Buckwallow [o]- Mtbr.com

Thread: Buckwallow [o]

Muskoka

Buckwallow [o]

Got myself over to Buckwallow today for my first off snow ride of the season in there. Don't know why it took so long, it's all of 5 minutes from home! Trails are in fantastic shape.
    Even Mike commented how nice they are, and we know how particular he is about the trails! And a lot of trail work has been done this spring
    Didn't spend much time on pics, but mosquitos for sure weren't kiddin' around and I didn't have bug dope!! Had to keep movin'

Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 05-23-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    We were bug food there Sunday,
    The trails are always great there, even when they are not.

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    Wish I had gone. I was up there, but went for a road ride instead Saturday evening due to lack of time to get away to Buckwallow, and then never went on Sunday because I thought it would be too wet.

mtbr member
    That's funny Mike and I were talking after the ride. I said it doesn't seem very busy for such a nice day for riding. He said he has noticed lately if the internet calls for rain it doesn't matter if it does rain or not, it makes for a quiet day.

Bored
    I was up there on Sunday - Mosquitos were just brutal. They were biting even if you had bug dope on. Makes it hard to concentrate on riding when you are getting bitten.

Still, the trails are in fantastic shape.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    I was up there on Sunday - Mosquitos were just brutal. They were biting even if you had bug dope on. Makes it hard to concentrate on riding when you are getting bitten.

Thank you it takes the pressure off us locals when you guys come up and feed them on the weekends.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490

I never have a problem as long as I keep moving even at my slow pace, and without bug dope. But I am paying today for the stops I made yesterday to get these pics

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Near north
    That's funny Mike and I were talking after the ride. I said it doesn't seem very busy for such a nice day for riding. He said he has noticed lately if the internet calls for rain it doesn't matter if it does rain or not, it makes for a quiet day.
    If you stay home every time the forecast is rain, you wouldn't get out muchl! And as often as not, it doesn't rain!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    Yep, I know, my bad. And if you keep pedalling, the bugs can't keep up.

I need my kids to grow up a bit and come riding with me. They're at that annoying in-between stage where they're mobile and need constant supervision, but not exactly big enough for singletrack. Gotta get my almost-4-year-old daughter on her run bike more, but she insists on the trike. I think I'll burn that trike. My one-year-old son doesn't give a damn about his well-being - he'll take to cycling just fine as the time comes. My daughter thinks she is made of glass.

Muskoka

bugs

You just never know with bugs, Yesterday morning they were horrendous...almost carried one away, but this evening I was out walking on the trails beside home ( very similar woods to Buckwallow) with my dog for an hour and saw maybe 10 mosquitos!! But it was sunny instead of overcast, and quite a bit cooler( 11 C ) than Monday morning.
    Maybe they need a break after chasing cottagers all weekend

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    I never have a problem as long as I keep moving even at my slow pace, and without bug dope. But I am paying today for the stops I made yesterday to get these pics
    Even moving we were getting bitten. They homed in on areas around the eyes ect.

Muskoka

more BuckShot...[o]

starting with the Buckwallow Condos

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Ohhh......Skinny tires now. Is the fatboy put away or just resting?
    And still some water under the first log.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Near north View Post
    Ohhh......Skinny tires now. Is the fatboy put away or just resting?
    And still some water under the first log.
    Fatboy is never put away, I ride him year round. I had been out Fri for the Rocky Mountain demo day, and rode the Altitude 70 & Altidude 70/29er. I like the Altitudes a lot so wanted to ride my Devinci while the memory was still fresh. Upshot is I see no reason to give up on my Devinci even though it is 6-7 ys old, but these days I do prefer the less racey riding position of the Altitudes. Maybe that comes from owning the Pugs, or maybe it's my age!?! To complete the thought, after I left the RM demo it was time for doggie's evening run, so I grabbed Pugsley and then Bloo and I hit the Chamberlain Trails for an hour. You know it...the Pugs still puts the biggest grin on my face!
    Regarding puddles under bridges, yes...and deep too! Lots of standing ponds all over Buck, but the trails themselves are just great! And one more thing, if you follow a dog across a log bridge keep in mind that the dog may decide to stop part way across

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Added a bike rack to Bonnie's Rollerskate...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    That doesn't look factory??
    But then again GB's bolts on to two tabs near the top of the rear window as well as to two lower mounts.
    It slows his car down by 10kms/h top end as well!!

