Bromont DH - Tires- Mtbr.com
    Perpetual Hack

Bromont DH - Tires

Making a shopping list for spring tuneups.
    I am planning a trip to Bromont this summer to give the DH bike a proper run. (and maybe MSA when the WC is in town for my BD) I have never been riding in either place and was wondering about tires.
    I'm due for new meats, and anything I get for Bromont will be more than adequate at Blue.

I'm currently on Michi Wild RockR'2. I really like them on the hardpack, but with a reduced tread depth they are not as good in any type of moisture, or deeper dirt. As well, they are Enduro casing only, and I have pinch-flatted at Blue, so in teh EastCoastRox of Bromont, I'm not overly confident.

I would like more braking than the DHF or clones provide, so my two top choices are:

DHRII in either or a combo of 3C and ST

-or-

MagicMary in Addix purple for front and orange on rear.

(26 rear / 27.5 front @ 25mm internal rims)

Thoughts?

Cheers all!!
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I went to Bromont last year on my enduro bike, there's not really much deep loose fluff there but if it rains you're gonna be hurtin'. I had the hard compound Wild Rock'R2 on both ends of my bike when I went there, didn't have any issues since the trails were dry and nicely packed down at the time. My only tire issue is that the Michelins don't have enough volume so I had to run them a bit firmer than I wanted to avoid bashing my rims into the rocks.

Bromont is also pretty hard on tires though not as bad as MSA. My friend had the same Magic Mary combo you're thinking about and tore a bunch of knobs after 3-4 days. Said they were the best braking tires he's ever ridden and when he went back to his DHFs after the MMs died he spent half the next day blowing all his braking points and taking off-trail excursions.

Personal thoughts. Bontrager G5 front and Maxxis DHR2 rear. The G5 brakes like a DHR2 but it locks into corners better. The DHR2 sometimes feels a little "floaty" in high speed corners whereas the G5 and DHF are more locked in.

Keep on Rockin...
    DH casing? I'm going to assume you are talking about DH casings.

Never ridden Bromont but do ride a lot of old school NE DH tech. Local mt is Whiteface, which I hear might be more similar to MSA.

The DHR DH casing in a 3C/MaxxTerra is a good choice. It really does brake a lot better than the DHF out back. I dig the DHF up front but out back, no. The DHR2 has those wide paddle-like knobs that are great for straight line braking. The Super Tacky will tear up too quickly. The 3C will last longer and give plenty of grip. I only run the Super Tacky up front on the DHF.

Mary's - DH. IMO these were a step up from the Maxxis in terms of grip. That was in the DH Vert Star compound, and I ran the 2.5" size and they were more like a 2.6". Amazing grip and the size of the tire really damped the chatter, but they wore out unbelievably fast. They were also a very slow roller. Now that I see what aerius wrote - yeah, I agree.

I really think the DHF/DHR2 in Supertacky/3c durometers is a sure bet almost anywhere. There is a reason they are so popular.

Perpetual Hack
    I have used the MM before in Vertstar and Trailstar.
    I loved them but, I too ripped the shit out of them.
    However, a Euro friend who is hooked up at the WC level (Scott) has been raving about the new Addix compounds that Schwalbe just released. He has been using Purple at both ends and so far no problems with ripping or chunking. He did say the traction and damping was unreal, but they are slow if not Champery steep, hence the Orange for me for the rear.

Maxxis - have not been on them in about 10 years, but am considering them.

BTW - WTF is with the no Slow Reezay, but ST is available? At least SR did not chunk like ST. The 3C looks like 70 base with ST in the middle and SR on the sides. Probably the best of both, but would still prefer a 3C rear and SR front...

I tend to brake with more of a front balance than the rear, hence the DHR II front and rear.
    I could always do the Kidwoo cut on the front DHR II to open up the channel a bit if needed.
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    I tend to brake with more of a front balance than the rear, hence the DHR II front and rear.
    I could always do the Kidwoo cut on the front DHR II to open up the channel a bit if needed.
    That's why I suggested the G5 for the front, you save yourself the hand cramps from knob trimming a DHR2.

Bromont also tends to be drier with better grip than MSA so you get away with a hard compound tire on the back, the old World Cup track and a few other trails also have an annoying flat/uphill section partway down which makes soft tires really suck. You don't really need super sticky tires unless it's rained a bunch and you're riding Trail 18 or one of the other trails in that area that have a bunch of wood work and rock slabs.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    That's why I suggested the G5 for the front, you save yourself the hand cramps from knob trimming a DHR2.

Bromont also tends to be drier with better grip than MSA so you get away with a hard compound tire on the back, the old World Cup track and a few other trails also have an annoying flat/uphill section partway down which makes soft tires really suck. You don't really need super sticky tires unless it's rained a bunch and you're riding Trail 18 or one of the other trails in that area that have a bunch of wood work and rock slabs.
    Good info.

Yeah, my tire choice is driven by very non-groomed conditions - washed out, wet, rooty, slick, steep stuff. In the Spring you can literally be riding down a small stream bed. So, my tire recommendations were driven by that.

One reason I prefer the DHF to the DHR2 on the front, is I like bigger, heavier tires. There is almost zero pedally at my local DH. The DHF 2.5 comes in a fair bit larger than the DHR2 2.4"