Bromont was awesome!- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Bromont was awesome!

Congrats to 1 speed Mike...That's a tough hill to ride DH or XC, let alone win the race dude! Weather was perfect...except for Sunday a.m. Plenty of crashes, but nothing too serious. No pics worth posting...next time. It's hard to take photos when your flying down a rock face on Adrenaline or holding on the bars for dear life on the near-vertical Rock N Roll. Arek: how was it, mate?
    Gabe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambhead
    Congrats to 1 speed Mike...That's a tough hill to ride DH or XC, let alone win the race dude! Weather was perfect...except for Sunday a.m. Plenty of crashes, but nothing too serious. No pics worth posting...next time. It's hard to take photos when your flying down a rock face on Adrenaline or holding on the bars for dear life on the near-vertical Rock N Roll. Arek: how was it, mate?
    Gabe

We just got there on Saturday night - had a change of heart on Friday night because of the forecast, and then on Sat. morning I said to myself - screw it, I'm going! So we only rode on Sunday. Haven't seen you, too many bikes around. We were a group of 4 - my black ASX, black Joker, black Dare with an Avalanche up front, and a red Fly. Maybe you've seen us around.
    Riding was awesome, my first real test of the new bike - it was everything (and more) I was hoping for! Too bad Monday sucked.... It made for kind of expensive trip for just one day of riding, but none of us regrets it anyway.
    BTW, were you sitting in a pub on Sunday with a group of 6 guys, one of them wearing a Cove sweatshirt??

Arek

almost there!

Are the results for Bromont posted on the internet?

Any photos anywhere - to give us an idea how big the hill is there?

Haven't been there but I'd definitely like to go sometime this summer.

Congratulations to Mike if you won, I don't know how you can do it on a SS, that's hard-core!
    Mike you should have considered Kelso this year, the weather was perfect this year.

I haven't been doing very well lately since I've had a weird upper respiratory infection that won't go away (the weather at Dagmar didn't help).

Mar 2004

that wuz me

yup, that was me at Golden Pub on Sunday eve with the boys. You missed big line-ups on Saturday...all the racers doing practice runs. I bailed so much I'm covered in scrapes and welts. Don't know why cause the past 2 times I smoked most of the trails without injury...I guess I was riding harder and faster this time, knowing the trails a bit more. DEFINATELY going to get chest and shoulder armour for next time!
    Going again in August and Thanksgiving for sure. We are also going to hit Blue Mountain a few times this summer once the gondola opens. Maybe we'll ride together sometime. The Yeti's definately nice, but a Dare and a Joker? Tough company my friend.
    G

mtbr member
    yup, that was me at Golden Pub on Sunday eve with the boys. You missed big line-ups on Saturday...all the racers doing practice runs. I bailed so much I'm covered in scrapes and welts. Don't know why cause the past 2 times I smoked most of the trails without injury...I guess I was riding harder and faster this time, knowing the trails a bit more. DEFINATELY going to get chest and shoulder armour for next time!
    Going again in August and Thanksgiving for sure. We are also going to hit Blue Mountain a few times this summer once the gondola opens. Maybe we'll ride together sometime. The Yeti's definately nice, but a Dare and a Joker? Tough company my friend.
    G
    Me and my friend were sitting behind you at that Pub then. Were going to talk to you, but you guys split while we were stil eating. I had a feeling it was you.
    Not sure how to understand that "tough company" comment, I'm trying not to take it personal, in case I understand you correctly... hehe... I'll agree with the Dare - especially the way my buddy has it built up - I mean that's a full out DH monster, but the Joker doesn't hold the candle to the AS-X, maybe you haven't seen one up close?
    We too are planning another trip later in the summer, and I'll try to get to Blue a few times this season as well, never been there before. Maybe we'll run into each other.

Cheers,

Arek

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ541
    Any photos anywhere - to give us an idea how big the hill is there?

Haven't been there but I'd definitely like to go sometime this summer.

Congratulations to Mike if you won, I don't know how you can do it on a SS, that's hard-core!
    Mike you should have considered Kelso this year, the weather was perfect this year.

I haven't been doing very well lately since I've had a weird upper respiratory infection that won't go away (the weather at Dagmar didn't help).
    Ha, I wish I won! Not sure how I was mistaken for winning. I came 21st out of 46 in Master Expert 30-39 XC.

Ya, I'm kinda kickin' myself for not doing Kelso. But, I've never had fun there. So, instead I did an epic ride with some buds....much better.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Gabe
    Win the race? Hardly. But, thanks. I came 21st out of 46 in Master Expert 30-39 XC.