Muskoka
    The factory racks for the Cabrio are rare and ridiculous price, plus you have to drill into the Tridion Safety Cage to insert upper mounts. This one is a hitch receiver rack, much better option imo. It's a Kuat Beta
    http://www.kuatinnovations.com/index.php?page=beta

ps-i'm guessing GB rarely drives his over 90 k/hr anyway, he likes to keep it north of 70 mpg.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka

some more Buckwallow please...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Hey isn't that your wifes car,
    We rode there this morning wow was that dry or what, everything in the weasel was so makable and the rest was just fast and fun. Bugs were acceptable.

All in all great ride

Muskoka
    Hey isn't that your wifes car,
    We rode there this morning wow was that dry or what, everything in the weasel was so makable and the rest was just fast and fun. Bugs were acceptable.

All in all great ride
    Yea, I tend to steal it from her on sunny summer days. And it was Father's Day after all. Agreed, I thought same thing...surprising how dry it seems considering the spring we have had. I didn't "hike" the Weasel so can't comment on that, but Mike's trails just get better and better was my thought on the day. And yea, I too noticed that the bugs have backed off a lot in the past week or so
    Mike told me there were 7 of the Slow Spokes out this morning, he felt bad he missed chattin' with yuu'all.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    I looked for him after riding was going to ask him to come to breakfast, the car show was on in Bracebridge thought he may enjoy walking around it.
    Did he seem ok it's the first fathers day since his dad past away????

Muskoka
    I looked for him after riding was going to ask him to come to breakfast, the car show was on in Bracebridge thought he may enjoy walking around it.
    Did he seem ok it's the first fathers day since his dad past away????
    He was fine and we had a nice chat, but you know that point didn't even register with me until you mentioned it
    Speaking of Father's Day though, when I got home from my ride Bonnie presented me with a large french fries and gravy from The Chip Wagon that's right beside The Bike Shop in Gravenhurst (yummy), plus some Muskoka Dark Ale, plus some Woody's Sasparilla!!
    Am I spoiled or what

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Shelby's.............I'm glad it's in Gravenhurst we sometime drive down just for her fries.....It wouldn't be good if it were closer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chansen View Post
    Yep, I know, my bad. And if you keep pedalling, the bugs can't keep up.

I need my kids to grow up a bit and come riding with me. They're at that annoying in-between stage where they're mobile and need constant supervision, but not exactly big enough for singletrack. Gotta get my almost-4-year-old daughter on her run bike more, but she insists on the trike. I think I'll burn that trike. My one-year-old son doesn't give a damn about his well-being - he'll take to cycling just fine as the time comes. My daughter thinks she is made of glass.
    Just give them time

You should've went riding in Buckwallow though. It's one of my fav spots in Ontario to play on big rocks. I think I will bring the Nomad the next time I'm up that way.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    ...plus some Muskoka Dark Ale, plus some Woody's Sasparilla!!
    Am I spoiled or what
    Yea Shelby's. Oh almost forgot, and some Muskoka Mad Tom IPA

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Evil Jr.
    Oh almost forgot, and some Muskoka Mad Tom IPA
    We had that here for Father's Day too. Lovely stuff!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Added a bike rack to Bonnie's Rollerskate...
    I see you have a sense of humour calling Bonnie's car a roller skate. Lot's of people would take offense to that.

I've got to make time and get over there, SOON! I've been burning the candle @ both ends & have been on my SU200 (Trek urban bike) ONCE this year . We've started work on my garage today, pushing a plate compactor around, so there's there's another time filler.

PM me a day or two before your next journey into the Muskoka woods & I'll definitely get some riding in. Or maybe I should just say "WTF" & head over there on my own.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
    PM me a day or two before your next journey into the Muskoka woods & I'll definitely get some riding in. Or maybe I should just say "WTF" & head over there on my own.
    Sure thing!! A tour of Buckwallow will be on the agenda

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anybody know how much a season pass and family pass are? My wife and just got bikes and are going on wednesday.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I think a family pass is 120 and well worth it to anyone close by.
    Enjoy your ride Wednasday.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by mxzx121 View Post
    Anybody know how much a season pass and family pass are? My wife and just got bikes and are going on wednesday.

