Biking around Hamilton- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Biking around Hamilton

Hi guys,

I am in the process of purchasing my first mountain bike. I live in Hamilton and will be riding the trails in this area. I live very close to Iroquois Shore Heights (if you are familiar with this stretch).

Just looking for some opinions on a bike to purchase. I am having the most trouble with tire size, such as plus, 29er or standard 650b. I am leaning towards the plus but came across this forum and was interested in feedback from people that ride on these trails.

So if you don't mind please give your thoughts as to a bike to purchase!

Thank you!

mtbr member
    I lived in Hamilton for 15 years and had an intimate knowledge of the local trails.

In my opinion, 29er hardtail is the best weapon for Hamilton. The trails are not technical or rough enough to warrant a full suspension, but there is enough mixed surface you'll end up riding (rail trail, paths, etc), where the 29er and it's rolling ability will excel, but handle the singletrack very well.

If you want ride year around, and didn't care about going fast in the summer, then I'd suggest a plus bike. There is enough foot traffic, especially the Iroquios area where you can ride year around, but the extra volume of a plus bike is greatly appreciated and will get you out more during the winter months. If riding in the winter is not your thing, no need for a plus bike.

So...recommendation. Year around rider, a 27.5+ hardtail bike with an extra 29er wheelset with a 2.2(ish) tire. A very versatile combination. Only a summer rider. Just a 29er hardtail.

Of course if your budget is very high, a high quality FS never goes bad, but is not needed in Hamilton.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 10-02-2017 at 12:44 AM.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'd agree - 27.5 plus hardtail. That's exactly what I ride. FS is not necessary around here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Awesome thanks guys - any suggestions as far as bike brands go?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graol99 View Post
    Awesome thanks guys - any suggestions as far as bike brands go?
    Bike brands are almost like underwear, people have their favorites for various reasons. And for the most part, all underwear do their jobs just as well, slight differences aside.

I'd be more inclined to find shop that you like and trust, and work with them. Unless of course you have a very specific bike in mind (which it doesn't sound like you do).

The Trek Stache is a 29er plus bike and I've know a number of people riding them and really loving them. Beyond that, I find Giant bikes, in general to be the best bang for your buck.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hardtails aren't as hard to choose as FS. More what not to get - you want a Rock Shox or other name brand fork - if it's Suntour, you want one of their high end ones with air. Try to avoid anything but Shimano brakes - although that's not an expensive upgrade. You want at least 10 speed and preferably 11.
    Tubeless ready is a good idea.

mtbr member
    first question should be how much do you intend to spend for a bike. I live in Queen Aberdeen area and ride up the Chedoke trails and into Dundas a lot so unless you are looking to progress to more challenging trails, a bike under $1,000.00 might be ok. If you are thinking of 1500 to 2000 that is a different matter. I don't think it matters a lot if you are starting out whether you ride 26" or 27.5" and don't think you should consider 29". Plus size is great I suppose although I don't own one, is seems to restrict you as far as tires and such. Is there really a need for the larger tire, I don't think so. Let us know what you end up with. And welcome to MTBR.