Blue Mountain (again...)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Blue Mountain (again...)

I'm trying to get some info about MTB at blue mountain so I searched the threads and found this un-answered question "Would a XC rider be ok riding down Blue mt. ? Or would it total my bike?"

As this question wasn't answered on that thread I thought I would revive it here (as I too ride xc with a intermediate hardtail, and I don't want a totalled bike..).

I've seen some mpeg videos of riding at Whistler and there were massive drop offs and jumps, not for me, so I want to make sure if I drive up to Blue one day they will have some beginner/intermediate singletrack runs for the rest of us.

BTW, their web site is a piece of garbage.

mtbr member

Blue

I've only been there once, but the stuff I rode DEFINITELY wasn't for a XC Hardtail. I had a full squish and I was wishing I had more travel and a dual crown front fork. Some of the stuff in there is definitely doable on an XC bike, but a lot of it is super steep and I think the geometry of a hardtail would make it feel pretty sketchy.

However with that said, I understand there is a pile of XC singletrack at the top or something - hopefully someone else can chime in about this.

You might want to rent a full squish Norco from them this year though. You'll be hooked

Cheers,
    Dan

Mar 2004

try 3 Stages for xc riding

If you want excellent xc riding right near (like 5 min away) blue, go to 3 stages.
    There are maps available at the bike/ski shops in collingwood, and probably at Dukes or MEC downtown toronto. Only been there once several years ago but I can still visualize the wicked scenery and rolling, twisting singletrack.

mtbr member

it really comes down to

what sort of riding you are comfortable with and if you want to push your limits.

I used to ride dh at Bromont on a '98 Trek Y5 and it was a ton of fun. I would say for sure you could have a blast and even learn a couple of things by riding your bike at Blue.

To say that you need lots of travel and a dual crown fork there is rediculous. If you want to go "very" fast there than I agree, but I rode there all season last year with a 5" travel bike and had no problems whatsoever. (even rode Whistler with my 5" bike and had fun)

-One thing to consider is the geometry of your setup, if you have a long stem on your bike (ie 120mm) it may be more difficult to get your weight back over the rear tire on the steeps. Try the steepest stuff you can find by your place, if it's too difficult consider dropping on a shorter stem to make it easier, you don't want to be going over the bars too often.
    -Be prepared to drop your seat down as well, it makes the bike easier to maneuver under you and gets it out of the way when you're getting your weight back
    -Also be sure your brake pads are in good condition, you'll be using them. Hopefully you at least have V brakes ... right?
    -I'd certainly invest in some leg & arm armour as you'll invariably wipe out at some point, why let it ruin your day ...

Most (not all) of the stunts/drops have "sport" lines or "chicken" lines around them so you'd be ok, but be sure to check it out beforehand, if you don't see a line around it then walk it. The signage is getting better so you usually know when something is coming up, and if you hear riders coming up behind you pull off to the side if you're worried about holding them up. Just pace yourself, as you learn the trails, you'll go a little faster each time.

Will you "total" your bike? ... that depends on what quality of bike you have and how hard you decice to push it. Think of it as steeper trails where you don't have to do much pedalling, and keep in mind that it's only 700-800ft high so it's not super steep all the way just in spots.

And if you're still not sure, try a bike rental out for a day.

Hope this helps

Clem

Apr 2004

yeah.

i agree with what's been said. if you want cross country stuff go to 3-stage or kolapore. if you want to ride DH/freeride stuff go to blue but be careful. if you ride at your skill level, you and your bike should be fine. if you aren't landing drops and stuff smoothly your bike won't last long but if you start small and progress up to bigger stuff you'll be able to nail it on a HT (up to a point, anyway). definetly grab some leg and arm armour and maybe some flats too. nothing worse than riding a skinny, being 3-4 feet in the air and having to clip out if your gonna bail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Blue

Thanks for the feedback.

In terms of riding other areas around Blue, it's not that I'm looking for singletrack to ride specifically in that area, it's that I wanted to experience the "downhill singletrack" (you know, not having to peddle up a steep hill...or walk my bike..lol).

I have a Kona Blast and I'm not the type to push my limits. I think I will save this decision for later in the year and bring my wife along for a weekend getaway. I'm a newb to singletrack and need to build up some experience 1st anyways.

Mar 2004

need more info on Blue

Sorry to divert this thread but it looks like it's over anyway. I haven't been to Blue Mountain in over 4 years. Back then there were only 3 or 4 lines down the hill and it was okay (we all rode ht's with 4 inch forks btw) but not rippin'. Sounds like it's vastly improved. Stunts? Drops? Tell me more! I love Bromont but I can't honestly get there that often...Blue is doable in a day trip for me, so I'd love to know more.
    Thanks,
    Gabe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambhead
    Sorry to divert this thread but it looks like it's over anyway. I haven't been to Blue Mountain in over 4 years. Back then there were only 3 or 4 lines down the hill and it was okay (we all rode ht's with 4 inch forks btw) but not rippin'. Sounds like it's vastly improved. Stunts? Drops? Tell me more! I love Bromont but I can't honestly get there that often...Blue is doable in a day trip for me, so I'd love to know more.
    Thanks,
    Gabe
    Last year it opened under Intrawest's ownership, they wanted to gauge the interest and it worked out very well (that's why we have a lift coming in July no more shuttle van!!!)

12 or so trails with lots of options. Varying degrees of diffculty, nothing crazy tech like some of the trails at Bromont, but it does make for an incredibly fun day.

Some extremely fast sections (like the entrance to Highway, smooth singletrack straight down into a gully... very intense .. .easily 40mph+), lots of offcamber (although they've fixed some of that) and a small variety of jumps, drops & stunts.

They are hoping to build a world class dh course this year (4 guys working for 3 weeks straight on it) with a progressive dropzone and jump park (just like Whistler)
    They will also be adding more trails since the lift starts running in July and the present trail assortment are too far to the South end of the hill for easy access.

They open on May 15th (shuttle service until July, sucks but it's better than nothing), not sure if I'll make it that weekend (only if it's not a mudbowl) but I'll post up when myself and my buds are going (got season's passes!!)

Make sure to come up, I enjoy Bromont as well but can't justify the drive too often (maybe once a season) you'll have a great time.

Clem

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ok I live up here at Blue mtn....... i know it sucks but we all have to live somewhere!
    From everything i have heard the last guy had alkot right. They are creating a bike park where they have the snowboard park in the winter and will have jumps and stunts and stuff like that in there.

They will be removing the chairs and replacing them with an open air gondola which you can take your bike in with you and ride to the top. Up at the top of the mtn will be 10 - 12 km of trails and then of course trails down the mtn. Hey if people are crazy enough they could ride straight down the hill but thats not for me. I'm sure some of the trails will be connecting up with the Bruce trail which already exists up on top of the mtn. I'm sure if someone tried hard enough they could find there way over to Loree forest from the top of Blue mtn.

I'm sure that there will be decent trails and suitable ways down the mtn that we can all have fun with totalling our bikes.

ps...there are still patches of snow on the mtn ...although they become smaller by the day

Mar 2004

thanks for the info hubba

I will definately be checking blue out this year. I'm going to bromont for the may 24 and maybe again in the fall, but I know what you mean about getting there more than a couple times a year. Those lucky Montrealers, eh? Bromont is to them what ravenshoe is to me, or blue to you.

Thanks for the reply,
    Gabe