Blue Mountain Questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Blue Mountain Questions

I'm heading up to Blue Mountain in June with my GF. We were thinking of bringing out bikes and doing some riding while there. She is really new to MTBing and I'm not far behind haha.

Is there any trails at blue mountain or around the area that are beginner friendly? I don't want to ride their top trails, but would like to do some intermediate stuff maybe.

Will it be brutal with our hardtails?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Search for 3 stage, its close by and more intermediate. I think the trails at blue are marked like ski trails (black, blue, etc).

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Lift-assisted terrain tends to have braking bumps which would misery on a hardtail. If you two want to do a lift-assisted day, I would suggest renting a proper DH bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I think we will check out Kalopore Uplands, three stage and maybe Lorlee Forest.
    My MTB adventures! Subscribe & Like!

http://toogyhowsermtb.com

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    I wouldn't call Kolapore beginner-friendly. Some select parts of 3 Stage, maybe. I heard but can't confirm that Loree Forest is an easier ride for beginnners. Blue has some pretty boring xc trails along the top of the escarpment and some green runs for the DH.

9 lives
    I agree Kolapore and 3 Stage are more intermediate. There are rail trails and easier flatter type trails in and around Collingwood.

This map is busy but there are a lot of options

http://www.collingwood.ca/files/phot...%20website.pdf

Collingwood to Thornbury Return trip - 42 km

Rail Trail — Go Cycle Collingwood

Here's another description: which also includes a trail to Meaford,. It is a very pretty area

https://ontariobiketrails.com/item/georgian-rail-trail/

If you like bike packing

Bikepacking the Simcoe County Loop Trail — Go Cycle Collingwood
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I agree Kolapore and 3 Stage are more intermediate. There are rail trails and easier flatter type trails in and around Collingwood.

This map is busy but there are a lot of options

http://www.collingwood.ca/files/phot...%20website.pdf

Collingwood to Thornbury Return trip - 42 km

Rail Trail — Go Cycle Collingwood

Here's another description: which also includes a trail to Meaford,. It is a very pretty area

https://ontariobiketrails.com/item/georgian-rail-trail/

If you like bike packing

Bikepacking the Simcoe County Loop Trail — Go Cycle Collingwood
    Thanks!! some great info here!

mtbr member
    Lorree forest is quite easy and far less risk of getting lost compared to 3 Stage or Kolapore.

Kolapore is definitely NOT for beginners.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    My neighbour has told me that I can use their condo in Collingwood some time over the summer. With a new Giant Anthem 2, I gather that some of the trails in and around Collingwood might be of interest to me. I am looking on Trailforks and with a search under Kolapore, it comes up with more than just that. I gather that the parts around blue mountain are trails inside of blue mountain resort.

Q? is there a trail fee for Blue Mountain, or are you just paying to get into/park at the resort? Do they offer lifts to take you to the top and ride the track down to the bottom (repeat)?

As you head south of there, it looks like quite a jumble around Pretty River provincal park. It looks like most of the tracks around there are all in black.

Q? I live in Oakville and we have a black rated trail (bronte creek north). Now I have riden that a few times and it is somewhat challenging at times. Would the stuff in and around collingwood that is also rated at black be about the same level at what we have here in Oakville? Likewise, the bronte creek south is blue. would the same be true level to level for trails like that?

Kolapore I gather is around the duncan escarpment provincial park. would that be a more fun to take on over the other two closer to actual Collingwood?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    If you are new to the area, I wouldn't recommend Kolapore for first timers. The terrain is very rocky and can be extremely technical in spots. It also stays quite wet after rains or in the spring time. Should you decide to go, pick up a trail map from the Ravenna General Store (5 dollars) as it will save you a lot of grief.

My recommendation would be to stick to 3 Stage, specifically the trails up top of the escarpment and towards the west side. They dry out quickly and are not as severe as some of the others.

For Blue, you need a park pass to ride the DH trails for insurance purposes. There are a couple of XC trails as well but they are nothing worth talking about.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks for the suggestions. My wife is heading up to the friend's condo with them for a Ladies weekend out. I will see if I can get her to pick me up the map while she is up there to give me some time before I head up with the bikes for a week/weedend of fun my style.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill401 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. My wife is heading up to the friend's condo with them for a Ladies weekend out. I will see if I can get her to pick me up the map while she is up there to give me some time before I head up with the bikes for a week/weedend of fun my style.
    Id also be happy to show you around depending on the timing.

mtbr member
    Just a follow up to this, we were thinking we might just rent downhill bikes from them, now the question I have, is for beginners to downhill MTBing, would 3 hours be enough or would we want to make a day out of it and rent them for the whole day? Just wondering if we will be beat after 3 hours if we have never done downhill before. Thanks!
    Last edited by Toogy; 04-10-2018 at 10:06 AM.
    My MTB adventures! Subscribe & Like!

http://toogyhowsermtb.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    You'll probably be pretty beat up after 3 hours, but i'd go for the whole day. It's not cheap when taking rentals into account, so you might as well make the most of it.

Also, do rent the armour for your first time.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    I agree with Section 31 on renting for the whole day. You'll need a bit of time to fuss around with setting up the bike how you like it. You'll be riding the beginner to intermediate trails which are at least half the way across the escarpment, so you'll spend time riding to those. And then depending on the time and day of the week you go, you'll spend time waiting at the bottom of the lift. Give yourself time to relax and enjoy it...don't rush.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Kamakaze bikes in Collingwood rent for significantly cheaper than at the hill. The bikes arent as new though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TJayL View Post
    Kamakaze bikes in Collingwood rent for significantly cheaper than at the hill. The bikes arent as new though.
    Kamikaze is getting new rentals this year. Quality shop.

mtbr member
    Both Kolapore and Three Stages are on Trailforks. They are both really nice places in so far as scenery. Might have to hike a bike a couple of sections, but so what. Depends how beginner you are.
    Burnt Norton