Black bears, do you carry anyhting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Black bears, do you carry anyhting

With the cancellation of the spring bear hunt, the numbers of bears seem to have increased and incidents with bears have also increased. Most people in this forum live in the South where the biggest danger is poison ivy. There has already been an attack by a black bear on a dog walker in Sudbury, right near the city. Do you carry anything or have any plan B when it comes to bears.

Feb 2006
    Plan B..... RIDE/RUN LIKE FREAKING HELL!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    I currently do not carry anything or have a plan B, and would like to know if this is really an issue.

Does poison ivy=black bears?

1946:2006:2066

bear spray

Quote Originally Posted by north_of_us
    With the cancellation of the spring bear hunt, the numbers of bears seem to have increased and incidents with bears have also increased. Most people in this forum live in the South where the biggest danger is poison ivy. There has already been an attack by a black bear on a dog walker in Sudbury, right near the city. Do you carry anything or have any plan B when it comes to bears.
    It's been mentioned in other threads ...

see http://www.mec.ca
    under Hiking / Camping > Health & Safety > Outdoor Safety

doesn't work on poisin ivy

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

banned
    Mar 2005
    My daughter, who works for MNR, now bikes daily about 6 miles outside of Parry Sound and tells me lots of bear stories.

You can't really outrun them, they're dangerous now if you get between mom and her cubs, and am told the best thing to do is to back away slowly. Spray would just tick them off, especially if they're protecting their cubs.

I also hear that if they don't run off, try to get your bike between you and the bear...it will buy some time before you're shredded. However, most bears try to avoid human contact unless they feel threatened or are very hungry.

We had one in Wasaga last year...it was sighted a couple of times, then disappeared until a cottager found it living in his cottage when he came up for the weekend...

Apr 2006
    Have you ever seen a bear on the trail? I have. I came around a corner on one occasion. I was sort of looking down. I saw something pop up in front of me. It was a bear in the middle of the trail. He turned and looked at me, and I looked at him. I am not sure who was running in the other direction faster. It was a BIG bear, and he smashed fair sized trees as he ran DOWN through the forest.

Last year on a weekly group ride, my buddy ran into a bear on the trail. Stopped his bike immediately, and he flew over the bars. The bear ripped out his rear derailler cable somehow as it freaked out from the impact and ran like a demon possessed.

Good luck spraying pepper at anything but yourself... hehe. I think bells are a good idea if it means that much to you. Bears freak out over it just like we do. A little fair warning is never a bad idea.

Of course I would never carry or use anything for black bears. I have encountered them on many occasions. They don't worry me. Not like lions and angry goats do anyway.

Mar 2006
    I would choose an air horn over spray. Although I doubt either would make much difference. If the bear isnt angry, it will run. If it is angry, you die .

LBS Manager

Shoot it

I wish we could carry hand guns in Canada that would solve the problem. All the gun controll in the world wont stop criminals from carrying guns so I say we should all be to cary them.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    I wish we could carry hand guns in Canada that would solve the problem. All the gun controll in the world wont stop criminals from carrying guns so I say we should all be to cary them.
    good luck to you on that johnny...maybe someone will bite.

north, i know it is cliche but bear avoidance and good bear policy seems to be the most suggested solutions, would seem spray is a final resort...if you have it make it bloody easy to get to.
    Banff knows a thing or two: https://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/visit12_E.asp
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member

Don't ever run...

Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    good luck to you on that johnny...maybe someone will bite.

north, i know it is cliche but bear avoidance and good bear policy seems to be the most suggested solutions, would seem spray is a final resort...if you have it make it bloody easy to get to.
    Banff knows a thing or two: https://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/visit12_E.asp
    As an avid interior camper in the north of Ontario and a trip to NWT where the Grizzlies roam, I have done some research in this area. Not to mention, I am paranoid yet fascinated with these animals. That said, you should never run from a black bear. That is an invitation to get chased and attacked. The best plan is to make yourself as big as possible and make lots of noise. Typically, the bear will retreat very quickly. The same is true for grizzlies ( the retreating part) although you must be calm and collected with them and just make them aware of your presence. If you get between any bear and it's young, predictability becomes much less. The softer back away approach is the best bet.

