Bike Show... what deals did you get?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 45 of 45
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: top_ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,000

    Bike Show... what deals did you get?

    2004 Easton Monkeylite SL - 135g. 610mm - $119.00. AMAZING PRICE!
    Easton EA50 Stem - 90mm x 10 degree. $5.00 friggin dollars
    Ritchey COMP Stem - 110mm x 6 degree - $5.00

    All Brand New. I am happy!

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    52
    Kona Dawg Matic $850 + tax

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    89
    CB Mallett M's for $100...with tax!

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    128
    Crank Bros Candy SL - $100 w/ tax
    Fox Sidewinders - $25
    Giro E2 - $60

    EDIT:
    also was considering getting one of the thomson seatpost for $60

  5. #5
    Space for rent...
    Reputation: SSteve F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,012
    IMBA membership $20 (with a free pair of socks).

    Also saw the Thompson.....wrong size.....bummer!
    It's only pain......

  6. #6
    almost there!
    Reputation: AJ541's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    341

    a really good helmet...

    a Louis Garneau t-bone helmet for $35 at the Ontario Cycling Association booth

    the helmet is $40 if you are not an OCA member, for $40 its still a deal.

    this helmet would normally cost at least $80 in the store and it's a good helmet: light, lots of vents, and it fits way better than the one it's replacing.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    114
    I got a pair of Shimano SH-M082 semi-racing SPD shoes for $29+tax at the Duke's booth. They also had a pair of carbon fibre Shimano road shoes for the same price but I don't have a road bike / wrong size.

    Didn't see much other great deals on parts but saw a lot of bargain priced bikes.

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    640
    So how was the Jamis booth this year?
    Was their um, frame, well, built to ride?

  9. #9
    I already rode that
    Reputation: SuperNewb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,632
    There was quite a few nice "rides" at other booths too

  10. #10
    1946:2006:2066
    Reputation: FireDog46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,458

    No good sorry guys...an expensive waste of time...

    THIRTEEN BUCKS to get in. What's it gonna be next year?

    Stuff I was looking for had jacked up discounted prices,
    putting the price where it would be anyway. No deals.

    Just like last years fall sell-off.

    99% of the bikes on sale I would never consider buying.

    Those of you who found deals on what you wanted are lucky.

    michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

  11. #11
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    2004 Easton Monkeylite SL - 135g. 610mm - $119.00. AMAZING PRICE!
    Easton EA50 Stem - 90mm x 10 degree. $5.00 friggin dollars
    Ritchey COMP Stem - 110mm x 6 degree - $5.00

    All Brand New. I am happy!
    Great deals. Maybe it would have been worth checking out. I have never gone before. Oh well, i don't think i "need" anything right now, other than a new axle My bike has been out of action all winter. Have ridden the rigid a couple times, but i don't care as much for winter riding. Hockey kept me busy over the winter.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: langford's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    684
    Ryan Leech's trials demo was well worth seeing, Gary Fisher was there, too, but I didn't see him. I didn't buy anything, but it looked like there was lots of good deals

  13. #13
    TT.
    TT. is online now
    wheeler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    561
    hey whadda jip nothing to see at the Jamis booth


    my buddy did score a vp-free for 2G's out the door:eek, hadley wheelset for 6bills

    did anyone go for any of the caddy bikes
    I Ride, I Know

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,008
    Non HID light sets were plenty cheap, I picked up a couple BLT sets for 50% off. Cheap fox gloves and jersey.

    What does everyone think of the Cadillac bikes? They were offering cheap deals on them at the show but the whole idea of them selling mountain bikes seems kind of stupid to me. Can't say I have ever seen too many Cadillac Escalades at the bike trails, or the type of people who drive them ridng mountain bikes! Maybe it will interest some of the roadies more?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    786
    The quality of deals as well as the quantity were no where on the scale of last year's show. 2005 seemed to lack the vibe I got from 2004 or 2002. Perhaps only even years are worth the price of admission.
    Anyone notice that the dirt track lacked the altitude of previous years as well?

