Best Way to Start Racing in Ontario???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best Way to Start Racing in Ontario???

I'm 22 and I consider myself a fairly strong rider. Since the purchase of my new bike, I want to enter a few races this season. Partly to give me a reason to do more training, partly to drop my body fat a little lower and actually have a 6 pack. I read through the thread "What is your racing outlook this year" and visited the chicoracing site for some information.

The 8-hour relays and 24 hour events interest me, but the entry fee is ridiculous! Also, buying a license from the OCA is also fairly expensive.

I was thinking of doing the first Try-an-Ocup Men at Manifest on May 1st ($32 + $5 citizen permit), and see how it goes.

If racing goes well, I may cough up the money for the 8-hour racing, and maybe the 24 hour in august.

How does sound to everyone? Any suggestions???

THanks

Ming

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    I'm 22 and I consider myself a fairly strong rider. Since the purchase of my new bike, I want to enter a few races this season. Partly to give me a reason to do more training, partly to drop my body fat a little lower and actually have a 6 pack. I read through the thread "What is your racing outlook this year" and visited the chicoracing site for some information.

The 8-hour relays and 24 hour events interest me, but the entry fee is ridiculous! Also, buying a license from the OCA is also fairly expensive.

I was thinking of doing the first Try-an-Ocup Men at Manifest on May 1st ($32 + $5 citizen permit), and see how it goes.

If racing goes well, I may cough up the money for the 8-hour racing, and maybe the 24 hour in august.

THanks

Ming
    Talk to Peiriks, they are sponsoring the Paris to Ancaster race, perhaps they would be willing to pony up your entry fee in exchange for some shameless advertising (read: riding topless with a peireks logo tattooed across your shoulderblades). Or you could find a team to ride with, for a membership fee they would normally cover the cost of all you entries to races the team chooses to participate in. Yes race licenses are expensive, no i have never bought one, yes mountain biking is expensive. The thing you have to realize with 24 hour events is that they are also paying for you camping for the weekend and it is longer that a 2 hour race. We should ride sometime when the weather cooperates.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teebor76xc
    Talk to Peiriks, they are sponsoring the Paris to Ancaster race, perhaps they would be willing to pony up your entry fee in exchange for some shameless advertising (read: riding topless with a peireks logo tattooed across your shoulderblades). Or you could find a team to ride with, for a membership fee they would normally cover the cost of all you entries to races the team chooses to participate in. Yes race licenses are expensive, no i have never bought one, yes mountain biking is expensive. The thing you have to realize with 24 hour events is that they are also paying for you camping for the weekend and it is longer that a 2 hour race. We should ride sometime when the weather cooperates.

Heheh...Good old Pierik's. I actually designed their website for them, and in exchange, I get parts at cost. I think I will be wearing Pierik's Jersey and shorts at all the races I go to. In addition, I'm also doing a marketing audit for the store I'll speak to Elanie about sponsorship, even if I get their jersey and shorts for free, it is still a big bonus to me.

Yeah, when the weather gets good, and when school is over, we definitely should go out riding

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    Heheh...Good old Pierik's. I actually designed their website for them, and in exchange, I get parts at cost. I think I will be wearing Pierik's Jersey and shorts at all the races I go to. In addition, I'm also doing a marketing audit for the store I'll speak to Elanie about sponsorship, even if I get their jersey and shorts for free, it is still a big bonus to me.

Yeah, when the weather gets good, and when school is over, we definitely should go out riding

School! yikes, i'm glad i got that over and done with. Perhaps you could get peiriks to get new jerseys designed as i think the old ones don't look great(personal opinion), i would wear it if it was free though. I didn't know peiriks marketed anything. I think they have too few road bikes, too few high end XC race machines and not enought kevlar beaded tires. Also, i wish they would carry Castelli shorts, my a$$ deserves only the best italian spandex. Oh and they have far too many old people bikes, don't they know all the old people are moving out of westdale?

almost there!

Hamilton is a great place to ride and train...

