Buying a new bike at the Fall Bikeshow Toronto- Mtbr.com
    DaBomb Molotov rider

Buying a new bike at the Fall Bikeshow Toronto

I've never been to the Toronto Bikeshow before, so I'm wondering what to expect. I'm planning on buying a bike at the show (ideally a versatile bike for around $1000 that can handle urban/dirtjumping and XC). Can I expect to get a good deal on a 2004? If so, what kind of discounts might I expect? Can I expect much choice/variety? Or will there mainly be 2005s?
    I'm a 170lb 6'2" rider, and would love to pick up something like a Norco Sasquatch, Giant STP 1, Specialized Hard Rock Pro Disk, or Brodie Hellion or Bruzza, or will my chances for that be slim?
    Do the sellers prefer cash, or is credit card ok?
    Any tips would be great!
    -London Lad

Jun 2004
    the dealers most likely accept credit card as they are generally TO area dealers that have come to sell off their 2004 stock - though stock might be limited as they are generally selling off whats left from their 2004 lineups

I myself am looking to try to get a good deal on a nice XC bike for 1500-2250 hopefully for a good deal - if not ill buy a 2005 model later on this year or in spring

Jun 2004
    I was going to get a good deal on a 2003 Giant XTC last year, they wanted cash. I wasn't all that willing to buy on the spot so I left it. The price that we determined was cash, it knocks the 3% credit card cost off. I'm sort of glad I never went with the bike, but you can find some really good deals. The only thing you can find though are bikes, frames, wheels. Enless you get there early, items like tires, tubes, and other small items are gone.

DaBomb Molotov rider
    Quote Originally Posted by witcomb
    I was going to get a good deal on a 2003 Giant XTC last year, they wanted cash. I wasn't all that willing to buy on the spot so I left it. The price that we determined was cash, it knocks the 3% credit card cost off. I'm sort of glad I never went with the bike, but you can find some really good deals. The only thing you can find though are bikes, frames, wheels. Enless you get there early, items like tires, tubes, and other small items are gone.
    Thanks for the reply.
    What kind of discounts can you expect on the 2004 retail prices? At this time of the year most bike stores seem to be willing to sell 2004 bikes at 20-30%. Is this the kind of discount you can expect at the show, or even better? And how prepared are they to bicker over the price?

Jan 2004

Buying a bike

Quote Originally Posted by londonlad
    Thanks for the reply.
    What kind of discounts can you expect on the 2004 retail prices? At this time of the year most bike stores seem to be willing to sell 2004 bikes at 20-30%. Is this the kind of discount you can expect at the show, or even better? And how prepared are they to bicker over the price?
    Just buy my Hellion and you'll be all set. Not that I'm biased or anything. Been busy, and by that I mean lazy, but will get ya some pics of it ASAP. Better yet, you're only 10-15 minutes away from me, come over and see it.

DobeManSS

DaBomb Molotov rider
    Quote Originally Posted by DobeManSS
    Just buy my Hellion and you'll be all set. Not that I'm biased or anything. Been busy, and by that I mean lazy, but will get ya some pics of it ASAP. Better yet, you're only 10-15 minutes away from me, come over and see it.

DobeManSS
    Hi, I'm still waiting for your email with pictures

Jun 2004
    so many good deals..i went with a friend both looking for XC bikes, he got a Trek 8000 for 1300 i think and then i got my hands on a stumpjumper comp disc for 1650

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I agree, lots of good deals. I wasn't looking to get a bike this year, but next year might be a different story. Picked up a pair of Airwalk clipless shoes for $15 though.
    Aaron

T.Dot Represent
    i went to the ski show instead....
    i need a fork and there where no deals so i tok my money and went to the ski show and bought some new ski poles and other goodies
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

Jun 2004
    i also got a pair of specialized comp mtns shoes for...130!

DaBomb Molotov rider
    C'mon, post some pics of your new rides! I went with some friends, there were some great deals available for sure, depends on what you were looking for, some bikes only had little discounts.

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by londonlad
    C'mon, post some pics of your new rides! I went with some friends, there were some great deals available for sure, depends on what you were looking for, some bikes only had little discounts.
    ok..hold on - ill have one tomorrow - stumpjumper comp in white :P

mtbr member
    I got an Intense Spider XVP frame!! When I first saw it, it had a tag with regular price - 2999, and I thought "Yeah, in my dreams...".
    About 15-20 minutes later I came back just to look at it - and the 2999 was crossed out and the new price was 1799! It was my size, and no doubt it would be gone in 5 minutes if I had walked away, so I bought it! Now I just need a nice fork for it, and will build it up over th winter.
    I still can't believe it's sitting in my room!