    I feel the show is circling the drain. Perhaps someone will come along and start up a better show.... Anyone?
    this space left intentionally blank

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: top_ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    The quality of deals as well as the quantity were no where on the scale of last year's show. 2005 seemed to lack the vibe I got from 2004 or 2002. Perhaps only even years are worth the price of admission.
    Anyone notice that the dirt track lacked the altitude of previous years as well?

    I feel the show is circling the drain. Perhaps someone will come along and start up a better show.... Anyone?
    I`m with you SSteel. I admit that I did find some good deals but I too felt the show was lack-luster. Rocky Mountain didn`t even have their full line of bikes - and it represents Canada. I saw no titanium, the likes of Litespeed, Moots, or Merlin - did I miss it somehow? Bianchi had a meager booth cramped and pushed to one side.

    Lots of freeride stuff, sunglasses, wheels, helmets and accessories. Don`t the manufacturers take the Toronto show seriously? Isn`t a bike show supposed to "show bikes" or has Toronto become a flee market for last years blow outs.

    I bet this isn`t the case at Eurobike? We need more managerial innovation, cool new products, with more manufacturer involvement.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    121

    Some goods

    The G/F Picked up a pair of Sidi's for $129 tax in, and I picked up some Shimano M-520's for $60 from someone who upgraded their pedals.. Not a great deal, but pretty good.

    The Sidi's were a good deal down from $200 and they fit the GF nice.

    The show lacked the Vibe it had in previous years, it just seemed to be hard to get around and check the wares out.. Mind you last year I bought my bike...

  18. #18
    I already rode that
    Reputation: SuperNewb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,632
    I would say the spring shows of late are just one big early spring blowout where the manufacturers happen to be there with a few lil shows on the side.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    121
    yeah i also got some Shimano S-M082 shoes for $50, pretty good deal, marked down from $170 or so. Also got a bell helmet $60 marked down from $130.

    This is the first year that i have gone, and although it may have been better in previous years, it was well worth the admission (and go bus ticket to get to toronto). The BMX arena was fairly interesting to watch, the dirt jumping was marginally interesting, and ryan leech was pretty amazing.

    I think a key thing is not to try to look for specific products, just any shoes you can find, or any helmet, because the selection isnt really great, and you might have to settle for a different colour then you want if you want the cheap price.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    193
    Long time lurker, first time poster...

    I also agree that I wish there was more 'show' to the show, in regards to I thought the manufacturers did not fully represent there product lines...
    Last edited by shabbasuraj; 03-07-2005 at 01:55 AM.

  21. #21
    1946:2006:2066
    Reputation: FireDog46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,458

    circling the drain for sure...

    I remember when it was held in the Automotive building and it was a treat to attend. All the
    manufacturers were there, showing off their complete product line. This year RM didn't even
    have an ETSX-90, something I would liked to have seen. Really leaves you wondering.

    As I said above, if you found a deal consider yourself lucky.
    I simply find too many retailers trying to unload old stock.

    Wasn't this supposed to be an "International" show?

    michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

  22. #22
    They say I have a problem
    Reputation: rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    460

    Got a road bike...

    My wife and I picked up a matching pair of Specialized Roubiax road bikes for just under $1400...Had been spying the same bike in the fall at shops for close to $2000....Overall the show seemed less eventfull, but the deal on the road bikes made it worthwile...

    Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ddakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    443

    Lots of good deals

    Hey Rich congrats on the new bikes! That's a super deal.