Thanks
    Season pass is $120 for a couple, $60 single. Day rate is $10/adult..children under 12 are free ( but must be accompanied by an adult I think...not sure on that one)

phone # is 705-687-8858

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Bought a pass today. Had a great first ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Are any of the trails one way? I noticed the single track trails only had a sing at one end. Are you only suppose to enter at that end?

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by mxzx121 View Post
    Are any of the trails one way? I noticed the single track trails only had a sing at one end. Are you only suppose to enter at that end?
    NO, all trails are bi-directional. Going in from the end with the sign on it we call "frontwards" and the opposite way we call "backwards"

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    It was a great day today it started drying up nicely, bugs were so so.
    We rode there this morning did all the trails some forward some backward.
    Maybe we said hi... I was with three others and on my WFO 9 meet a lot of riders today, a busy day for Mike.
    No one on the Weasel though????

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for help guys. What trails would I not want to try backwards, or are much better forwards(because of hill/drop).

mtbr member
    All the trails are do able both ways and worth trying both ways.
    The only trail with sections that i have yet to see done (been riding there a while) is the weasel " backwards "
    The weasel connects to the "do drop in" so if you do the weasel forward and then connect to the do drop you do it backwards or vice versa, the Do drop forward then weasel backward that's the hard way 1 - 3 foot step up 1 - 10 foot rock climb and the rest a good climber could do?

For some of us it wouldn't be as much fun if you could do everything every time. It keeps you coming back again and again and again.

Enjoy Mike's hard work

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Good job!

I'm taking a "mental health" day tomorrow & heading over to Bracebridge. If you see a dark blue Chev pickup that's me. I'll be riding a black Trek on the trails.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    I rode there tonight we had an amazing downpour this afternoon but it was drying up by the evening.
    There were a few bugs...........bring spray....
    Are you pre riding the O-cup course?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thread Hijack Alert

mxzx121, I guess I'd be correct in assuming you're a snowmobiler? What year is your 'doo?

Back to our regularly scheduled topic:

I made it over & rode for a couple of hours. I tried one of the 3 hoof trails & faired badly @ it, so I stuck to the 1 & 2 trails. I haven't ridden since the fall of '09 & it showed. Hopefully I'll get a few more rides in before my next attempt over there. A few folks riding as well but only a couple of girls that looked like they were "enthusiasts", the rest were either familes or couples just out riding. I the drove up to the BRMC on Hwy 11 and did a loop using the "outer" trails.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have a 08 TNT. The first forum I joined was a snowmobile one. Use the same user name on diferent forums.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sorry for bumping the old post but I haven't posted enough to create my own thread yet. I am heading up to Buckwallow for the first time tomorrow and was curious if there is a certain way I should ride it or any other tips for an intermediate rider. I downloaded the latest map with all 21 trails and would like to try to ride them all. Any info would be appreciated. I am getting dropped off for a few hours so was also curious if there are any restaurants closeby to grab a bite afterwards. Thx!

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Double_Downon11 View Post
    Sorry for bumping the old post but I haven't posted enough to create my own thread yet. I am heading up to Buckwallow for the first time tomorrow and was curious if there is a certain way I should ride it or any other tips for an intermediate rider. I downloaded the latest map with all 21 trails and would like to try to ride them all. Any info would be appreciated. I am getting dropped off for a few hours so was also curious if there are any restaurants closeby to grab a bite afterwards. Thx!
    Doesn't matter, its ALL GOOD, every which way For food you could just ride over to the KOA campground next to Buckwallow, they have a little store that I would think has a variety of food. Closest restauraunt would be to ride north on Gravenhurst Parkway past the airport. Along that stretch is a back entrance to The Skyways Motel and PetroCanada gasbar. Attached to the gas bar is Skyways Restaurant which has pretty good food! That is about a 15' ride I would say.
    Enjoy your day at Buckwallow

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Awesome BlackCanoeDog, thanks!!

Members who have read this thread: 0