Bruce Peninsula Mountain Biking Adventure Park- Mtbr.com
    DaBomb Molotov rider

Bruce Peninsula Mountain Biking Adventure Park

Anyone been to the Bruce Peninsula Mountain Biking Adventure Park?

Link: http://www.naturalretreat.com/mounta....cfm?page=four (includes some videos and photos of the stunts).

More photos of the stunts here:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/phot...touserid=42694

Just wondering about how much they charge, what the trails/stunts are like, what kind of bike and riding style it is geared towards. I'd love to hear from anyone who's been there and what you thought, coz I may get a chance to go some time this summer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I will be going there in a couple weeks for the first time, I will be sure to post what its like when I return. Sounds like alot of fun though

isthatbill
    Oct 2003
    Hey man - yeah those are the pics I posted up last year on PinkBike. The park is free to use, has a great parking lot with a set of dirtjumps, a trials area and some really nice picnic tables and washrooms (kinda) The place is really well set up.

You could ride all the stunts with just about any bike as there are no drops or jumps. The degree of difficulty increases as you go faster across the stunts. If you're from london and have been out to meadowlilly - then there's nothing here that will scare you. The trails were very rocky last fall when we were up there and had not too much "flow" to them though. More of a ride where you session a stunt for a while - then move on to the next one.

Hope that helps - definately a spot to hit up though - we had a good time there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Wow, I just looked at those pink bike photos and they make the place look alot better then the website did. Its great to here that you can ride there free, sounds like I'll have fun.

We had rented a cottage and later I found out that this place is maybe 10 min away, so I'm definitly going to be checking it out.

mtbr member

Wow

Sounds to me like the beginins' of a ROAD TRIP!!!!

Anyone been out that way...how far a drive? 1.5-2h?

Cheers

isthatbill
    Oct 2003
    Yeah about 2 hrs from KW, Cambridge, Guelph area.

The Brant Tract is also a really good trail to ride - should check that out also while you're there.

And watch out for that log ride with the teeter totter on the end of it - eats derailleurs for breakfast.

Have fun out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well, I was able to visit this park last week while I was at a cottage, and I really enjoyed it. Sorry no pics and I was only able to ride there once but here is my thoughts on the park.

I definitly enjoyed it there, I will probably go there again even though it would be quite the drive to just go biking. There are a few easy double track loops, these loops are where you'll find almost all the stunts in the park, these range from a simple board walk inches above the ground to bridges over rocks with teeter tooters. Personally I wasn't comfortable with everything in the park but as I tried the smaller stuff I could see myself trying more and more of the stunts in the park.

The double track loops are fairly smooth, they have many bumps in the track that seems to keep you going at a slower pace but I think the main reason for the park is the stunts.

The difficult Single track, do not expect to be able to just roll on through this. These trials are basically large rock gardens, very technical but still quite possible for a newer rider. These sections didn't have the stunts that you would fine on the easier loops but they didn't let you rest for very long before you where in another techical section.

One thing that I liked able to the trails is that they where generally flat, there wasn't any really climbing to be done, I enjoyed this because I'm not a very good climber yet.

I think this is a great place to visit if your willing to try out the stunts and feel comfortable on your bike. If your looking for a fast trail this place isn't what your looking for the loops are very short (1 - 3 kms) but if you want to try some techincal sections or try some of the stunts this is a great place to check out.

mtbr member

Smile Verl cool place

Very nice trails...
    I have a few pics, (to be posted soon)

If you like Hilton Falls, you will love this place, basically hilton falls with better bridges, stunts, teeters etc.

word of caution...watch out for that turn on the 'serpent', well not so much the turn, but the rock at the bottom (minor scrapes to me and the bike!) whole lotta bruising to the ego though.

I was talking with two other riders (from Hamilton) who were there and said the other tract
    near Paisley is really good (read-rooty, rocky techy stuff) did not get a chance to ride there this time...

Best part of the day...watching the GF clear one of the teeters and the long bridge...I'll make a mtb'er out of her yet...although she was not happy about the purple loops...the fun rocky stuff.

Is it worth a 3 hour drive? yes and no. The park is small(in comparison to HiltonFalls), but you can session some stunts for a while and have a blast, and all the trails are done in loops so you can mix and match. If youre camping/cottaging in the Bruce area, gotta check it out.

Its about 1/2 hour(max) north of Wiarton and I think Paisley is about the same distance south of Wiarton. Will be going back for sure this year and hit Paisley as well. If you have nevr been to this part of the world...make the trip. We stayed just outside of Lions Head and did a day trip up to Tobermory (Flowerpot Island)

It sucks to come back to work though (as you can see Im getting a lot done today!!)
    As soon as I get a chance to scan the pics and post them

Cheers
    Last edited by smiley; 07-25-2005 at 12:44 PM.

mtbr member

oh yeah forgot one thing

THANK-YOU london lad for the inital post

Never knew about this place before.