    I know people trash talk this show, but you have to take it for what it is - a place to buy stuff with some neat attractions on the side.
    Here's what I thought was neat:
    -> BMX Metro Jam Comp - I'm not a BMXer, but it was awesome. I watched it for about a half hour while I ate lunch Saturday and it was a blast.
    -> 4X competition. I raced in this and had a great time. It was only $25 for Friday and Saturday which mean it was cheaper to do that then pay regular entry to the show. It was nice to be able to race a bit, then go out and walk the floor a bit etc.
    -> Big names on hand: Brian Lopes, Wade Simmons, Thomas Vanderham, Gary Fisher, Ryan Leech. Not a bad turnout I'd say

    As for deals, if you want a bike you can definitely get a good price. For accessories and components you have to shop around and know your prices. I got a set of $370 carbon fibre Shimano road shoes for $130.

    Yes it would be nice if we had a bigger show, but all the manufacturers save that effort for Expocycle in September, which is the industry show for dealers, media etc. That's where they actually made direct sales to dealers as a result of being there. At a show like this, manufacturers can't actually sell anything, they just have to fork out big bucks to show their products and hope you then go off to a dealer and buy it.

    That's my (long-winded) two cents.

    Dan

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    786
    The Trade Show in the fall (which I also attend) is a complete assemblage of manufacturers with all the wares they can get their hands on for the upcoming year. Unfortunately they are unwilling to let the public in as it is a "lets talk about sales figures" type of show.
    The spring show used to be a small retail area and a large display of this year's bikes. However, as is typical of people everywhere, money became "king". The retailers all gathered in one area started undercutting the other fellow to make a buck, and the show people saw all the money they were making, and all the people rolling in the doors and jacked (every year) the booth prices. Now it is so expensive that most manufacturers are not interested in spending the $ to put in a booth at a show where the people only come to shop at a flea market (which they don't want to be associated with), especially in light of this new-fangled-invention "the internet"; it lets you see all the new stuff created a few hours after it is released to the public (sometimes before).

    I know those deals sound great, but if you develop a rapport with your LBS and shop there as a loyal customer, most of them (if they are any good) willl offer you deals in the same range of discounts, especially if they are last years (or older) products.
    this space left intentionally blank

  25. #25
    1946:2006:2066
    Reputation: FireDog46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,458

    and the LBS will provide free installation...

    for buying locally...

    I was looking for a new fork. Already had an LBS quote for new fork and headset with free
    installation. Nothing at the show came close. Sure, there were some discounts, but not
    enough to forego my LBS's offer. Plus the LBS provides warranty on the installation labour.

    michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

  26. #26
    They say I have a problem
    Reputation: rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Hey Rich congrats on the new bikes! That's a super deal.

    I know people trash talk this show, but you have to take it for what it is - a place to buy stuff with some neat attractions on the side.
    Here's what I thought was neat:
    -> BMX Metro Jam Comp - I'm not a BMXer, but it was awesome. I watched it for about a half hour while I ate lunch Saturday and it was a blast.
    -> 4X competition. I raced in this and had a great time. It was only $25 for Friday and Saturday which mean it was cheaper to do that then pay regular entry to the show. It was nice to be able to race a bit, then go out and walk the floor a bit etc.
    -> Big names on hand: Brian Lopes, Wade Simmons, Thomas Vanderham, Gary Fisher, Ryan Leech. Not a bad turnout I'd say

    As for deals, if you want a bike you can definitely get a good price. For accessories and components you have to shop around and know your prices. I got a set of $370 carbon fibre Shimano road shoes for $130.

    Yes it would be nice if we had a bigger show, but all the manufacturers save that effort for Expocycle in September, which is the industry show for dealers, media etc. That's where they actually made direct sales to dealers as a result of being there. At a show like this, manufacturers can't actually sell anything, they just have to fork out big bucks to show their products and hope you then go off to a dealer and buy it.

    That's my (long-winded) two cents.

    Dan
    Thanks Dan,

    I'm just waiting for the pointing and laughing to begin as we ride by....Not only are they matching bikes, but they are matching fire engine red *laugh*...

    Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    Thanks Dan,

    I'm just waiting for the pointing and laughing to begin as we ride by....Not only are they matching bikes, but they are matching fire engine red *laugh*...

