Camp Fortune XC Trails = no good- Mtbr.com
    Hack Racer

Camp Fortune XC Trails = no good

Just went to camp fortune to do some mountain biking. My 1st time there. I read the reviews here on mtbr thinking it was going to be truely awesome. Not the case. I paid my 5 bucks. Got a crummy map. I'm ok with the map and the 5 bucks. But when you cycle to trail entrance after trail entrace and there are signs saying no bikes allowed and the map clearly indicates it is a mountain bike trail... I get mad. I didn't drive all this way to cycle double track... grrr...

I entered into a trail in which it was marked no cycling allowed by accident when I took a wrong turn. The trail there was awesome. Too bad you aren't allowed to ride on any.

I give camp fortune 0 out of 5 stars...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I saw ads for Camp Fortune before a movie playing in Quebec City and thought to myself that it looked pretty good. Guess not if the trails are mostly closed. At any rate I live in eastern quebec so I'm too far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Were the trails that were closed to bikes on Camp Fortune's property or just in Gatineau Park. I have never heard of trails on fortunes property being closed to riding. In my experience they have a very fun and challenging trails system. I know there are a lot of trails in the park that are closed to riding, but they do get ridden on occasion.

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jason74
    Were the trails that were closed to bikes on Camp Fortune's property or just in Gatineau Park. I have never heard of trails on fortunes property being closed to riding. In my experience they have a very fun and challenging trails system. I know there are a lot of trails in the park that are closed to riding, but they do get ridden on occasion.
    The camp fortune ones were closed. The only ones that were open that I could see were the downhill specific ones. Ones that I didn't really care to try on XC race hardtail bike.

=(

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Camp Fortune isn't really where you go for XC riding, anymore and for that matter, most of the good stuff in the gatineau park proper (outside the camp fortune property) is designated "hiker-only". Just do what the locals do. Ignore the signs. In the ottawa area the best technical singletrack is all in the western greenbelt area of Nepean and south-march highlands area of Kanata. Except for people who physically live near the gatineau park, most XC riders don't much bother with the park itself anymore as the NCC which runs it love skiiers...hate bikers... as such they're slowly turning all the singletrack into fire roads that'll fit the groomers in the winter. A fringe benefit is that it has made it easier to respond to forest fires, which there have been a lot more of lately, usually arson caused by people disgruntled with the NCC management. Its sorta a "burn down a forest and maybe they'll put someone better than the NCC in charge of the park" mentality. Not particularly logical but then logic never applies to the NCC in the first place. This is a organization that answers to NO ONE but the prime minister really, has a secret budget, makes decisions in secret meetings, and talks about protecting the environment while also carving up the forests to put more roads thru the park.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Members who have read this thread: 0