Yes, Bromont for me, was a fantastic race! Weater was perfect, conditions were near perfect and I was having a blast on the downhill sections....grinning ear-to-ear.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I think your note on the Mansfield post "Well, after finishing the Canada Cup #1 at Bromont this Saturday" made us think you finished #1, but I'm now thinking it meant the 1st race of the series...so now we retract everything we said and don't congratulate you on anything...just kidding.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    I think your note on the Mansfield post "Well, after finishing the Canada Cup #1 at Bromont this Saturday" made us think you finished #1, but I'm now thinking it meant the 1st race of the series...so now we retract everything we said and don't congratulate you on anything...just kidding.
    Well, yes, I guess I could see how you could mistake that I finished #1. Ah, wouldn't that be nice! But, actually, it was just the first race in the Canada Cup series. Sorry to dissappoint and I'll accept your uncongratulations
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

Mar 2004

no offence meant, dude!

I just have a hard on for ellesworths. I Was considering a Joker before I went for the Cove and I'm not sure I made the right choice. The ASX is well sick man, definately. Whadaya think of the 5th element? Takes a lot o fiddling doen't it? I love the Cove with the 5th...niow that I've got it setup.
    Gabe

mtbr member

congrats on

making it out to Bromont guys!

The furthest East I got was Kanata Lakes, lots of fun but nothing compared to Bromont (hopefully I'll make it out there later this summer)

For those who just can't get enough of Bromont, if you're in the Toronto Area check out this deal:

$210 all inclusive
    They are leaving friday night of June 25th and arriving home late sunday June 27th (great for those who can't take work off through the week)
    This includes coach transportaion, hotel accom, lift tickets for sat and sun, diner sat and breakfast both days!!!

For more info contact:
    Josh 519 823 0048
    [email protected]hotmail.com

Rumour has it that over 30 spots are already taken and that if they get over 35 then the price drops... better to call him and leave a message than email from what I've heard.

Clem

mtbr member
    I just have a hard on for ellesworths. I Was considering a Joker before I went for the Cove and I'm not sure I made the right choice. The ASX is well sick man, definately. Whadaya think of the 5th element? Takes a lot o fiddling doen't it? I love the Cove with the 5th...niow that I've got it setup.
    Gabe
    No sweat man! I was considering a Joker as well when my buddy got his, but decided on the AS-X. And man, did I make the right choice. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing Joker IS that the AS-X isn't, is more money!... And, there are many things about the AS-X that Joker can't match. Granted, the Joker is a light frame, but this doesn't concern me at all. After all, who buys a bike like that and wants to build an XC rig.
    On the 5th - I do like it a lot, although I still am in the process of dialing it in perfectly. It especially proved its' worth in Bromont - on fast downhills this thing stays glued to the ground, no skipping, boucing or bucking me off the bike. At the same time though, it makes it that much harder for me to get the rear wheel off the ground when I DO want it to do so. I don't consider myself a seasoned jumper, and whatever I learned with my previous bike with Vanilla R on it, seems useless with the 5th now... Gotta practice more I guess...
    Here's a pic of both bikes on top of my car after the lifts closed on Sunday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mar 2004

Nice ride...

What's it weigh? The 5th does stick to the ground fo sho. Bunnyhopping with flats, unless your a master, is like pulling teeth. BUT...it makes up for it in "endless travel"...ramp up the end stroke damper and you'll never bottom out no matter how little air pressure you put in. Plus it's a really strong shock...can take side loads like no other. Here's the G last october in the Bromont parking lot....see you on the trails!

P.s. we do Ravenshoe A LOT! Do you know it? Perfect place for your bike. No climbing, tight n twisty, stunts, bridges, teeters, an all round favorite.
    Gabe

mtbr member
    What's it weigh? The 5th does stick to the ground fo sho. Bunnyhopping with flats, unless your a master, is like pulling teeth. BUT...it makes up for it in "endless travel"...ramp up the end stroke damper and you'll never bottom out no matter how little air pressure you put in. Plus it's a really strong shock...can take side loads like no other. Here's the G last october in the Bromont parking lot....see you on the trails!

P.s. we do Ravenshoe A LOT! Do you know it? Perfect place for your bike. No climbing, tight n twisty, stunts, bridges, teeters, an all round favorite.
    Gabe
    Nice bike you got there too! My AS-X is around 37-38lbs with the Weirwolf Race 2.5" tire I use for here. With those Kendas (Blue Groove/Nevegal) as in the picture, I'm probably pushing 40lbs. But what a difference those tires made to the ride! I'm happy I got them before the trip, they didn't slip on anything once, I was quite amazed, great control with them. And, they have much thicker sidewall, so I was running lower pressure than I normaly would. The Weirwolfs have been a great all-around tire for here so far, but I figured would be too light and would pack up with mud for Bromont. No such issues with Kendas.
    Yes I do know Ravenshoe, I can't say I go there a lot, it's quite a distance for me from Mississauga. I probably do it once every two weekends or so. During the week, if I want to catch a ride after work I usually go to Hilton Falls, Albion Hills or Kelso - the only 3 places I can get to in time before it gets too late.