Bear spray? These are fast animals. Are you going to wear in on your hip. Not. If you crash it may cause a personal injury. And if it's in your camelbak, you won't get it out in time. If you are lucky, you will be far enough away that you can enjoy the experience. My wife and I saw a Grizz and her cubs in Nahanni National Park a couple of summers ago and it was amazing. Although, I was looking over my shoulder all the way back to camp...

N.

Custom User Title

hehe, ya riding with a loaded handgun on the ready in and in your sweaty little fist sounds like a sound idea and would probably solve lots of problems.

I am sure you would shoot lots of troublesome critters... and fellow riders... and if we were lucky a few ATV'ers

good one

although we did see a dude riding the trails with a large knife in a sheath, ducktaped to his headset once... course he was also wearing a John Deere ball cap and riding a supercycle with a kickstand...he said something about encountering mean dogs in the past or something but frankly I was scrambling to move on...

Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    As an avid interior camper in the north of Ontario and a trip to NWT where the Grizzlies roam, I have done some research in this area. Not to mention, I am paranoid yet fascinated with these animals. That said, you should never run from a black bear. That is an invitation to get chased and attacked. The best plan is to make yourself as big as possible and make lots of noise. Typically, the bear will retreat very quickly. The same is true for grizzlies ( the retreating part) although you must be calm and collected with them and just make them aware of your presence. If you get between any bear and it's young, predictability becomes much less. The softer back away approach is the best bet.

Bear spray? These are fast animals. Are you going to wear in on your hip. Not. If you crash it may cause a personal injury. And if it's in your camelbak, you won't get it out in time. If you are lucky, you will be far enough away that you can enjoy the experience. My wife and I saw a Grizz and her cubs in Nahanni National Park a couple of summers ago and it was amazing. Although, I was looking over my shoulder all the way back to camp...

N.
    I love people that offer advice on dealing with bears from their sofa. Good old internet research... studying the same ignorance over and over. Thats so nice that you and your wife saw a bear or two several years ago. Grizzlies are NOT black bears. Two entirely different animals. I have lived for extensive periods of time around both. Run from black bears all you want, it is not an invitation for anything. The event also tends to happen when you come literally face to face with one. Most people run, others stand shocked. It is not a choice that is made rationally when you don't have the time. The choice is made for you. It is no different for the bear. If he knew you were there, he would not have been there. The family dog is usually more dangerous than a black bear.

Do whatever you want with a griz. There is no rhyme or reason to what a griz is going to do. I don't believe ANYONE knows what the right action is with a griz. The circumstances are different everytime.

bi-winning
    Recently i encountered a loose dog on the trail, with no owner in sight, though there was a house near. It was barking at me, and i considered it to be dangerous, as it was a fair sized dog. I stopped, and got off my bike. I basicly stood still. It continued to bark, but showed no signs of agression. I basicly waited till it lost interest, then carried on.

Now, lets make that dog a bear. I definitely would not turn and run. It could catch me if it only wanted to, so that would be of no use. So, i would probably handle the situation similarly. I have heard and read several times that bears don't like noise, so i would make some.

Actually, i recently added a fox 40 classic whistle to my saddle bag. I could blow that for lots of noise. However, black bears are not at all common in Niagara Falls/St. Catharines, so it is obviously not an issue i worry about.

Since i often ride solo, and own no cell phone, i figured a whisle was the next best thing for an emergency, which is most likely to be an injury, not a bear. Someone is bound to hear it, as i don't ride in what you would call backcountry.

SOS=short short short long long long short short short.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by DamoNNomaD
    I love people that offer advice on dealing with bears from their sofa. Good old internet research... studying the same ignorance over and over. Thats so nice that you and your wife saw a bear or two several years ago. Grizzlies are NOT black bears. Two entirely different animals. I have lived for extensive periods of time around both. Run from black bears all you want, it is not an invitation for anything. The event also tends to happen when you come literally face to face with one. Most people run, others stand shocked. It is not a choice that is made rationally when you don't have the time. The choice is made for you. It is no different for the bear. If he knew you were there, he would not have been there. The family dog is usually more dangerous than a black bear.

Do whatever you want with a griz. There is no rhyme or reason to what a griz is going to do. I don't believe ANYONE knows what the right action is with a griz. The circumstances are different everytime.
    So are you saying the Blackbear is like a guy and the Griz like a woman?
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Payer

hehe, ya riding with a loaded handgun on the ready in and in your sweaty little fist sounds like a sound idea and would probably solve lots of problems.