    Rich
    Rich,

    Simon here. No need to feel embarrassed about matching bikes. Christina and I have matching Devinci Chicane Road bikes and ride together all the time. Since we never seemed to get together for mtb rides we should do a road ride together sometime.

    simon

  28. #28
    They say I have a problem
    Reputation: rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguysmiling
    Rich,

    Simon here. No need to feel embarrassed about matching bikes. Christina and I have matching Devinci Chicane Road bikes and ride together all the time. Since we never seemed to get together for mtb rides we should do a road ride together sometime.

    simon
    That sounds like a plan....BTW I was talking to Lora (IMBA) at the show and it sounds like the conservation authority may be receptive to some trail development in the Dundas Valley that is geared towards mountain bikers...In otherwords, no gravel....

    Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

  29. #29
    Economy Stimulator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    That sounds like a plan....BTW I was talking to Lora (IMBA) at the show and it sounds like the conservation authority may be receptive to some trail development in the Dundas Valley that is geared towards mountain bikers...In otherwords, no gravel....

    Rich

    That can't be right?! No gravel? i thought 5 year plan was to coat the whole valley in gravel.

    In other news i bought:

    LG OZZY helmet for $55 +tax
    SPecialized MTB Comp shoes for $85 tax in
    Some socks for $10 a pop

    GF bought
    Shoes
    Helmut
    camelback
    socks

  30. #30

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    88
    Picked up a Bianchi Mtb Bike , full carbon and full xtr for 1500 , probaly the steal of the show

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: top_ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by bike26
    Picked up a Bianchi Mtb Bike , full carbon and full xtr for 1500 , probaly the steal of the show
    Well done... post a pic if you can.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    413

    Cant complain

    It was my first time ever attending a bike show that didnt have motors and bikinis strapped to them ...otherwise I thought it was pretty cool....

    Best deal of the show....Toronto Cycling Map(2004) for FREE!
    but I also picked up;
    Camelbak Rouge $40, Airmax mini pump $10 (negotiated $5 off each...my friend bought one at the same time), few pairs of socks $10 each, Giro brain bucket $30 bucks (50% off)
    new pair of shorts $40 bucks(50% off).....taking Friday off work head downtown for the day and well in to evening...priceless!

    Im guessing Friday it was 'open track time' I hope thses guys were not pro...but it was fun watching the "yewts" on the dirt track...live bloobers!! most of the hits were not eneogh speed to gap the double..heard a few Micheal Jackson impersonations..and the majority of them had a pretty low fitness level, by the time they hit the halfway mark on the track they were visibly gassed..but to their credit they did not give up...the flatland bmx riding we watched for bit, three guys and one girl...and she was holding her own with these guys who were all tryin to impress her..(just think when you were 16....nuff said!!)
    Ryan Leach I watched about five minutes of his show and realized it was so scripted...no disrespect to RL the talent, concentration, balance are awesome but I caught his show a couple weeks ago at the Outdoor and Travel show and it is exactly the same set-up, tricks in the same order ,same commentary...gotta change it up a little..."keep it real"

    Now I have to save for a new bike..thinking going full sus XC......but for now I'll end this little rant..all in all a good day out!
    Cheers

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HubbaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    I know those deals sound great, but if you develop a rapport with your LBS and shop there as a loyal customer, most of them (if they are any good) willl offer you deals in the same range of discounts, especially if they are last years (or older) products.
    Completely agree. In the last year I've found a great lbs that consistently offers me great deals on parts.

    The format of the bike show is very tired and severely needs a facelift, I've got many biking friends from out of town that don't bother coming anymore since it's not worth it.

    I just go because it's a nice bike boost while we're still surrounded by snow. Only thing I picked up was a Specialized P3 dirt lid. Any other parts I was looking for were nowhere to be found.

    Maybe if I timed my builds/upgrades better there would be more for me at the show.