I used to live in Hamilton and loved riding the along the escarpment mainly on the roads but there are some good off roads sections in Dundas Valley, Waterdown and on the Bruce Trail near Chedoke Golf course. The guys at Piereks should have all the flyers on races in Ontario including these races, unfortunately some of these are events are really far for you but they are worth it if you do the longer events:

http://www.alpharacing.ca/

http://www.bikenxs.com/

http://www.reach.net/~bbc/pauls/

Pauls Dirty Enduro at Ganaraska is a lot of fun and if you are in phenomenol shape you might want to do the 100km distance (although it's never been done in under 6:30 hours).

Once you've raced a few times you will realize how hard it is and what a challenge it is to do well. But the effort and challenge is well worth it.

mtbr member
    School! yikes, i'm glad i got that over and done with. Perhaps you could get peiriks to get new jerseys designed as i think the old ones don't look great(personal opinion), i would wear it if it was free though. I didn't know peiriks marketed anything. I think they have too few road bikes, too few high end XC race machines and not enought kevlar beaded tires. Also, i wish they would carry Castelli shorts, my a$$ deserves only the best italian spandex. Oh and they have far too many old people bikes, don't they know all the old people are moving out of westdale?
    Well, University really isn't that bad I need to get my Bachlors so I can keep up my expensive hobbies. No, I dont do drugs

The blue jerseys offered Pieriks aren't that bad looking IMO. The report is actually for my marketing class, and they do have advertising during the busy times of the year. I think they are going to offer more high end bikes from now on, but compared to Brent Cycle, they do not have nearly as good of a selection.

Believe it or not, the old people bikes are the #1 seller at Pieriks, counting for almost 40% of the bike sales!!!!

I can't wait until the weather gets warmer, and the trails become rideable.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ541
    I used to live in Hamilton and loved riding the along the escarpment mainly on the roads but there are some good off roads sections in Dundas Valley, Waterdown and on the Bruce Trail near Chedoke Golf course. The guys at Piereks should have all the flyers on races in Ontario including these races, unfortunately some of these are events are really far for you but they are worth it if you do the longer events:

http://www.alpharacing.ca/

http://www.bikenxs.com/

http://www.reach.net/~bbc/pauls/

Pauls Dirty Enduro at Ganaraska is a lot of fun and if you are in phenomenol shape you might want to do the 100km distance (although it's never been done in under 6:30 hours).

Once you've raced a few times you will realize how hard it is and what a challenge it is to do well. But the effort and challenge is well worth it.

Yeah, we do have a lot of fun trails around here. Last year, we went into TO and rode the Don, that was a LOT of fun. This year, I'm planning on a bike trip out to Moab, Utah after my exams in April. Hopefully it'll turn out well.

I will check the websites when I get home since i'm at school studying for my mid-terms next week and yes, I know racing is a lot of hard work, but it will improve my determination, and fitness levels. Racing will also justify me spending more money on my bike

More than a little slow

Weeknight race series

Why not look around for a weeknight race series to get into? The entry fees tend to be a lot less than weekend races (although I'm not sure what the licencing requirements are). The distances are shorter so there is not the time commitment of weekend races and you get to race against the same people from week to week, which not only means you get to meet some local riders but you get to study the riding techniques of some good fast riders over an extended period of time. It's all good.
    Cheers, Dave

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    Well, University really isn't that bad I need to get my Bachlors so I can keep up my expensive hobbies. No, I dont do drugs

The blue jerseys offered Pieriks aren't that bad looking IMO. The report is actually for my marketing class, and they do have advertising during the busy times of the year. I think they are going to offer more high end bikes from now on, but compared to Brent Cycle, they do not have nearly as good of a selection.

Believe it or not, the old people bikes are the #1 seller at Pieriks, counting for almost 40% of the bike sales!!!!

