budget fat bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: budget fat bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

budget fat bike

Fat bikes are now available at Canadian tire, iron horse branded. That brand has been around for a while no idea who owns and operates it now. Bike comes standard with 7 speed freewheel, tourney derailleur, and pro - something disk brakes. Looks like the old style loose bearing bottom bracket. a bargain at 399.99? It actually looks pretty sharp despite the low-ish price point.

mtbr member
    If it's the same one I saw, it is a dollar per pound.
    Burnt Norton

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    If it's the same one I saw, it is a dollar per pound.
    Sometimes rants get posted on other subforums of mtbr expaining that the cost of bikes is way out of whack for the cost of raw materials that goes into them (which isn't a reasonable measure, of course). This sounds like the perfect bike for them!
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    So that's a 400 pound fat bike? Gonna hurt on the climbs!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor View Post
    So that's a 400 pound fat bike? Gonna hurt on the climbs!
    I think it may actually be a DH fatbike, as it has only the one big ring up front. In which case, the weight doesn't hurt so much. Plus, there's the kickstand that can be removed if you like.

mtbr member
    kickstand you say? If they throw in some hockey cards in the spokes and a nice bell, I might be interested. I think this is different from the bike I saw in the spring. It was more like a fat bike cruiser sort of, but honestly it was a boat anchor.
    Burnt Norton

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    I think it may actually be a DH fatbike, as it has only the one big ring up front. In which case, the weight doesn't hurt so much. Plus, there's the kickstand that can be removed if you like.
    i would not remove the kickstand from this fat bike - you may need it when you stop to rehydrate.

kidding aside - these bikes will find their happy owners, who will ride them a couple of times and then lean them against the shed in the backyard and let them rust to oblivion.

i do not think that anyone who is a member around here - is not a cycling enthusiast. wall mart and canadian tire bikes are not for cycling enthusiasts in my estimation. regardless of their price point...
    Signature

Muskoka
    Interesting though...how it's evolved! Fat bikes were a niche market a mere 4 years ago even among cycling enthusiasts and LBS' !!!
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    My friend from California told me that he has been seeing these as beach cruisers and custom cruisers for years. When I told him I had bought a fat bike for the winter, that's what he thought I had bought. He is not a cyclist. Apparently they are quite popular down there and there is a whole culture of really custom bikes. But yeah, they seem to have really taken off. I know of 2 other riders in my little Mississauga trail system that ride fat bikes.....in the summer even. I have been really enjoying the Beargrease as a summer ride, though in the local trails, I get stopped at least 3 times a ride. They sure draw a lot of attention.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    My friend from California told me that he has been seeing these as beach cruisers and custom cruisers for years. When I told him I had bought a fat bike for the winter, that's what he thought I had bought. He is not a cyclist. Apparently they are quite popular down there and there is a whole culture of really custom bikes. But yeah, they seem to have really taken off. I know of 2 other riders in my little Mississauga trail system that ride fat bikes.....in the summer even. I have been really enjoying the Beargrease as a summer ride, though in the local trails, I get stopped at least 3 times a ride. hey sure draw a lot of attention.
    Speaking of summer riding and broadening market trends, I've been noticing a black salsa parked at a downtown location lately. Either a visitor to the building or perhaps an employee, using it on pavement.

Reminds me, I did see a very early fatbike some time ago, in the mid 90's. Couldn't remember a thing about it just now except that it had very small wheels. A search of google images however quickly turned up this exactly as I remembered it from one glance 15+ years ago:

Wholesale Bike - Buy HANEBRINK EXTREME CUSTOM BEACH SAND SNOW BIKE GERMANY, $983.25 | DHgate
    Last edited by Kay.; 07-10-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    i would not remove the kickstand from this fat bike - you may need it when you stop to rehydrate.

kidding aside - these bikes will find their happy owners, who will ride them a couple of times and then lean them against the shed in the backyard and let them rust to oblivion.

i do not think that anyone who is a member around here - is not a cycling enthusiast. wall mart and canadian tire bikes are not for cycling enthusiasts in my estimation. regardless of their price point...
    It is interesting though if you wander into or read threads elsewhere here about bikes sold at stores. That sell both in the USA with Wal Mart and Costco being the prime examples. Did anyone here know that in the US Costco stores a few years ago they sold Cannondale MTB's? I notice we tend to sell the crappier bikes in these stores then they do in the US.

A while for us here who live and breathe bikes that stuff is crap to us. But for many you see around Toronto, Hamilton, and other places in Canada. Those bikes are their transportation around and that is it. There is no desire to see how fast they can go or if buying a different saddle will make them faster.

Bigger issue I see with this isn't the bike but who the flip assembled it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Lets just say the bike is so heavy the kick stand folds from its weight. I built 2 of them. I wouldn't waste my time or money on it. The box it came in is worth more.

mtbr member
    It's not about the bike......

....it's about being Adam Craig!

mtbr member
    Yeah! it's always the monkey on the ride. I still believe that he could have crushed even more on a better bike. Chis Akrigg can ride anything anywhere as well as he proves over and over again. He shreds these trails on a CX bike better than a lot could do on a regular MTB. I would get a hernia every time I loaded that thing into my truck.
    Burnt Norton