    Clem

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: macming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    My wife and I picked up a matching pair of Specialized Roubiax road bikes for just under $1400...Had been spying the same bike in the fall at shops for close to $2000....Overall the show seemed less eventfull, but the deal on the road bikes made it worthwile...

    Rich
    What model of the Roubiax did you get?? Also, $1400 is that taxes in or out??

    I'm looking at getting a road bike for the summer and the Roubiax is on my short list.

    Thanks

    Ming

  35. #35
    They say I have a problem
    Reputation: rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    What model of the Roubiax did you get?? Also, $1400 is that taxes in or out??

    I'm looking at getting a road bike for the summer and the Roubiax is on my short list.

    Thanks

    Ming
    It's the Roubaix27...105 components all around...With taxes in the price was $1690 or so...
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: macming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    It's the Roubaix27...105 components all around...With taxes in the price was $1690 or so...
    That's a pretty good deal for the bike. I'm looking a the comp model with mostly Ultegra, but the Cannondale R1000 seems like a really sweet deal as well. I'll make up my mind when the time actually comes

  37. #37
    Economy Stimulator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    That's a pretty good deal for the bike. I'm looking a the comp model with mostly Ultegra, but the Cannondale R1000 seems like a really sweet deal as well. I'll make up my mind when the time actually comes
    I picked up an 04 allez comp over the winter, its really nice. Cdale makes a good bike, i'm noticing this years road bikes give a lot more bang for the buck.

  38. #38
    They say I have a problem
    Reputation: rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    That's a pretty good deal for the bike. I'm looking a the comp model with mostly Ultegra, but the Cannondale R1000 seems like a really sweet deal as well. I'll make up my mind when the time actually comes
    We couldn't beat the deal and the 105 components are right on the mark for us because we are newbies at the whole road scene. We know the frame is good, so if we stray from the fold and become roadies we can begin the upgrade game and if we don't then we haven't spent too much money for a good bike..

    Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: macming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    We couldn't beat the deal and the 105 components are right on the mark for us because we are newbies at the whole road scene. We know the frame is good, so if we stray from the fold and become roadies we can begin the upgrade game and if we don't then we haven't spent too much money for a good bike..

    Rich
    From my reserach, the Roubaix is a very sweet frame, comfortable yet very quick.

    Believe it or not, this road bike will also be my first, but I dont like spending too much money upgrading parts on my bike because it is more expensive than buying an entire package.

    105 components are definitely awesome because they are LX/XT level, and it will not let you down unless you want to do serious racing

    Please let me know how to bike rides when you actually take it out!

    Cheers

    Ming

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swerny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,025
    I picked up a Race Face Prodigy stem for $10 from Duke's, a pair of Pearl Izumi shoes for the wife from Sporting Life for $50, and a BG Saddle for her as well for $29 from Cycle Solutions.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    47

    Kona Dawg. Great Price. Which Bike Shop?

    I saw a 2005 Kona Dawg with a sticker price of $2059 (I think). Being the procrastinator that I am, I didn't pick it up.
    Can anybody tell me the name of the shop?
    The shop was located close to the test ride area, about 2 rows in. They had a row of bikes on the floor, and a row of bikes hanging on a rack. The Konas were hanging on the rack near the end. There was quite a few Kona's.

  42. #42

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Chachi
    I saw a 2005 Kona Dawg with a sticker price of $2059 (I think). Being the procrastinator that I am, I didn't pick it up.
    Can anybody tell me the name of the shop?
    The shop was located close to the test ride area, about 2 rows in. They had a row of bikes on the floor, and a row of bikes hanging on a rack. The Konas were hanging on the rack near the end. There was quite a few Kona's.

    I got mine from the guys at Bike Sports (Their shop location is 47 Main St. Newmarket). They had quite a few Kona bikes at the show, might be the one you're thinking of.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    47

    Sweet Deal

    I saw the deal you got. $850 for a Dawg Matic. Good for you. The shop I'm talking about had mostly 2005 Kona's and a couple of Mairin's and some others.

