Blue Mountain... mmmmmkay...- Mtbr.com
    sock puppet

Blue Mountain... mmmmmkay...

Decided to take a weekend off from racing and do some good training / fun riding during my stay at Blue with my family... Plan was to do some climbing and safe descending, if possible off road. I remembered from a couple of years ago that one of the trails just by the Scenic Caves road - Embryo - was quite fun... That was the plan...

My first climb was up some gravel road off of one of the sideroads, that looked like it was climbing into the sky... Just up and up and up, and there was no end in sight... We called it a Bit$% a couple of years ago, while training... Biatch it was indeed, just relentless grade up... Descended to the start of DH trails down Scenic Caves and crossed paths with a medium group of DH riders. Asked about the "safest" trail down, for a lycra boy on XC bike... They looked at me funny like - "You are going to go down on THAT" but then helped me out jokingly... They were actually quite funny and friendly, unlike some of their representatives on this board.. Half of the group joined me on my descent, as they had a couple of beginners... So there we had a sausage suit clipped in and bunch of dudes with full body armour, having fun together... They were surprised that I could go down fairly fast with such a high seatpost and no armour, and i was admiring their long travel and ease of soaking bumps and drops... They didn't question my choice of pedals either. What a nice difference...

Blue Mountain is becoming XC friendlier, with some trails that are fun-er on short travel light bikes - which could be ridden BOTH directions. Even "XC riders this way" signs are posted. Heresy?

Maybe that is why some steakholders are so erratic and nervous. Don't know... But there are enough trails for everyone, no fear...

Riding back up the Scenic Caves road, a roadie catches up, all huffing and puffing and slowly passes me... I threw "Good effort" in his direction, but no response back... Almost decided to suck his wheel just to piss him off more, but let him go... Maybe he was suffering too much in 35 degrees... Yes, it was hot... Best conditions for training...

Chillin' on the beach right now... Weber baby-Q is warming up for some good chicken and shish-kebab.. No fungi, but will throw some veggies on as well...

Life is grand... Hope you biatches had fun today at Hardwood... My thoughts were with you, but this was my family weekend...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blue Mountain... mmmmmkay...-photo.jpg  

Blue Mountain... mmmmmkay...-photo%5B1%5D.jpg  

Blue Mountain... mmmmmkay...-photo%5B2%5D.jpg  

Last edited by osokolo; 07-23-2011 at 03:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hells yeah. Sounds like a great day.

mtbr member
    Been here all weekend. I'm the poseur in the quickstep kit on the (borrowed) Cervelo and/or the hack in the white fox kit on the old VP-free.

If you see me doing either say hi, however it's a family weekend for us as well, lots of time goofing around with the kids. The mountain coaster was a hit with my 4-yr-old.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Been here all weekend. I'm the poseur in the quickstep kit on the (borrowed) Cervelo and/or the hack in the white fox kit on the old VP-free.

If you see me doing either say hi, however it's a family weekend for us as well, lots of time goofing around with the kids. The mountain coaster was a hit with my 4-yr-old.
    We also spent all day Saturday dh-ing at Blue. Plan to go back today,

Blue has invested a lot into a "diversified trail network" for riders of all interests and abilities. And also providing diversional activies for everyone if they don't ride bikes.

Happy trails and Shred the Gnar

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post

Life is grand...
    Yep, it sure is. I've been living up here for two months now...I'm in Wasaga, daughter lives in Collingwood. Finding great new XC trails everyday, although the drought has made the sandy sections a bit fluffy in places, the deer flies follow you for hours, and the poison ivy is healthy in some parts.

Still fun, put together a loop of about 100km...

Yep, sold the house at Burnamthorpe/Kipling...best site was Toronto in the rear-view.
    Last edited by JM01; 07-28-2011 at 07:04 AM.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post
    best site was Toronto in the rear-view.
    hehe... don't blame you for that...

Coming up again this weekend for some riding and R&R with family...

banned
    Mar 2005

No kidding...house sold in 2 days, 8 offers.

Good luck this weekend...it's a sunny long weekend, all of the citidiots will be up.

I'm sticking to my home trails on this side of the bay.

Should be fun.
    Last edited by JM01; 07-28-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Ontario has a real mountain???

sock puppet
    yep
    Mountain Equipment Co-op...
    That's about it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Anyone doing the XC race in the East Coast Open? There isn't much info on the website about it regarding trails, distance, etc....

sock puppet
    I will be up there that weekend and will seriously consider racing...

banned
    Mar 2005
    yep
    Mountain Equipment Co-op...
    That's about it...
    You don't need a mountain for XC...there's nice stuff on our Niagara Escarpment.

I'm finding that recently I'm spending more time on my road bikes...there's a nice loop from Wasaga to Creemore, then through Glen Huron, Duntroon, Nottawa, Collingwood, and back home through Batteux. About 100km, a lot of climbs, especially on Fairgrounds Road and up to Duntroon...who needs a "mountain"?

banned
    Mar 2005

Getting interesting on the trails on my side of the bay...went out last week, first thing I see the MNR warning of bear sightings on the trails...half hour into the ride I turn a corner and just about run over a coyote lying on the trail. We just starred at each other wondering who would run first...I won.

MNR tells me that it's a good thing that they still fear humans...but not so much anymore. My niece's classmate got eaten by coyotes in Nova Scotia a couple of years ago...hope that doesn't happen here.