I am sure you would shoot lots of troublesome critters... and fellow riders... and if we were lucky a few ATV'ers

good one

although we did see a dude riding the trails with a large knife in a sheath, ducktaped to his headset once... course he was also wearing a John Deere ball cap and riding a supercycle with a kickstand...he said something about encountering mean dogs in the past or something but frankly I was scrambling to move on...

I wouldn't take pleasure in killing anything I don't even eat meat because of my love for animals but if one was attacking me and I had means to defend myself I wouldn't think twice. We are just lucky that we don't have alot of cougars here because they will hunt and stalk you. That said there has been a cougar around barrie in the past year it killed a horse just a few km away from Hard wood hills last year. In California they deal with them all the time we are lucky this seems to be a lone cat. As far as shooting ATV'ers I would aim for the tires of course

mtbr member

My Sofa?

Quote Originally Posted by DamoNNomaD

Someone p!ss in your Raisin Bran this morning? Thanks for imparting your knowledge. I never suggested I was an expert, but I have read my and watched my fair share of research being that I sleep with one eye open in bear country. And your suggestion in respect to internet information is a broad assumption... And when did I suggest that they were the same animals? I certainly agree that the animal's instinct and yours that split second is a key factor in how things play out. However, I also know that much of what has been documented about Black Bears is not to run. And yes the family dog is more dangerous. They are afraid of us most of the time. And for the record, I am far from ignorant when it comes to bare behaviour and how my presence affects them with I am in "their land".

sock puppet

what do you expect...

Someone p!ss in your Raisin Bran this morning? Thanks for imparting your knowledge. I never suggested I was an expert, but I have read my and watched my fair share of research being that I sleep with one eye open in bear country. And your suggestion in respect to internet information is a broad assumption... And when did I suggest that they were the same animals? I certainly agree that the animal's instinct and yours that split second is a key factor in how things play out. However, I also know that much of what has been documented about Black Bears is not to run. And yes the family dog is more dangerous. They are afraid of us most of the time. And for the record, I am far from ignorant when it comes to bare behaviour and how my presence affects them with I am in "their land".
    from someone who started riding at his / her birth in colorado...

rad to the power of sick
    I wouldn't take pleasure in killing anything I don't even eat meat because of my love for animals but if one was attacking me and I had means to defend myself I wouldn't think twice. We are just lucky that we don't have alot of cougars here because they will hunt and stalk you. That said there has been a cougar around barrie in the past year it killed a horse just a few km away from Hard wood hills last year. In California they deal with them all the time we are lucky this seems to be a lone cat. As far as shooting ATV'ers I would aim for the tires of course
    You should see Guelph and Hamilton man...cougars show up at the university bars all the time.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    You should see Guelph and Hamilton man...cougars show up at the university bars all the time.
    ya. thats the ticket.
    ACTUAL PHOTO:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Bored
    during my very brief stint with the Ontario Geologic Society, I had taken some manditory training on Bear encounters. I was told to make yourself look as large as possible, and use your loudest voice to try and get the bear to back down. A mother with cubs.. yer f'd.... but otherwise, try holding your bike over your head and yelling really loud. Also, a bear bell attached to the bike, while annoying as hell, might make enough noise to avoid an encounter in the first place.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A Cougar.
    Really,
    A Cougar.

Oh you mean one of those women clawing their way through the lonely College Students at Georgian.

Oh well keep fishing, Animal Lover.

Stosh

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    ya. thats the ticket.
    ACTUAL PHOTO:
    back in my caucasian days *shudder*

...someones gonna be wishing he had more gears next time i see him.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    back in my caucasian days *shudder*

...someones gonna be wishing he had more gears next time i see him.
    google didnt help with supelightracer hooks up with cougars...best i could do on short notice...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ahh we come across very frequently. Actually the other day while just driving through the village I encountered one crossing the road.
    I have also encountered them several times while riding. The first time last year was while I rippin down a fire road and heard some rustlin in the bushes and looked other and there was mother with her youngin. They turned and high tailed but I also kept right on high tailing. I did know my buddy was coming a couple minutes behind me in the car....But these bears were less than 6 feet away..just on the other side of the ditch.
    We have also encountered bears grazing out on the ski runs while we were biking up Whistler. We just took a lower line around him in case he decided to do anything ..it gave us better options for getting out of the area.