  44. #44
    They say I have a problem
    Reputation: rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    460

    What a ride

    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    Please let me know how to bike rides when you actually take it out!

    Cheers

    Ming
    Hey Ming,

    My wife and I went for our first ride on the new bikes and all I have to say is wow. This is the first time I've ever been on a road bike so the whole experience was new. I could not believe the difference in power transfer. Standing for climbs was dream, you would actually accelerate. The biggest surprise for me was how comfortable the bike was to ride. We picked a typical road route, about 40km's, that we had done in the past with our hardtails, which have 1.9" slicks. The roads are not the smoothest, it's up on top of the escarpment out towards Milgrove. Whenever we've done it on the hardtails it's been a bit of chore and I dreaded doing it on a road bike, thinking it would be even more harsh. To my surpise the ride was less harsh. The bumps are all still there, but the carbon takes the edge off of everything. It's really weird, you have these small super hard tires and no suspension so you think the ride would be worse, but it isn't. The only issue I had was with my hands getting sore. The meaty area at the base of my thumbs was sore because of sitting on the bars. I think I might need a shorter stem because I felt really stretched out. I've flipped the stem over to raise the bars a bit and bring everything back slightly and I plan on moving the saddle forward a touch to see if that closes things up.

    Overall I was quite pleased with the bike and happy I bought...

    Actually it would have been funny to run into other roadies because we were decked out in full mountain biking gear....Camelbak, helmet with visor, shoes, pedals, cold weather clothing and such...We looked like a couple mountain bikers attached to the wrong bikes...

    Me thinks this road riding thing is going to catch on with us...

    Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

  45. #45
    Economy Stimulator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    Hey Ming,

    My wife and I went for our first ride on the new bikes and all I have to say is wow. This is the first time I've ever been on a road bike so the whole experience was new. I could not believe the difference in power transfer. Standing for climbs was dream, you would actually accelerate. The biggest surprise for me was how comfortable the bike was to ride. We picked a typical road route, about 40km's, that we had done in the past with our hardtails, which have 1.9" slicks. The roads are not the smoothest, it's up on top of the escarpment out towards Milgrove. Whenever we've done it on the hardtails it's been a bit of chore and I dreaded doing it on a road bike, thinking it would be even more harsh. To my surpise the ride was less harsh. The bumps are all still there, but the carbon takes the edge off of everything. It's really weird, you have these small super hard tires and no suspension so you think the ride would be worse, but it isn't. The only issue I had was with my hands getting sore. The meaty area at the base of my thumbs was sore because of sitting on the bars. I think I might need a shorter stem because I felt really stretched out. I've flipped the stem over to raise the bars a bit and bring everything back slightly and I plan on moving the saddle forward a touch to see if that closes things up.

    Overall I was quite pleased with the bike and happy I bought...

    Actually it would have been funny to run into other roadies because we were decked out in full mountain biking gear....Camelbak, helmet with visor, shoes, pedals, cold weather clothing and such...We looked like a couple mountain bikers attached to the wrong bikes...

    Me thinks this road riding thing is going to catch on with us...

    Rich
    I rode in full mountain gear all last year! its awesome, teachs the vet roadies a little thing called humility! (24" quads also help with the teaching!)

Similar Threads

  1. Mountain bike jargon/ lingo
    By bstguitarist in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 12:02 PM
  2. Forks, Frames and Five Hundred Dollars.
    By AdamOn6thStreet in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 10:10 PM
  3. Lance's Austin "29er" revealed
    By ncj01 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 08:14 PM
  4. Can i get any good deals at the toronto bike show this fall???
    By Ruskyi121 in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-14-2004, 08:17 PM
  5. Does the toronto bike show have good deals???
    By finchy in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 01:23 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.