Cheers!

Arek

T.Dot Represent

i have a heavy bike...

i still ride up a lot of hills!!! i ahve an 03 atomik and its a tank, i still ride up hill with it though, cuz u gotta go up to go down!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Arek - Q about Hilton

Quote Originally Posted by Arek
    Nice bike you got there too! My AS-X is around 37-38lbs with the Weirwolf Race 2.5" tire I use for here. With those Kendas (Blue Groove/Nevegal) as in the picture, I'm probably pushing 40lbs. But what a difference those tires made to the ride! I'm happy I got them before the trip, they didn't slip on anything once, I was quite amazed, great control with them. And, they have much thicker sidewall, so I was running lower pressure than I normaly would. The Weirwolfs have been a great all-around tire for here so far, but I figured would be too light and would pack up with mud for Bromont. No such issues with Kendas.
    Yes I do know Ravenshoe, I can't say I go there a lot, it's quite a distance for me from Mississauga. I probably do it once every two weekends or so. During the week, if I want to catch a ride after work I usually go to Hilton Falls, Albion Hills or Kelso - the only 3 places I can get to in time before it gets too late.

Cheers!

Arek
    How are the conditions at Hilton as of late? After the rain we've had lately would this be a fairly mud-free ride? Also I've hiked there but not biked, is their decent (moderate) singletrack...I've heard about the bent rim trail and I'm not interested.

cheers.

mtbr member
    How are the conditions at Hilton as of late? After the rain we've had lately would this be a fairly mud-free ride? Also I've hiked there but not biked, is their decent (moderate) singletrack...I've heard about the bent rim trail and I'm not interested.

cheers.
    In my experience Hilton does not get as muddy as Kelso, totally different surface, even though they are in such close proximity. On the technical sections there's much much more rocks, so if anything the rocks could be a bit slippery, abut if you're running some bigger sticky tires that's not a problem either. Otherwise, the main biking/hiking trails drain very well, so they should be OK.
    I mainly go there for the technical aspect of it, I wouldn't ride on the wide paths. So if muscling and balancing your way through the tech parts of the trails is not your idea of fun, most everything is pretty boring, no different than some park paths. Granted, there is some single track, but majority of the good stuff is rocks

Arek

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thx Arek, one more Question

Quote Originally Posted by Arek
    In my experience Hilton does not get as muddy as Kelso, totally different surface, even though they are in such close proximity. On the technical sections there's much much more rocks, so if anything the rocks could be a bit slippery, abut if you're running some bigger sticky tires that's not a problem either. Otherwise, the main biking/hiking trails drain very well, so they should be OK.
    I mainly go there for the technical aspect of it, I wouldn't ride on the wide paths. So if muscling and balancing your way through the tech parts of the trails is not your idea of fun, most everything is pretty boring, no different than some park paths. Granted, there is some single track, but majority of the good stuff is rocks

Arek
    I was on the Hilton Falls website and found a trail map. It says the Blue & Brown are singletrack of 7 & 6.5 KM respectively. I don't mind some rock, but from what I've heard the bent rim would be out of my league. So can you comment about the blue/brown?

I was going to try out Hilton instead of going back to Albion (which I've been to before), thanks.

mtbr member
    I was on the Hilton Falls website and found a trail map. It says the Blue & Brown are singletrack of 7 & 6.5 KM respectively. I don't mind some rock, but from what I've heard the bent rim would be out of my league. So can you comment about the blue/brown?

I was going to try out Hilton instead of going back to Albion (which I've been to before), thanks.
    To be honest, I have no idea what particular parts of the trail are called. I never pay attention to that stuff, and couldn't tell you the names of trails I rode 100 times.... Sorry...
    I'd say go ahead and try Hilton, it's worth trying if you've never been there, that's for sure. It's something different from Albion Hills, who knows, you may like it.

Arek

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004

Good job!

can we see pics of the DARE with AVY PLZZZZZ
    I Ride, I Know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TT.
    As a matter of fact I do have a pic of me drooling over my friend's Dare. I'll post it tonight, I don't have it here at work.

Arek

mtbr member

Here you go...

Quote Originally Posted by TT.
    Here's my friend's Dare (with me posing )

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    bwahahahahahahaha
    I knew there was no freekin' way there was another Dare with an AVY in ON http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...6&postcount=17

tell Rob to stop spending all his $$$ on bikes and get a haircut
    I Ride, I Know