But many good points have been made in this post.

Make yourself heard..
    If you do encounter one then make yourself seem as large as possible. Don't do anything rash but you need to make the bear feel you are the more dominant one.

Back away from the bear slowly
    a good website for knowing more about becoming bearsmart is www.bearsmart.com

LBS Manager

F--- You

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh (Canada)
    A Cougar.
    Really,
    A Cougar.

Oh you mean one of those women clawing their way through the lonely College Students at Georgian.

Oh well keep fishing, Animal Lover.

Stosh
    There was a Cougar (the four legged furry type) around Barrie last year and yes it did kill a horse just a few km away from Hard wood hills. I am not Fishing or trolling in anyway so kiss my ass.

banned
    Mar 2005
    And for the record, I am far from ignorant when it comes to bare behaviour and how my presence affects them with I am in "their land".
    Can we vote on that?

sock puppet

hmm, a vote would be appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    Can we vote on that?
    wouldn't it?

banned
    Mar 2005
    There was a Cougar (the four legged furry type) around Barrie last year and yes it did kill a horse just a few km away from Hard wood hills. I am not Fishing or trolling in anyway so kiss my ass.

Was it a cougar or a fisher? Reason for asking is that we've always had coyotes on our trails, but now fishers and the odd bear is beginning to show up...and this is in Wasaga!

There were even two moose found on one of our golf courses

Anyway, i'm told that fishers can get very nasty, especially if they're hunting in packs. Its almost like everything on the trails is beginning to grow teeth.

livin' large
    too bad you don't have your handgun to deal with the hostility
    it tied the room together man!

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian-clydesdale
    too bad you don't have your handgun to deal with the hostility
    Like many solo riders I carry a small knife in my tool kit...but by the time i got it out of the pack, i'd be toast (a rump roast, more likely)

1946:2006:2066

a lot of baring of fangs lately ...

Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    Was it a cougar or a fisher? Reason for asking is that we've always had coyotes on our trails, but now fishers and the odd bear is beginning to show up...and this is in Wasaga!

There were even two moose found on one of our golf courses

Anyway, i'm told that fishers can get very nasty, especially if they're hunting in packs. Its almost like everything on the trails is beginning to grow teeth.
    particularly in these forums

actually the Fisher is a solitary hunter and would be more interested in your cat or dog.

the cougar once ranged right across Canada and since it is very wary of
    humans it's hard to know exactly how much their range has been reduced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)

http://www.nature.ca/NOTEBOOKS/ENGLISH/cougar.htm

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    F*** who.
    Look Johnny Hair Boy, Between that message title and your last three words you sound like you are fishing for a date. Ditch the foreplay, I am not interested. My wife would not let me keep you anyway.

Now as a local to Barrie, all I would love to see is a news reference to the Cougar. I have no problem accepting bears in the woods around Barrie, and always ride with a slower person for bait. But as much as I would love to see a Cougar in the bush, I firmly believe the only ones would be escaped from "Bear Creek" or the "Muskoka Wildlife Centre"

Michael

Was the Cougar you are talking about the escapee from "Bear Creek Wildlife Sanctuary"?

sock puppet

pfft...

Look Johnny Hair Boy, Between that message title and your last three words you sound like you are fishing for a date. Ditch the foreplay, I am not interested. My wife would not let me keep you
    i had him... he is not worth it... pass...

LBS Manager
    Look Johnny Hair Boy, Between that message title and your last three words you sound like you are fishing for a date. Ditch the foreplay, I am not interested. My wife would not let me keep you anyway.

Now as a local to Barrie, all I would love to see is a news reference to the Cougar. I have no problem accepting bears in the woods around Barrie, and always ride with a slower person for bait. But as much as I would love to see a Cougar in the bush, I firmly believe the only ones would be escaped from "Bear Creek" or the "Muskoka Wildlife Centre"

Michael

Was the Cougar you are talking about the escapee from "Bear Creek Wildlife Sanctuary"?

The story was in the Barrie examiner last year. The way the horse was eaten they said it was definatly a large cat and a cougar is the only cat big enough to bring down a horse (native to north america anyway). They speculate some idiot was keeping it as a pet and got sick of it and let it go. I personaly know people who have seen it luckily I have not. As for you coment about me fishing for a date is that the best you can do?

