the bike box (in guelph) a good idea??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

the bike box (in guelph) a good idea??

the bike box is mentiioned in another thread, but I kind of wonder if we are going to see them anywhere.

http://guelph.ca/living.cfm?itemid=79367&smocid=2562

Evil Jr.
    That video makes it sound like they already have them in Guelph.

I like 'em. It's basically a paint-by-numbers for what an experienced cyclist already does in general but it would by really nice at the sort of really busy intersections I tend to avoid.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    A bike box can prevent collisions between drivers and cyclists at an intersection.
    The principle behind this statement still escapes me, and they don't actually say what particular pattern of accident will be alleviated. There's a number of patterns that I commonly observe while riding, but the only one I can match with the bike box is the beginner cyclist proceeding straight ahead on the green, but wobbling way left before getting up to speed and back onto a straight line to clear the intersection. Yet, there is no mention of this pattern at all. Meanwhile, I can see how the box preferentially vaults a cyclist to the front of the line if preparing a left turn at a red, which is nice, but again I don't recognize a pattern being addressed here... isn't it the oncoming traffic that takes out the cyclist?

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    Meanwhile, I can see how the box preferentially vaults a cyclist to the front of the line if preparing a left turn at a red, which is nice, but again I don't recognize a pattern being addressed here... isn't it the oncoming traffic that takes out the cyclist?
    I think this is the primary benefit. It can be challenging to get into a left turn lane when there's traffic. I could easily see being clipped from behind.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The left turn thing makes sense but I'm still not entirely sure it really fixes an existing problem. The only people I see using the left turn lane for left turns are bicycle couriers and other such people who are comfortable dealing with heavy traffic, normal people will continue through the intersection if the light's green then go left or use the crosswalks when it's red to complete a left turn. I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea for regular cyclists to make left turns through oncoming traffic instead of using the crosswalks, it's faster but I don't think it's any safer.

mtbr member
    i pass....
    Attached Images Attached Images