Building at three stage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Building at three stage

Are there any organized build days? I haven't found any bigger features at 3 stage, and I'm interested in adding some. Ladder bridges, drops, jumps, etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I'm not sure who the stewards of the trails are these days, but I would not recommend building your own stuff without permission. It's part of provincial park and Ontario Parks gets super pissed off with that kind of thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Not to mention that word on the street is that 3 Stage is already on the verge of being in jeopardy with riding access due to excessive use and trial building.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Any idea who to talk to?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
    Any idea who to talk to?
    Why even bring up adding new features to the stewards? Canadmos wrote that 3 stage may be in jeopardy. Features and tricks are probably one of the reasons they want to close. If you push your luck, it may speed up the process of closing trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Why even bring up adding new features to the stewards? Canadmos wrote that 3 stage may be in jeopardy. Features and tricks are probably one of the reasons they want to close. If you push your luck, it may speed up the process of closing trails.
    If we can't even have a polite discussion about it with the trail stewards, what hope do we have? There are tons of officially sanctioned trails with technical features around Canada. We just need to work with the parks department and respect their wishes.

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
    If we can't even have a polite discussion about it with the trail stewards, what hope do we have? There are tons of officially sanctioned trails with technical features around Canada. We just need to work with the parks department and respect their wishes.
    Don't do it. It always comes down to the insurance companies who cover the land, and they really, really don't like to see "technical" features. It won't fly, unless the land is private land, and someone can hand out a waiver to you and you pay an admission fee.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom View Post
    Don't do it. It always comes down to the insurance companies who cover the land, and they really, really don't like to see "technical" features. It won't fly, unless the land is private land, and someone can hand out a waiver to you and you pay an admission fee.
    What's different about the trail systems in BC? There are tons of public and freely accessible trails that have wicked technical features. Why can't this work in Ontario?

trail gnome
    Case law for one. Ontario courts have ruled less favourably than B.C. for the landowner when it comes to liability cases. As a result, some public landowners in Ontario are a bit leery of taking on additional risk with advanced trail features. See "Campbell v. Bruce (County)"

I'm not saying that I agree with the landowners or that their concerns are justified, or that I am ok with the situation; just that this is the situation.

I see no harm in asking the trail stewards politely if more advanced features can be added, and offering to help with that construction if they approve.

But if they think it's ill-advised (and it sounds like it might be in this case), then please respect their decision.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    Case law for one. Ontario courts have ruled less favourably than B.C. for the landowner when it comes to liability cases. As a result, some public landowners in Ontario are a bit leery of taking on additional risk with advanced trail features. See "Campbell v. Bruce (County)"

I'm not saying that I agree with the landowners or that their concerns are justified, or that I am ok with the situation; just that this is the situation.

I see no harm in asking the trail stewards politely if more advanced features can be added, and offering to help with that construction if they approve.

But if they think it's ill-advised (and it sounds like it might be in this case), then please respect their decision.
    Thanks for the information. That lawsuit is really frustrating to read - some of the arguments used by the plaintiff to "prove" negligence of the county are total nonsense. I'm not sure how anything could be built in a way to completely avoid liability, there will always be some ridiculous angle to argue.

Guess I'm moving to BC