Cheers

DaBomb Molotov rider
    I had the opportunity to visit the Bruce Peninsula Mountain Bike Adventure Park while holidaying in the area this summer, and it was easily the highlight of my vacation. Here's my take on it:

For people who like light freeriding and aggressive XC, the Bruce Peninsula Mountain Biking Adventure Park is paradise!

The trails: The land is fairly flat, so most of the challenge comes from the technical terrain. There are several loops ranging from 1-3km each, so there is easily more than a dozen km altogether. But because of the technical difficulty, you will probably find that you won't be able to cover all the trails in a single session.

Technical difficulty: The trails are very technical, with many rocks and roots, and as a result it is a very slow but challenging ride. At not point can you expect to ride over 20kmh, I averaged well under 10kmh. I noticed several novices who were forced to walk sections because of the technical difficulty of the trail, so it is not really suitable for pure beginners. But experienced riders will just love the technical challenge and difficult terrain, especially the "expert" trails. Riding this trail with a rigid would be immensely difficult, so having a good front suspension would be an absolute minumum. This is one trail where you'd be well served with a dual suspension bike, although it's certainly rideable with a good hardtail.

The stunts: This is the best part! Alongside the trails, throughout the park, are well placed and superbly designed northshore-styled light freeriding stunts. Most of these are rated according to difficulty, and given appropriate names like "Mount Everest", "Teeter Totter of Shame", "Don't Try This at Home", "The Serpent", and "Cannonball Run." Several of these are in the parking lot, including teeter-totters ("Peewee" and "Free Fall"), a northshore ride ("Junkyard Dog"), some jumps ("Bush Pig" and "Ride the Sign"), a rock garden, and a skinny ("Mr Completely"). These features are easily the highlights of the trail, and there are probably at least 20 of them scattered throughout the park. They are optional and placed slightly off the main trail, so less experienced riders can just stick to the main trail and avoid them. This makes it possible to a group ride with riders of different abilities. Some are fairly easy (even my 8 year old could do "Boardwalk"), but others are insane. Each stunt has a "filter", ie harder stunts are deliberately difficult to access, so if you can't get onto it, it's too hard for you!

Cost: FREE!

Location: 10 minutes north of Wiarton on County Rd #9, which is east of Hwy #6.

Location map: http://www.naturalretreat.com/mounta....cfm?page=four

Trail map:
    http://www.naturalretreat.com/mounta...cfm?page=seven
    http://www.naturalretreat.com/docs/A...rePark-map.pdf

Pictures:
    http://www.naturalretreat.com/slideshow.cfm?category=15
    http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/phot...touserid=42694

Videos: http://www.naturalretreat.com/mounta...cfm?page=eight

Reviews:
    http://content.mtbr.com/cat/trails-a...0_4528crx.aspx
    http://www.canadatrails.ca/mtb/on/bruce.html

Overall:
    Aerobic difficulty: 2/5
    Technical difficulty: 5/5
    Overall rating: 5/5

Highly recommended!

DaBomb Molotov rider

Photos of Bruce Peninsula

A few photos from the Bruce Peninsula Mountain Bike Adventure Park.
    For more info, check out: https://www.naturalretreat.com/mount....cfm?page=four

Boardwalk

Cannon Ball Run

Junkyard Dog

Forget Me Not (Rock Causeway)

Mister Completely (Skinny)

Double Teeter Totter

Ride The Sign

The Hour Glass

Suspension Bridge

Chicken Run

Teeter Totter of Shame

Don't Try This at Home

DaBomb Molotov rider
    There's an article here giving some of the history of how this place got started:
    https://www.brucepeninsula.org/featu.../biketrail.htm

And here are a few more pictures of the place:

Ride The Sign

Teeter Totter of Shame

Junkyard Dog

Last edited by londonlad; 08-26-2005 at 04:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    how far is this place from Toronto? It seems pretty far from the map

Apr 2005
    That looks like a wicked bike park... Yeah how far is that away... I want to try that out sometime.

mtbr member

Approx.2hrs

Take H-10 North to Owen Sound,
    or Traflargar ,North to 109, go west to Arthur, north on H-6

...From Owen Sound stay on H-6 north to Wiarton

Through Wiarton, turn right on county road 9 (@ Colpoy's Bay)
    stay on 9, just after county road 18, entrance on right hand side.

2hrs with a gas and Tims break,
    (and there's a great camp site 7mins away!)

Apr 2005
    I wouldnt go for the day, camping sounds a lot better. Maybe next year because i dont see myself being able to get up there for a few days now since summer is ending and i have a lot of things going on such as tennis... What do you guys do when you camp, like where do u put ur bikes and lock them?