buying from US- Mtbr.com

Thread: buying from US

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

buying from US

Do any of you guys buy from the states? If yes what r the best online shops and how do u avoid getting ripped off with brokerage fees and stuff?

Jun 2004
    im no expert but the best stores to buy from is JensonUSA as they mark all products as "Made in USA" and under NAFTA then there are no duties, also they ship Fedex International Priority which has no brokerage fees but a high initial rate...other than that if you are buying from other online stores check to see how they are shipping..normal FedEx and UPS have high brokerage fees that will screw you..US Postal Service i don't think has brokerage however so try to get it shipped by USPS

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

No good Brokerage Fees

I've had shipments from the US that the brokerage fee was higher than the items ordered. I think it's usually been 40 buck for shuffling some paper.

I ordered some stuff from Nashbar last week & specified regular ground rather than the FEDEX Canada rate. Hopefully it'll go thru that way.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Well, buying from the states can be great if you want the latest mtb gear that has not hit the Canadian market yet. This is the only time I would buy from the states. I bought a race face Turbine crank from Super Go online bike shops at 50% off their retailed price. This sounds like a good deal...........right?
    However, even after considering the fact that the crank is Canadian made and therefore NAFTA laws applied. I still had to pay , freight, provincial taxes and brokage fees from FedEx. By the time it was all over, I figured I saved about 20.00$ cdn. I could of gotten the same deal at my local bike shop!!
    If you do purchase from the states, don't go to Supergo Bike shops!! I have found Airbomb in San Diego much better (I like their shipping method which just done with us postal service, no brokage fees). Just freight and taxes once it gets to your neighbourhood postal outlet.

Hope this helps you dude,

Cheers,

Mark

PS. come and check out my website, become a member and post rides, pictures and your messages. Its free and there for mtb'rs to use.

http://groups.msn.com/PEDALOCTANE/home.msnw

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskyi121
    Do any of you guys buy from the states? If yes what r the best online shops and how do u avoid getting ripped off with brokerage fees and stuff?

Jun 2004
    the general rule is here before you buy make sure you do your research on your shipping and the products you are buying

US/Canada-made = Under NAFTA (meaning no duties)
    USPS/FedEx International Priority (what Jensen uses) = no brokerage (which kills you)

They say I have a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruskyi121
    I stick mainly to ebay "Buy It Now" deals from ebay online stores and make sure I either ship Fedex Priority or USPS....Never regular Fedex or UPS...Never, ever use UPS (brokerage fees are killer)...

Fedex Proirity has high initail shipping cost, but brokerage fees are only $7.50 and then GST and Duty....USPS transfers to Canada Post and the brokerage fee is $5 plus GST and Duty...The bonus of Fedex is you get a tracking number..

I find the ebay guys know what they are doing and they always lowball the value of the package and mark it as a gift...

I have yet to get something from the US that has not been a deal...The latest was 2 Camelbak Mules that totalled about $150Can with shipping, GST and Duty....One Mule is $130 at my LBS...

There are many deals to be had you just have to search and then jump right in...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"