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FireDog46
    particularly in these forums

actually the Fisher is a solitary hunter and would be more interested in your cat or dog.

the cougar once ranged right across Canada and since it is very wary of
    humans it's hard to know exactly how much their range has been reduced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)

http://www.nature.ca/NOTEBOOKS/ENGLISH/cougar.htm

michael
    yep, sometimes even a helpful post gets flamed, i've noticed...sometimes they get quite personal...be careful in here

Anyway, my contact at MNR tells me that she's had cases of groups of fishers where a couple would distract an older animal, and the others would go after their litter...mostly dogs, racoons, and such

perhaps they're learning the value of teamwork?

never had many in Wasaga, but apparently their numbers are growing

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The story was in the Barrie examiner last year. The way the horse was eaten they said it was definatly a large cat and a cougar is the only cat big enough to bring down a horse (native to north america anyway). They speculate some idiot was keeping it as a pet and got sick of it and let it go. I personaly know people who have seen it luckily I have not. As for you coment about me fishing for a date is that the best you can do?
    I have actually seen a bobcat (or a lynx, I don't know the difference) but not a cougar. There are supposed to be black bears in Oro, but those are still rare

Custom User Title
    this is a reference to the incident Hair Boy was refering to:
    http://www.madhunt.com/pumasinoromedonte.html

this is a cheezy copy of the article but it originally appeared in both the local Barrie and Orillia papers to name a few. (too bad they do not archive more than 7 days of stories)

Now as a local to Barrie...
    don't ya read the local paper Stosh? It was pretty big news.
    Last edited by Bill Payer; 05-10-2006 at 12:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have not ran into a bear while i'm on my ride. But if I do, my plan is to make sure I get a hiker between the bear and myself and I should be ok.

Better yet, if I do ride in bear country, I'll make sure to carry a hiker with me to throw at the bear if and when we do cross paths.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Payer
    this is a reference to the incident Hair Boy was refering to:
    http://www.madhunt.com/pumasinoromedonte.html

this is a cheezy copy of the article but it originally appeared in both the local Barrie and Orillia papers to name a few. (too bad they do not archive more than 7 days of stories)

don't ya read the local paper Stosh? It was pretty big news.
    Ya, uh... I obviously missed that issue of the "New Tecumseth Free Press"
    and the following out of the following papers archive sites :

The Barrie Examiner - Tue, Sep 20, 2005 - 561 words - Cougar claim has bite: farmers: Insist predator killed horse, but MNR official says no proof exists

The Packet & Times (Orillia) - Tue, Sep 20, 2005 - 666 words - Killer cougar feared: Couple demands province take action after horse killed

Funny this big news never made it to the Globe, Star or Sun's Archives.

Oh well, Sorry Bill Payer, You Win.
    Next time I will get off the computer and spend more time riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yes Sorry, Johnny Hair Boy, You win that was the best I could do.

Good luck shooting what ever scares you on the trail.

Stosh

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've love to see a fisher take down a horse . I've seen 3 in my life & never seen them w/ another. I'll ask a friend who has spent close to 60 years in the bush south of Bancroft if he's ever seen multiple fishers @ 1 time.

Last summer a sow & 3 cubs ran across the trail about 50 feet in front of us. I think they more interested in getting to Apsley & its garbage supply than us.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Apperantly there has been couger sightings in north pickering and the rouge valley as well. i remember hearing about it a couple of years ago that a couger escaped from the zoo or something.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Anyway, No, I have not carried anything for Bears.
    I have never given it much thought in Algonquin or Copeland. Mind you between my heavy breathing climbing and brake squeal descending, Bears, Moose and Deer heck everything has plenty of warning of my approach.

Was it the Kelly lake attack?

Cause from the short article on the GSPS site, it was either checking possible food (exploring) or Predatory. It sounds like the Bear was looking and not a chance encounter from what I read into the article.

Stosh

Custom User Title
    LOL

I am with Stosh.. the kinda racket I make wheezing, everything within a mile or so would hear me coming.... sure hope I do not startle Johnny Gun Slinger...

but when fall comes and we are bombing along at dusk or even in the dark I make sure I am in the middle of the pack of riders... I am not sure if a cougar, bear or even rabid raccoon would nab the first or the last in a group, but I am pretty sure they will not snag the guy in the middle. a little tip from me to you all.

