BMX Battle Ramping Up- Mtbr.com
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

namagomi
    Yeah, it's pretty bad.

Careful building any sort of collection of rounded hills in a Toronto forest, the natives might come in and claim they're snake-mounds which contain their relatives. BTW, if it's sacred ground why are they in there with shovels trashing the hills...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    It states that the city has "also been looking for an area to set up an outdoor park but haven't settled on anywhere yet." It's amazing how much friction is associated with offroad bicycling in this city. I've been hearing about this native burial conflict for a while. That and the oft-cited inaccessibility of the main Don jumps are two outstanding reasons to step up, take the initiative, and make something happen. And yet, we must be satisfied with the simple maxim that nothing moves quickly at city hall; a ridiculous notion really. Ford and his brother have moved exceedingly quickly on some files. Let's see how fast those Jarvis lanes get taken out.

sock puppet

I remember when we had

weekly rides in High Park... there were few nice sections of singletrack, good for a bit of fun, particularly for beginners... long gone... now this native sacred grounds issue with dirt jumps...

i doubt Ford has anything to do with this, it is more local communities that don't want this sport in their neighbourhood.... is it not the same issue with BMX park at Centennial for the games??

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/17...nations-target

Remember the name Richard Ubbens.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Wait till he finds out about studded bicycle tires, being used, OFFROAD, in the winter!!!

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    weekly rides in High Park... there were few nice sections of singletrack, good for a bit of fun, particularly for beginners... long gone... now this native sacred grounds issue with dirt jumps...

i doubt Ford has anything to do with this, it is more local communities that don't want this sport in their neighbourhood.... is it not the same issue with BMX park at Centennial for the games??
    "Hey you ****in' kids, get off my damn lawn with those bicycles!"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Wait till he finds out about studded bicycle tires, being used, OFFROAD, in the winter!!!

I said it before.. during the election.

People rant about the elected and what they do. The reality is management.. yes management have true control. They are protected and can't be simply voted out. They are what ensures the continuation of policy. They can sit on their hands and do nothing or quietly let the High Park fiasco occur with full support.

sock puppet
    do something...
    send some feedback to city hall - they are asking for it:
    https://toronto.qualtrics.com/SE/?SI...sGiRDeirCJmPVq

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    do something...
    send some feedback to city hall - they are asking for it:
    https://toronto.qualtrics.com/SE/?SI...sGiRDeirCJmPVq
    So I shouldn't take a dump on a CofT Parks and Rec truck.

sock puppet
    i suggested you be heard, not smelled...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Steady Creepin'
    Ah yes, finally someone in the media brings up this Redwolf individual. Thank goodness, that various FN groups are finally getting off their hands and speaking out against him.

Without getting into details, in my line of work I often deal with First Nations communities, sometimes even contracted by them and I've heard this individual's name mentioned before and never in a good context. I don't know much about him personally, nor have I ever met him, although my spouse whom I work with has on one occasion. I don't want to throw out labels and I certainly have some choice opinions about him, but I'm very skeptical about his motives. It's just unfortunate that he seems to have a fringe group of followers that are buying into his claims. I think a dose of ridicule combined with native leaders publicly denouncing him with eventually make him go away.

Btw, Enduramil, I saw your post in SS's thread about salmon. I thought it was a little unfortunate tbh. I spent several weeks working in and around the DCE site, again, minus the details, I was hired as part of a group of people there to help resolve that mess. I can tell you that my experiences on the "frontline" were far different than what was portrayed in the news. Feel free to pm me if you ever want to discuss the subject.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Gee... wasn't there a a battle at Fork York in Toronto about 200 years ago. You know I can trace my clan to the UEL and earlier.. some being members of the British Army. Them being aboriginals of Scotland and all.

Wonder how well it would go over if me and a bunch of my friends staged a protest camp and all that down there. Did some digging looking for new bones. Any bets on how long it would take before the ETF showed up and we where in jail?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I met with the local High Park Councillor, Sarah Doucette, last week and gave her a copy of the letter below (satellite photos are missing of the parks are missing). She's supportive and is pushing to have another spot closer by than what i've proposed located soon.

I'll be following up in the next few weeks and will let y'all know what I hear.

Until then please send her a note at [email protected] to let her know you want a local skills park replacement for what was lost in High Park.

Cheers,
    G

Friday May, 20, 2011

Councillor Sarah Doucette
    Toronto City Hall
    100 Queen Street West, Suite C46
    Toronto, ON M5H 2N2

Councillor Doucette,

I am writing to you as a resident of your ward, a father, a cyclist and the Vice President of Toronto Off Road Bicycle Association (TORBA).

Recently, an aboriginal group has claimed that the south eastern corner of High Park is a sacred burial ground where a BMX/dirt jump area has existed for nearly twenty years. With no consultation with users of the dirt jump area, the native group was allowed take over the space and destroy many years of hard work by volunteers. The long existence of the dirt jump area implies acceptance by the City of Toronto.

Therefore this recreation asset needs to be replaced in the local community.

TORBA is a Toronto based volunteer -run mountain bike advocacy group that works closely with City staff like Scott Laver, to develop and manage the mountain bike trails in Crothers Woods in the Don Valley. The association recommends three potential locations be considered for an off road bicycle skills park that will cater to BMX, mountain bikes and all age and skill levels to replace the loss in High Park.

Skills parks are a relatively new development in off road cycling. They are designed to allow cyclists to develop bike handling skills in a safe, specialized area containing progressively challenging obstacles, called technical trail features, like ladder bridges, drops, dirt jumps and a pump track. Kitchener recently built a large and successful BMX bike park in McLennan Park and they are quite common on the West Coast.

Option 1 Open grassy area in Kings Mill Park
    Option 2 Open grassy area in Humber Marshes Park
    Option 3 Open grassy area in South Humber Park

TORBA recommends option 1, Kings Mill Park for a skills park for the following reasons:
    - The grassy area has some slope which is preferred for skills parks
    - The grassy area should have no natural heritage concerns
    - Proximity Bloor West Village for amenities
    - Proximity to Old Mill TTC station and parking availability
    - It is located directly on a bike path so users can ideally cycle to and from
    - Kings Mill Park seems to be an under utilized green space

Councillor Doucette, TORBA asks for you in partnership with Councillor Milczyn, as the proposed locations are in his ward, to direct Parks, Forestry and Recreation to engage with the local residents and cycling community to develop one of the three options into a skills park to replace the loss of the High Park BMX area.

TORBA will partner with the City and other cycling groups like Toronto BMX to help build and maintain the skills park once a local area has been designated.

I look forward to further discussions with you to move forward in developing a local replacement for the BMX area in High Park.

Sincerely,

Graham Seaman

CC Councillor Peter Milczyn; Scott Laver, Parks, Forestry and Recreation; Michael Heaton, Toronto BMX
    Graham Seaman
    Vice President
    Toronto Off-Road Bicycle Association

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Members who have read this thread: 0