Arek

mtbr member

Wow!!

That's a great score. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I ride an intense tracer and have been very happy with the bike for the last couple of seasons. Did you see any 5.5's there?? I would love to get my hands on one of those at a deep discount.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill
    That's a great score. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I ride an intense tracer and have been very happy with the bike for the last couple of seasons. Did you see any 5.5's there?? I would love to get my hands on one of those at a deep discount.
    No, there weren't any 5.5's out there. There were actually very few nice frames for sale, at any price. I was looking for a frame I could build up as a light xc bike, with racing potential, if I wanted to venture that way. I already have a bigger bike - Yeti AS-X, so I was loking for something that would be completely different.
    The same store I bought the Spider from had a gray Tracer (I think a 2003) for 1699 - also in my size (L), and I looked at it the first time I saw the Spider at 2999. I thought that was a great price as well, but walked away since Tracer wasn't really a frame I had considered before.
    I also found a Titus Racer X (2002, 999) - again, a large frame! - and thought to myself, I think something here wants me to walk out with a frame today! As I made my second round around the place, I walked up to the Spider again, and my heart jumped when I saw the new price. You know the rest.
    I kind of still have some guilt in the back of my mind, because although I realize it was a good deal, I never really expected to find something at the show, and the opportunity kind of took me off guard, and my friend was standing behind me saying "buy it! buy it!! don't even think twice!"... Until now, I was pretty much set on getting the Supergo Turner Burner special - at 950 US it's a steal for sure. And here I am having spent almost twice that, and I still need a fork!
    Oh well, I'm sure the guilt will dissapear the minute I swing my leg over the new build!
    Here's a pic I took right after I got home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Great choice!

Trust me, you'll like the Spider WAY better than the burner. It'll climb like a rocket in comparison. Plus, $950 US plus the conversion, shipping and possibly duty isn't much less than what you paid for the Spider. And this way if there's a problem, the store isn't far away.

Congrats man! Enjoy the ride.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Arek
    No, there weren't any 5.5's out there. There were actually very few nice frames for sale, at any price. I was looking for a frame I could build up as a light xc bike, with racing potential, if I wanted to venture that way. I already have a bigger bike - Yeti AS-X, so I was loking for something that would be completely different.
    The same store I bought the Spider from had a gray Tracer (I think a 2003) for 1699 - also in my size (L), and I looked at it the first time I saw the Spider at 2999. I thought that was a great price as well, but walked away since Tracer wasn't really a frame I had considered before.
    I also found a Titus Racer X (2002, 999) - again, a large frame! - and thought to myself, I think something here wants me to walk out with a frame today! As I made my second round around the place, I walked up to the Spider again, and my heart jumped when I saw the new price. You know the rest.
    I kind of still have some guilt in the back of my mind, because although I realize it was a good deal, I never really expected to find something at the show, and the opportunity kind of took me off guard, and my friend was standing behind me saying "buy it! buy it!! don't even think twice!"... Until now, I was pretty much set on getting the Supergo Turner Burner special - at 950 US it's a steal for sure. And here I am having spent almost twice that, and I still need a fork!
    Oh well, I'm sure the guilt will dissapear the minute I swing my leg over the new build!

sock puppet

which shop was selling Titus Racer X?

was the frame gone by the end of the show?

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    I don't really have any business posting here since I didn't get this at the show.

I wanted to go, but discovered that Silent Sports was selling this one for $2999.99. I was worried about them selling the last one they had which was also in my size, so I bit the bullet Friday night, and brought this one home with me.

Please tell me I couldn't have done any better at the show.......unless of course, I could have.

Either way, I'm glad I got it.

Mike

mtbr member
    I think you would have been better with the Racer X. Are you sure it was a 2002 because I could have sworn it had an RP3 on it. I saw you walking around with the Intenese frame. Were you looking at the Racer X and did somebody tell you it was a good deal and to pick it up? That was me.
    I bought two Nokian studded tires. I1dry called me before I got there about a single tire at the booth right by the entrance. I bought one tire and people kept asking me about it. I told them they were out because I looked for another tire in the pile when I got the first one. On the way out the gf decided to look at some gloves at that booth again and I look down and there is another studded tire there. Woo hoo!
    The gf ended up buying a pair of shoes from the bike shop we always shop at.

