Blue Mountain Downhill OCUP Cancelled - Oh oh!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Blue Mountain Downhill OCUP Cancelled - Oh oh!

From the OCA site:

http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_pa...ing.php?id=492

Notice the comments about insurance costs and claims and the governments concerns about the impact on tourism. I'm going to make a tongue and cheek relation, as we become less physically fit we become more litigious causing us to become less physically fit as more areas for excersise close causing us to become more litigious causing us to...

Blue Mountain Downhill OCUP Cancelled
    Jun.08.2005

The Ontario Cup Downhill Mountain Bike event has been cancelled on the July long weekend.

Due to circumstances relating to a claim and insurance concerns, Blue Mountain Resorts has notified the Ontario Cycling Association and Sirbikealot Racing and Promotions (the Downhill Race event organizer) that the event scheduled for July 2nd and 3rd will not happen.

"This is tremendously upsetting," stated Steve Merker, Executive Director of the OCA. "Downhill racing in Ontario has recently seen a participation surge. Our first event of the year had record numbers and we were looking forward to building on that momentum. It's truly sad that insurance concerns are frightening venues away from hosting sporting events and activities."

Similar issues are happening in sports that use public facilities. For example, recreational basketball participation has dropped significantly due to the increasing costs of gym space in schools. Cycling is in danger of losing venues and therefore participation due to closures such as Blue Mountain. Dagmar Ski resort and Pleasure Valley, two very popular mountain bike destinations, have shut their gates to recreational and competitive cyclists within the last two years.

Closures and cancellations are threatening the Ministry of Tourism and Recreation's goal "to increase Ontario's sport participation and physical activity rate so that by the year 2010, at least 55 per cent of Ontarians are physically active" The youth of Ontario will be affected the most by these closures.

This cancellation may have repercussions beyond Ontario. As Intrawest owns and operates many facilities across North America, this could jeopardize future events at venues such as Tremblant in Quebec and Whistler in British Columbia.

banned
    Mar 2005
    i hope that this will not become a trend. it probably has more to do with it being an intrawest facility...they're high profile in the area, target a high income, condo buying customer, and are a bit of a thorn for area residents

they also allow anyone on the chair with their bikes during the season, some kids use their V-brake costco hardtails. You would think that they would insist on proof of some basic skill ability before selling them a lift pass if they're concerned about liability.

anyway, i suspect that if the condo owners were into DH, the race would still be on

just on my way there when i finish this

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I was at an Interwest facility in WV called Snowshoe. Very cool place; they had DH on one side of the mountain, Freeride on the other with some serious stunts (one kicked my be-hind, but-good) and they even had plenty-o-XC stuff everywhere else.

I don't think the problem is Interwest; "most likely them f---k'n lawyers agin"
    this space left intentionally blank

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

No good

Quote Originally Posted by Braids

Closures and cancellations are threatening the Ministry of Tourism and Recreation's goal "to increase Ontario's sport participation and physical activity rate so that by the year 2010, at least 55 per cent of Ontarians are physically active" The youth of Ontario will be affected the most by these closures.
    They want the kids of Ontario to be fit, but there won't be any facilities open for them to exercise. When I was in school in the 60s & 70s. If you fell down, someone said, "Suck it up," & you got back up & into the game. My 8 year old nephew can't take his hockey stick to play road hockey @ school because SOMEONE MIGHT hit someone w/ the stick
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yeah its a pretty scary situation thats developing.

Theyre definately not going to reach the target fitness level if it has to be done inside at the gym, or with boring stuff like power walking (because you could fall when running).

Mar 2004
    Forgive my ignorance but I never did understand that we all who use the BM facilities have signed a wavier. If we get hurt is our problem, right? Or does insurance company will just raise your premium no matter what as long as you allow mtbiking in the resort. Just as they like to rip us off from auto insurance?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    They want the kids of Ontario to be fit, but there won't be any facilities open for them to exercise. When I was in school in the 60s & 70s. If you fell down, someone said, "Suck it up," & you got back up & into the game. My 8 year old nephew can't take his hockey stick to play road hockey @ school because SOMEONE MIGHT hit someone w/ the stick
    (stands and applauds) VERY well said, Revrnd. Same thing here. "Get up and get back in there" was the usual motivational comment.

My take on this crap (and that's EXACTLY what it is); money makes the world go 'round, people nowadays are lazy and everyone wants to cover their butt "just in case". Society breeds laziness (partially) through technology - everything you want at the touch of a button. Why be fit when you can be rich?

BM can face the consequences by loosing money this year (speculative). It's their bed, they've made it and now they can sleep in it. Unfortunately, as previously mentioned in the OCA article, this is happening with many sports.

Charlie - fall when running, HAHAHAHA! Who do you sue for that? Municipal or Provincial? HAHAHAHA!!!!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Charlie - fall when running, HAHAHAHA! Who do you sue for that? Municipal or Provincial? HAHAHAHA!!!!
    HA, good question, i guess it would depend if its a municipal or provincial road. But as anyone can see, once you start talking about responsibility for stupid little things the situation gets rediculus. People have to take responsibility for their own actions.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by esmundo
    Forgive my ignorance but I never did understand that we all who use the BM facilities have signed a wavier. If we get hurt is our problem, right? Or does insurance company will just raise your premium no matter what as long as you allow mtbiking in the resort. Just as they like to rip us off from auto insurance?
    The waivers are useless...you can't sign away the right to sue in ontario, quebec, and quite a few other provinces and many US states.