LBS Manager
    Don't worry I don't startle easily but I am about the fastest draw around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnevillese
    Apperantly there has been couger sightings in north pickering and the rouge valley as well. i remember hearing about it a couple of years ago that a couger escaped from the zoo or something.
    LOL!

That was an April fools joke the Scarborough Mirror ran. I think they said that a Tiger escaped.

Dec 2005
    I live in Sudbury and I know there are a lot of bears around here from experience. I thought I'd mention a few things that haven't been said yet.

Bears are most dangerous in the spring when they come out of hibernation and are really hungry. There's no berries or nuts for them to eat so they become carniverous. In the summer bears are busy eating berries and nuts trying to put on weight for their hibernation in the winter. So a bear encounter in the spring would be scary, but an encounter in the summer isn't that scary.

If you do come across a bear and it's agressive your best bet is to stand your ground. Make yourself look as big as possible and growl at the bear in a loud, deep tone. It's imprtant that you don't look the bear in the eyes. It will piss the bear off and make it more agitated. Looking over the top of the bear's head will give you the upper hand. Looking at the ground will make the bear feel more confident.

Don't run and climb a tree. Bears are a lot faster than you and they can climb trees to, or they will knock it down to get to you. "Playing dead" won't work either. Black bears are scavengers and they will eat dead animals too if they're hungry enough.

Most bears will charge at you and turn off at the last possible second to try and scare you off. Its best to stay facing the bear backing away from it slowly. I've been charged by a bear while out riding and it was the scariest experience of my life by far. A 75lb bear can kill a full grown adult.

rjp

May 2006
    A lot of good info here - just add a couple of things:

Best bet is avoidance - make lots of noise and, if possible, try to pay attention as to what is farther ahead of you (tough in heavy coverage). I've used bear bells in the past but don't really think they are all that useful. I once came around a corner and nearly hit another cyclist - both of use had bear bells but didn't hear anything until we were on top of each other. If you are really paranoid, the bear whistles probably work the best - shouting is a good alternative.

Travel in larger groups - I used to bike by myself in the back country all the time; I've since decided that it is not such a good practice for a number of reasons.

If you encounter a bear - back away slowly and, when out of site, head the other way. If they do charge, try to make yourself look large (bike over the head) while still slowly backing away. Don't run.

Last resort - I carry bear spray with me in a neoprene holder strapped to my backpack. It's accessible within a couple of seconds and the pack will cushion the impact should I fall (I have done some, unplanned, testing on this point). If you have to use the spray, you are already in a ****load of trouble. From what I hear, it does not work with cougers (either variety).

DaBomb Molotov rider
    Bear mauls mountain biker

Last Updated Sat, 13 May 2006 19:08:42 EDT

A 41-year-old man has undergone surgery after being attacked by a black bear while mountain biking in the Rockies near the town of Banff.

The cyclist, a local man whose name was not released, was on the Hoodoos-Bow River Trail just east of the town when he was attacked around 8:30 p.m. MDT on Friday.

Two other cyclists called for help after finding him bleeding from tear wounds to his chest and right shoulder.

Ian Syme, the chief warden of Banff National Park, said the bear which was young and extremely thin was behaving very unusually.

Confrontations between bears and humans are usually brief and the bear normally leaves the area after an attack, he said.

Instead, Syme said that when another warden and RCMP officers arrived at the scene, they could see a black bear near the man.

The bear was shot when it refused to move away.

A Parks Canada spokeswoman, Marjorie Huculak, said the bear is believed to be the animal that attacked, although it hasn't yet been confirmed.

The man who was mauled was taken to a hospital in Calgary, where he was listed in stable condition.

Bears attacked people close to the same area during two separate incidents in August 2005.

A grizzly that was with its cub attacked a Calgary man on the Bryant Creek Trail.

Four days earlier, a woman was mauled in the head by a grizzly near Lake Minnewanka after unknowingly getting between the animal and its two cubs.

The last fatal attack in Alberta was in June 2005, when a woman was killed near Canmore by a male grizzly.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ar-attack.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    This is the link to the Canoe website's story:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...578446-cp.html
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Members who have read this thread: 0