Like every year there were a zillion deals on FR and urban frames. I saw a KHS solo one but I couldn't justify it. The big surprise was some good forks on sale too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids
    I think you would have been better with the Racer X. Are you sure it was a 2002 because I could have sworn it had an RP3 on it. I saw you walking around with the Intenese frame. Were you looking at the Racer X and did somebody tell you it was a good deal and to pick it up?
    Hey, yeah, I think I recall that exchange by the Racer X frame! The other Titus - Locomoto - was still there, right? And you said to me to go with the Racer X?
    Anyhow, yes, I'm sure it was an older one - it had just a Float R. And I even asked a guy from that store. Comparing the Racer X and the Spider as far as their racing potential goes - you could argue that either had the edge, I guess. But considering that The Spider was a newer frame, with SPV shock, and is more "trail rideable", I think I made the right choice. That of course, putting the price difference aside.
    If I was after a strictly-race frame, and not willing to spend so much, The Titus would have been an obvious choice.

...Now, if only I could only finaly sell the fork I've been trying to part with since the beginning of the season, it would cover at least part of the damage, and help aliviate my guilt (I told my fiance I got the frame for 950...... ). It was actually funny, after I got the frame I kept hanging out around Cycle Solution's stand to see if anyone was interested in their Breakout, and was going to offer them a better deal . But, no luck, plus excitement of having bought the frame made me split soon afterwards, especially that I knew there was no freaking way in the world I would buy even a tube there anymore

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    I'm pretty sure it was still there when I left, which was around 12.00 - 12.30. As for the name of the store - not sure, but maybe someone else here can identify it. It was right at the back of the building, with the area to try out bikes right behind them. They had some Fuels, Liquids, ht Treks and a few different Konas for sale.

Arek

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor
    I don't really have any business posting here since I didn't get this at the show.

I wanted to go, but discovered that Silent Sports was selling this one for $2999.99. I was worried about them selling the last one they had which was also in my size, so I bit the bullet Friday night, and brought this one home with me.

Please tell me I couldn't have done any better at the show.......unless of course, I could have.

Either way, I'm glad I got it.

Mike
    Nice bike, course now you gotta hit some stunts & dh trails

One of my friends missed out by a few minutes on a Team DH Norco with 888R, Hadley hubs, etc... totally pimped for $3400!! ... he had to take a walk and think about it for a couple of minutes and it was gone by the time he got back.

I wonder why?

Sports Swap was selling the Racer X frame.

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    They are located on Yonge Street (east side), a couple of blocks south of Eglinton. They were asking $900 for it when I saw it at the Bike Show. It's a 2002 model. I don't know if they sold it though.

Good Luck.

I wonder why?

Great deal on those tires.

Two Nokians!!! Way to go! Now you can ride with us all winter!!!!!

I can't wait until my thumb heals, going to specialst on Wed.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    Nice bike, course now you gotta hit some stunts & dh trails

One of my friends missed out by a few minutes on a Team DH Norco with 888R, Hadley hubs, etc... totally pimped for $3400!! ... he had to take a walk and think about it for a couple of minutes and it was gone by the time he got back.

Thanks!

"...course now you gotta hit some stunts & dh trails "

Yep, that's the plan!!!!

The Team DH would have been nice to get, but I was already pushing my luck with my wife.....

Thank God she's so understanding!

Mike

DaBomb Molotov rider

DaBomb Molotov

I ended up getting a custom DaBomb Molotov at the Toronto Fall Bike Show for an amazing deal (half MSRP), considering the components it has: RockShox Psylo XC U-Turn fork adjustable from 80-125mm for different conditions, eyeletted Rhyno Lite rims, Kenda Kinetic tires, 6" mechanical disc brakes, Deore drivetrain, FSA AlphaDrive crank with Blackspire RingGod bashguard, VP-550 Alloy BMX style platform pedals, SDG Freestyle seat, FSA "The Pig" Headset, Pazzaz handlebars, OURY Mountain Bike Grips, plus a lovely lightning paint job! The picture below is unfortunately somewhat dull because of the dark weather, and doesn't do the bike justice.

It's a Dual Slalom style bike, 16" frame, 33lb total weight, and is perfect for light free riding, urban, dirt jumping, and street riding - exactly the versatility I was after. And the short wheel-base and small frame is great for some trials type moves, popping up the front wheel, moving the bike around in the air, and doing other tricks. Let's go ride!

DaBomb Molotov rider
    Gotta love that special edition lightning paint job too!