The Charlottesburg Forest trails in eastern ontario (bit northeast of cornwall) are also closed now due to lack of insurance carrier, and having crashed off one of the major stunts there (this big teetertotter called the beast, which is like only 4 feet off the ground, but its about 30 feet long, has a twist in it, and shimmies when it comes down - between two big trees) and used a tree against the side of my head and face to arrest my fall, I can understand their concern for having liability insurance.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    there has to be some sort of rational reason as to why they cancelled the dh race. BM hosts alot of downhill races in the winter and you can have serious injuries with those too. BM is a part of Intrawest resorts and out here Whistler has expanded there bike park to include another huge amount of terrain as well as adding new singletrack and adding more lifts. I'm sure they have done this at some of there other resorts as well.Whistler still has there Crankworx festival where people are jumping off stunts almost as tall as BM itself. Whistler has added a jump farm at midstaion level. So there must be a rational reason as to why the downhill race got cancelled.

If you wanna ride real terrain come on out to Whistler.....

Mar 2004
    =

If you wanna ride real terrain come on out to Whistler.....
    Why'd you come back you made me jealous

banned
    Mar 2005
    i still suspect thats it not an insurance issue, they would shut the facilty if that were the case as there is more chance of the weekend warriors getting hurt and suing before someone participating in an organized race

there is starting to be a shift in the culture in the area...to more upscale, family stuff. Wasaga cancelled Wakestock after 2 years because of the type of people it attracted, possibly the reason why Wasaga becomes a police state on the weekends (the OPP causes more problems than the kids)

Intrawest depends on maintaining a certain profile to keep attracting the "right" people to their Wallyworld. They'll keep the weekend DH's happy as long as they can make a buck and not adversly affect the condo-ers, but once the cultures clash, that too will be eliminated

sort of what's happening to skiing and golf in the area, more hills and clubs are becoming private, mostly to ensure that the members are sheltered from the unwashed...ever notice that more of the residents are begining to look and dress the same? (reminds one of the Stepford Wives)...they even had loudspeakers playing happy music on Hurontario Street in Collingwood, just like Canada's Wonderland (i think they stopped this last year)

our days may be numbered

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Supposedly some 'tard crashed in the last O-cup and paralyzed himself. Now he's suing. Too bad he didn't break his neck and die. Hmmm... did I say that out loud...

Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    Supposedly some 'tard crashed in the last O-cup and paralyzed himself. Now he's suing. Too bad he didn't break his neck and die. Hmmm... did I say that out loud...
    Most likely the case here, as it is in most, is driven by money. The poor guy who injured himself at the O-cup (something that could happen to any of us including you, SSteel) last year probably doesn't have anything to do with the claim against BM. His insurance company will desperately be searching for a responsible 'body' to which it can lay blame for the accident. First will be the facility itself, BM. Second, the race organizers and promotors. Possibly even go as far as the people who built the track itself. There is no telling how far they will search for someone to blame for the accident. Once they have satisfied themselves that there are no other responsible parties, they will then be forced to issue the insurance settlement to the poor guy. Bottom line is that they are looking for someone else to foot the bill.

All the while during the insurance company's desperate search for someone else to pay for the claim, the life of a healthy bike-ridin', mountain-shreadin' brother of our's has been changed indefinately. He is laying in a bed looking at the ceiling wondering how his life is going to change as a result of his accident that no doubt happened in a split second and was in no way expected or planned for by him or any of the people who are close to him.

Now he gets home and wants to continue being involved with the mountain bike scene in the best way that he can by staying current with the affairs and goings-on of our community. He then comes across a post from a guy that wished he were dead as a result of his injury because a race got cancelled and that now mountain biking is hanging on the wire in our region.

Remember that he is not the one driving the insurance investigation. He is one of us. He is my brother and I stand by him now like I hope all of you would stand by me if I were in his shoes. I, too, will be missing out on 2 DH races as a result of the cancellation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.8m/s2
    Most likely the case here, as it is in most, is driven by money. The poor guy who injured himself at the O-cup (something that could happen to any of us including you, SSteel) last year probably doesn't have anything to do with the claim against BM. His insurance company will desperately be searching for a responsible 'body' to which it can lay blame for the accident. First will be the facility itself, BM. Second, the race organizers and promotors. Possibly even go as far as the people who built the track itself. There is no telling how far they will search for someone to blame for the accident. Once they have satisfied themselves that there are no other responsible parties, they will then be forced to issue the insurance settlement to the poor guy. Bottom line is that they are looking for someone else to foot the bill.

All the while during the insurance company's desperate search for someone else to pay for the claim, the life of a healthy bike-ridin', mountain-shreadin' brother of our's has been changed indefinately. He is laying in a bed looking at the ceiling wondering how his life is going to change as a result of his accident that no doubt happened in a split second and was in no way expected or planned for by him or any of the people who are close to him.

Now he gets home and wants to continue being involved with the mountain bike scene in the best way that he can by staying current with the affairs and goings-on of our community. He then comes across a post from a guy that wished he were dead as a result of his injury because a race got cancelled and that now mountain biking is hanging on the wire in our region.

Remember that he is not the one driving the insurance investigation. He is one of us. He is my brother and I stand by him now like I hope all of you would stand by me if I were in his shoes. I, too, will be missing out on 2 DH races as a result of the cancellation.

If that truly is the case then, I apologize, and instead wish all the insurance companies & lawyers a speedy descent to the bottom of the ocean.

HOWEVER, as I mentioned in my post I heard that HE was the one suing. If you are not willing to pay the price then donít enter the starting gate. Donít try and sue someone else for your lack of skill/judgment/luck... accept responsibility for your own actions.