biking with Child- Mtbr.com
    FeelIng Cranky!

biking with Child

Hey there I am interested in getting my daughter out on the trails with me. Has anyone seen one of these? I saw one at the LBS, but didn't want to pay that kind of price. I'd like to look for a used one, but dont' know what they are called. Anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

Cheers
    Lisa

Evil Jr.
    I always thought that the common name for one of those was "trail-a-bike" but it turns out that's actually a BRAND NAME. I've never used one but a lot of friends have one. I'd say on wide-open trails, they'd be a lot of fun!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

livin' large
    it tied the room together man!

namagomi
    Motorized doping, er sort of.

I've seen these things on paved trails, but it won't work over rocks/roots and they seem a bit tippy.

As far as price or options... sorry!

FeelIng Cranky!
    Thanks for the info guys! yeah I have no intention of using it on difficult, rooty, rocky super steep trails, but i would be fun on easy double track. I'll check out the MEC one. At least now I know what to call it if i troll the used pages!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I just set one up a couple of weeks ago. It's the Trek, and I'm only happy with it because I got it for free from a stranger who had put it out for garbage collection. It's a poor design: wobbles from side to side due to loose tolerances, the high-rider handlebar ergonomics were horrible (I swapped out the bars and put in a regular mountain bike bar) and it doesn't even offer a universal joint in the hinge! Man that's cheap! (sorry I've never liked Trek as a brand) Since then, I have seen the Adams (Trail-a-bike) in action, appears much better for maintaining upright position (and a true universal joint). The MEC product is new for this year, good price point, and worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have been using the Norco Trail-a-bike for about 4 years and it work great. Do not cheap out and buy the Walmart or Canadian tire one because they are built cheap and are not as stable. They are great for pavement, gravel trails and I did some dirt trails and singletrack with it. I actually raced the P2A a few years ago with my daughter on the Trail-a-bike and it was great. I think they usually retail for about $200

FeelIng Cranky!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcr1
    I have been using the Norco Trail-a-bike for about 4 years and it work great. Do not cheap out and buy the Walmart or Canadian tire one because they are built cheap and are not as stable. They are great for pavement, gravel trails and I did some dirt trails and singletrack with it. I actually raced the P2A a few years ago with my daughter on the Trail-a-bike and it was great. I think they usually retail for about $200
    That's the one I saw at the LBS. I'm hesitant to spend the money cause what if she doesn't like it? She is 5 and a half but is tiny. I see these say ages 4-6. is there a weight/height range I chould go by?

mtbr member
    I have the Schwinn model that I bought at Canadian Tire. It has worked great for my two children. It is not light but it has stood up just fine to 3 years of riding. We use it for everything from roads and paths to fairly flat single track. My son and I followed my daughter for the Canal Days Mountain Bike Race kids race last year. It makes the bike a little wobbly. My wife found it difficult to control the bike with the kids on the back but I had no problems. I think having the mass to counteract the forces of the kids moving around make a big difference. I have no problems riding single track including small log overs. My kids would mimic me and stand when I did for trail bumps learning good skills for the future. The little legs really can help with efforts climbing hills too. It doesn't work really well on a 29er the tow bar rubs on the tire when riding over bumps, something to consider. It will be money well spent to be able to do something you love with your kids.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The nice thing with trail-a-bike and chariot is that you can use it for years and still sell it for a good price years later. I got a back rest for my trail-a-bike so my kids can sit more comfortably and I can strap them on so I feel better and safer when at higher speed or if they fall asleep or do not pay attention. Speak to you local bike shop and they will show you how the unit work and all the accessories available for it.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of spending the extra cash and getting the WeeHoo i-Go trailer for my 4 yr old:

https://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/weehoo...railer-review/

Has anyone seen this for sale in the GTA?

FeelIng Cranky!
    Now that I know what to look for I found 3 of them on Kiijiji! I lined one up for Saturday! YAY! thanks for your help guys!

Lisa.

mtbr member
    Another tip...

Get your child a pair of glasses they like to wear and make sure they have them on. I found unless you have full fenders the rear tire will pick up small stones, girt etc... when riding fast or off pavement and it ends up hitting your child.

Members who have read this thread: 0