blue mountain trail pass- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

blue mountain trail pass

so i recently moved, (again) and now find myself 35-40mins from my door to the main chalet at blue mountain. i've never been there before, and checked it out yesterday for the first time. it looks impressive. is it worth it to buy a seasons pass for $269 though? or is it somewhere just to ride all the trails once and then you're bored with it?

http://www.bluemountain.ca/green_tra...es_tickets.htm

also i'm wondering for the XC trails--do you NEED to have disc brakes are are conventional ok? just have my cheapie CCM bike right now, although planning on getting something better in the near future...will i get laughed off the mountain if i show up with this thing? lol

mtbr member
    There are some who would suggest riding a CCM at blue is a hospital visit in the making, but I (sort-of) disagree.

But do yourself a favour. Rent an actual DH bike from badlands and ride the easy trail a few times. Then ask yourself if your bike has any place on that trail, given that the other trails are more difficult.

You can then answer your own question better than anyone on the internetz.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

humber river advocate
    disc brakes are a good idea for downhilling... take a leason first though at blue on a rented bike with safety gear. a little knowledge goes a long way and it will help you decide what you want to do.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomeame
    so i recently moved, (again) and now find myself 35-40mins from my door to the main chalet at blue mountain. i've never been there before, and checked it out yesterday for the first time. it looks impressive. is it worth it to buy a seasons pass for $269 though? or is it somewhere just to ride all the trails once and then you're bored with it?

also i'm wondering for the XC trails--do you NEED to have disc brakes are are conventional ok? just have my cheapie CCM bike right now, although planning on getting something better in the near future...will i get laughed off the mountain if i show up with this thing? lol
    The question is, are you riding primarily XC, or do you want to get more into shuttle riding? (doing both with the proper bike is not impossible either).

The season pass is worth it if you really are into the gravity fed, lift access style of riding. You will not get sick of the trails after one time through. Each time down you will go faster, push the limits a little more, so it really doesn't get boring.

If trail riding (XC) is more your style, you shouldn't need a pass. There is plenty of quality riding in the area not at blue, and for the times you do want to maybe check out the trails at blue, a one time pass is likely more cost effective.

If you want to do both, pick up a nice, lighter weight 6 inch travel bike that pedals well (like a SC nomad) and you'll be ready for anything. Shuttling one day, pedal around 50 km the next.

In terms of your bike, I would recommend, as mentioned before, trying out a lesson on a rented bike for DH/shutting riding first. Your CCM is not designed for that type of abuse/riding and I personally think you will be greatly increasing the possibility of a serious failure while on a DH trail.

Edit: And will you get laughed at? Unfortunately in every sub section of the sport of MTB, there are people who think that if you don't have what is considered normal gear, you could get laughed at. I've been pointed out waiting in the line at blue mountain by a group of riders, asking 'how I make it down the hill' with my bike. Seemed the crowd enjoyed that comment. Oh, and I was riding a Giant VT with 5.5 inches of travel. Really, I didn't give a **** though, I was having a great day. Best advice, forget what everyone else thinks, ride your bike, but make sure it's safe, mechanically sound and ride within your limits (or cautiously until your establish your limits).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    If trail riding (XC) is more your style, you shouldn't need a pass. There is plenty of quality riding in the area not at blue, and for the times you do want to maybe check out the trails at blue, a one time pass is likely more cost effective.
    can you elaborate on the other quality riding in the area? any good trails/maps available?

i'm definitely more into the xc, but do want to try dh at some point. i'll check out badlands and go from there

mtbr member
    I am not a local, and getting to know those who are will help you out a lot more.

But, 3 stage, which is located around Pretty River Valley PP (if I recall) is arguably the best trail riding in Ontario.

Kolopore and Beaver Valley have trails as well, and there is lots. There are rumors of a 120 km ride through the area, all trail that would take some quality endurance riders over 12 hours to finish. So there is lots to ride and it's good.

mtbr member
    Another vote for 3-stage. Definitely one of the best!

Evil Jr.
    +2 for 3-Stage. There's a lot of great riding around Blue that isn't "Blue".

As for the CCM, you might draw a couple of odd looks but you'll be fine as long as your brakes are in good shape and you don't get in over your head. I spent years tooling around on a Crappy Tire bike before I decided I was ready for an upgrade (it's been kind of downhill from there though... ). Have fun out there!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    can someone mapquest 3-stage and put a link up? sounds like i gotta check it out!

Up, Up, and Away!

A map...

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Collingwood,+Ont ario,+Canada&amp;daddr=Sideroad+6&amp;hl=en&amp;ge ocode=FUsHpwIdgPw3-ynlOljq23sqiDEgp4sz6GG-2Q%3BFaYfpgIdyJw2-w&amp;mra=ls&amp;sll=44.428386,-80.27298&amp;sspn=0.40503,1.056747&amp;ie=UTF8&amp ;ll=44.47116,-80.26309&amp;spn=0.0593,0.09492&amp;output=embed"> </iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=Collingwood,+O ntario,+Canada&amp;daddr=Sideroad+6&amp;hl=en&amp; geocode=FUsHpwIdgPw3-ynlOljq23sqiDEgp4sz6GG-2Q%3BFaYfpgIdyJw2-w&amp;mra=ls&amp;sll=44.428386,-80.27298&amp;sspn=0.40503,1.056747&amp;ie=UTF8&amp ;ll=44.47116,-80.26309&amp;spn=0.0593,0.09492" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

mtbr member
    the XC trails at blue are not worth the year pass.
    we tried them last year and they were not clearly marked and seemed to just end.
    All there efforts seemed to be geared towards the downhill runs which are apparently worth it.
    I hear the xc part is still a work in progress.
    Kolopore and 3 stage are great but can be technically challenging .
    Hardwood hills and Horse shoe are less than an hour drive.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomeame

An XC pass at Blue is a waste of money as they really have no XC trails worth riding...they just take the money let you use their lift.

They use the Bruce Trail that runs along the top of their hill...it's free and bike legal in most places (parts that are posted are clearly marked). Very challenging in places so you need a bike with gears and brakes that work. Best access is to take Scenic Caves Road up to Swiss Meadows, turn right, then right again at the end...there's parking for a few cars, drop your bike over the wall and you're good to go.

Other free and bike legal trails in the area include Kolapore, 3-Stage, and Lorree Forest (soon to go under MNR management)...Dufferin Forest is further south...and check with Simcoe County for a map of all of the Simcoe Forests, all of their forests have great trails and are bike legal (stay away during hunting season, though).

There are literally hundreds of km of the best free and bike legal XC trails within a half hour drive of Collingwood...even the Cross Canada trail cuts across the east side of the bay.

Just a long way of saying that you need not waste your money for a pass. I've been exploring the area for many years...there's some great stuff out that way.

Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Another thing, if you rent a bike there and like it, they sell them for $800 at the end of the season. If you try biking there and want to get more serious about it, that is the cheapest way to get into the sport

Members who have read this thread: 0