Buying a (cheap) fat bike in Toronto- Mtbr.com
    Baby Bear is in the house

Buying a (cheap) fat bike in Toronto

Where's the best (read: cheapest) place to get a fat bike in the Greater Toronto Area?
    Is Bikesdirect my only option to get one in the USD500 range?
    I'm finding the procedure to pick up the package at a US address a bit convoluted.
    'appreciate any input.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Used

mtbr member
    I would look at used before buying one of these really low cost bikes. I looked at the specs and they are really quite low end. Assuming that the frame is worthwhile to upgrade the components later, the first thing about the cheap fat bikes are the tires. A decent fat tire will set you back $150-200.00. That is close to half the price of the bike. There is a reason for this. Vrubber tires are ok for summer, but suck on icy conditions and wherever the going gets tough. I have a riding buddy that struggled on these his first season and he is a good rider. With the exchange and getting the bike to wherever you are, the cost will be close enough to getting a low end Norco or other bike from a bike shop. The biggest issue with all low end bikes are tires. In the lower end bikes at looked at this site, the component level is at least one level lower than anything I have seen from Norco, Surly or any of the other lower priced fat bikes. this is all from memory from last year when I helped someone get their Norco. You may want to look into MTB Parts Finder on Facebook and on Pink Bike. Fat bikes are easier to deal with used as there is no suspension to worry about which is often very pricey to fix if anything goes wrong. Just my 2 cents.

I forgot about RSD. You may want to look at these guys as well. I have heard good things from two people that own these:

RSD Our Bikes - RSD
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Used or bikesdirect.

I got a Boris X7 this time last year. If you're used to expensive bikes it will definitely feel 'low end'. Agree with secret agent the tires are a weak point. I ended up getting a great deal on On One Floaters which made a world of difference.

I really enjoyed the X7 all winter and look forward to using it again this winter. That said the shipping (only to the US) is a hassle, plus I added some nicer bits from my xc bike to it (stem, graphite bars, dropper post, seat etc) so my comparison isn't really a stock X7.

EDIT also I recall from my searching last year some shops that rent fatty's sell them off this time of year, might want to look at that option too.
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I can't comment on location for a lower end bike with regards to bikesdirect as I was also looking at them last year (didn't get one) - but as Greg_o said some places do sell their rental fleet around now. I had a buddy get 2 Norco's from Hardwood Hills (rentals) I think it was around this time of the year and the price was sweet! well worth it. I can't recall if it was advertised or not, may be worth a call to see.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Check out fat bike trader on FB

mtbr member
    Look for a shop that sells Norco as that is currently the cheapest fat bike on the market. You should be able to find their retailers on their website. Also note what others have said about tires. Also note the Bigfoot is OEM with vrubber tires.

Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    I can't comment on location for a lower end bike with regards to bikesdirect as I was also looking at them last year (didn't get one) - but as Greg_o said some places do sell their rental fleet around now. I had a buddy get 2 Norco's from Hardwood Hills (rentals) I think it was around this time of the year and the price was sweet! well worth it. I can't recall if it was advertised or not, may be worth a call to see.

D
    This is a cool suggestion so I sent them a message.
    Unfortunately, given the season, all their old fat bikes have been sold. I'll have to wait until spring for the next batch.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I would look at used before buying one of these really low cost bikes. I looked at the specs and they are really quite low end. Assuming that the frame is worthwhile to upgrade the components later, the first thing about the cheap fat bikes are the tires. A decent fat tire will set you back $150-200.00. That is close to half the price of the bike. There is a reason for this. Vrubber tires are ok for summer, but suck on icy conditions and wherever the going gets tough. I have a riding buddy that struggled on these his first season and he is a good rider. With the exchange and getting the bike to wherever you are, the cost will be close enough to getting a low end Norco or other bike from a bike shop. The biggest issue with all low end bikes are tires. In the lower end bikes at looked at this site, the component level is at least one level lower than anything I have seen from Norco, Surly or any of the other lower priced fat bikes. this is all from memory from last year when I helped someone get their Norco. You may want to look into MTB Parts Finder on Facebook and on Pink Bike. Fat bikes are easier to deal with used as there is no suspension to worry about which is often very pricey to fix if anything goes wrong. Just my 2 cents.

I forgot about RSD. You may want to look at these guys as well. I have heard good things from two people that own these:

RSD Our Bikes - RSD
    Well noted. Dreaming of RSD, but way out of my league. Maybe someday
    Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg View Post
    Look for a shop that sells Norco as that is currently the cheapest fat bike on the market. You should be able to find their retailers on their website. Also note what others have said about tires. Also note the Bigfoot is OEM with vrubber tires.
    Ye, seriously considering the Bigfoot.
    I was supposed to check them out at the Toronto Fall Bike Blowout, but an accident (broke my wrist) prevented me from going.
    Thanks for the input

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    the bigfoot is a great bike. I have the 6.1 and love it. Bang for the buck don't think you can beat it. although rocky Mountain now has a new one that looks reasonable

mtbr member
    I think the 2016 Rocky Mountain Blizzard 10 is now the cheapest fat bike you can get at a bike shop at $1300.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg View Post
    I think the 2016 Rocky Mountain Blizzard 10 is now the cheapest fat bike you can get at a bike shop at $1300.
    Yep! LivOutside in Bracebridge (formerly Muskoka Outfitters) has a bunch of these in stock. Worth taking a look at, they also operate on Facebook as FatBikes Canada
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland