal. We must have hit a peak or something last year as they were the worst I'd ever experienced. Even with head nets and a good soaking in DEET their onslaught was nearly intolerable.
    Which is strange to read! We went in August last year and while it was north of 40 degrees some days, our group all noticed the absolute lack of any bugs; both on the trail and at the camp site. It was nice!

I went in July a few years ago as well and don't recall many bugs. But yeah I can see how some of those dense wet areas would be pretty damn bad...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Is river water cold?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Do you take shower at visitor center?

mtbr member
    We discovered shower bags on our last camping trip out to the desert.

https://www.amazon.ca/The-Coleman-Co.../dp/B0009PUT20

You'll see some bad reviews claiming they leak but they're cheap enough to buy a couple extras just in case, but we never had any issues.
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

Keep on Rockin...
    Is river water cold?

Very. Regardless of the air temp.

mtbr member
    You could rent a room at Roquemont Hotel in St-Raymond. You can hit trails directly from your hotel room! Riding in St-Raymond is different from Shanahan but also excellent(St-Raymond: berms, flow, jumps Shanahan more rocky, gnarly, stunning view, etc). Then it's a short drive to "accueil Shanahan" (20 min). There is 2 or 3 other campgrounds in St-Raymond but I can't recommend one as I live in Quebec City so I drive to Vallee-Bras-du-Nord when I want to ride... As for flies they are a plea from june to mid-july. No problem when riding but if you have a mechanical or camping, be prepared!

Mont Ste-Anne is good but I really prefer Vallée-Bras-du-Nord or even Sentiers-du-Moulin (hardest trails in Quebec area) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AW2k8u-LNM
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo spring '19...

Keep on Rockin...
    Sentiers-du-Moulin

Very nice!

Have to hit that up this year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Sentiers-du-Moulin

Very nice!

Have to hit that up this year.
    Does this place have good Campsite? Does it have water and shower?

Keep on Rockin...
    Does this place have good Campsite? Does it have water and shower?

Sorry, that I don't know. Never been to that one - I was just saying that I have to hit that up based on the video.

For VBN, like someone said above, and if you are looking for amenities, book a room at the hotel at St. Raymond. It caters to bikes, has a bike shop, and is at the base of the St. Raymond trail system which is nice as well. VBN is about 20 min or so away.

Pretty sure weekends are packed and we avoid that. Hitting up the scene on a weekday is great. (But like I said before, even on a weekend, some of the "farther out" trails don't get busy). Parking and the base area gets too busy on weekends.

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    You could rent a room at Roquemont Hotel in St-Raymond. You can hit trails directly from your hotel room! Riding in St-Raymond is different from Shanahan but also excellent(St-Raymond: berms, flow, jumps Shanahan more rocky, gnarly, stunning view, etc). Then it's a short drive to "accueil Shanahan" (20 min). There is 2 or 3 other campgrounds in St-Raymond but I can't recommend one as I live in Quebec City so I drive to Vallee-Bras-du-Nord when I want to ride... As for flies they are a plea from june to mid-july. No problem when riding but if you have a mechanical or camping, be prepared!

Mont Ste-Anne is good but I really prefer Vallée-Bras-du-Nord or even Sentiers-du-Moulin (hardest trails in Quebec area) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AW2k8u-LNM
    We stayed in St Raymond at the Roquemont Hotel... great place. Comes with it's own brew pub, warm shower and dry comfy bed... and we kept our bikes in the room (I don't like camping). Trail head was at our doorstep. A nice scenic drive to Shanahan. Beautiful trails. I'd go back
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Does fee include breakfast?

mtbr member
    there's a whole thread on Vallee here:

https://forums.mtbr.com/eastern-cana...n-1033896.html
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadmos View Post
    Which is strange to read! We went in August last year and while it was north of 40 degrees some days, our group all noticed the absolute lack of any bugs; both on the trail and at the camp site. It was nice!

I went in July a few years ago as well and don't recall many bugs. But yeah I can see how some of those dense wet areas would be pretty damn bad...
    Early season is usually end of May and June, if these months are dry and sunny - July and August are perfect in terms of flies & mosquitos. However if May and June are cold and wet - flies and mosquitos are going nuts whole July and can stretch till mid August.

Overall safest time in terms of flying bloodsuckers of all types is an Indian Summer -around September, when it is usually dry, not too hot and sunny.

But every year could be abnormal these days, so one never knows.