I can't wait until the weather gets warmer, and the trails become rideable.....
    I was in there on saturday looking for (road shoes and pedals - please forgive me I am going to ride from Vancouver to Regina in june) and the jerseys aren't as bad as i remembered. I think Peiriks cycle needs start giving back to its community. I think freewheel(although extreme bike snobs) have a great setup. They have good bikes, great gear, they do weekly rides(womens only, road, Xc, family/social, freeride) in the winter they offer spinning, and bike maintainance courses. They also have women's learn to Mtb courses. They have a great website. My only objection is that i think the staff are shite! They are all high on themselves. Just my $0.02

mtbr member
    I was in there on saturday looking for (road shoes and pedals - please forgive me I am going to ride from Vancouver to Regina in june) and the jerseys aren't as bad as i remembered. I think Peiriks cycle needs start giving back to its community. I think freewheel(although extreme bike snobs) have a great setup. They have good bikes, great gear, they do weekly rides(womens only, road, Xc, family/social, freeride) in the winter they offer spinning, and bike maintainance courses. They also have women's learn to Mtb courses. They have a great website. My only objection is that i think the staff are shite! They are all high on themselves. Just my $0.02

Hahaha Dont get me started on spin cycle. I was a royla customer of Spin Cycle back in Highschool, and everyone at Spin disliked Vince with a passion. I remember we used to sit around Spin Cycle ripping on Vince how he couldn't make up the firepit on his 4000 bike.

Really Vince isn't a bad guy, but he is just really "proud" of himself....

They say I have a problem
    Hahaha Dont get me started on spin cycle. I was a royla customer of Spin Cycle back in Highschool, and everyone at Spin disliked Vince with a passion. I remember we used to sit around Spin Cycle ripping on Vince how he couldn't make up the firepit on his 4000 bike.

Really Vince isn't a bad guy, but he is just really "proud" of himself....
    Vince not a bad guy...He's yelled at my wife when she has asked about stuff....Basically treating her like crap...Definitely not nice...He's also basically told her that some of our stuff is crap...

We deal with Freewheel because we are in Dundas and it's the closest one to us...If everyone there was like Vince we'd never go back, but most of the employees are ok to deal with...It's just Vince that's a royal pain...

BTW all the Hamilton people should get together this summer for some road and mountain rides...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

almost there!

Upset I'll third the bad vibes at Freewheel...

When I was living in Hamilton I went to Freewheel a few times and I always had that condescending vibe from Vince and his staff almost every time I went there.

I get the impression that they would only treat you well if you bought a top of the line bike which I wasn't able to afford back then. In other words you had to buy their respect.

Luckily the cycling club/store I belong to now is more down to earth and we don't treat people according to how good their bike is or how fat their wallet is.

mtbr member

THanks

Ming

Ming, I have ridden many Chicoracing events in the past few years. Yes, they aren't the cheapest. But what works best is to go the club team event and get yourself 6-10 serious riders (24 hrs) and go out and have a great weekend. If most of you are reasonably consistent riders, then you will get a minimum of two laps, or three to four in. The timing systems is top notch and the events are extremely well done. I have never questioned the money spent following a race experience with Chico. They really do a top notch job. Not to mention the sense of community you get with fellow participants.

I have raced the 24 hours of Summer Solstice, Hot August Nights (24 hrs), a couple of Epics, and the Tuesday night series for the past few years. I have to say, you get what you pay for. You get a t-shirt (24 hrs, Epic), a great experience of riding with some buds through the night, and an overall decent bang for the buck. I guess I am not sure what you consider expensive. I also haven't mentioned that the riding at Albion Hills has a lot to offer. Quite fast single track and not overly technical with the exception of some tight areas and switchbacks.

Not sure if this helps you much, but just my thoughts...

Meister

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think Peiriks cycle needs start giving back to its community. I think freewheel(although extreme bike snobs) have a great setup. They have good bikes, great gear, they do weekly rides(womens only, road, Xc, family/social, freeride) in the winter they offer spinning, and bike maintainance courses. They also have women's learn to Mtb courses. They have a great website. My only objection is that i think the staff are shite! They are all high on themselves. Just my $0.02
    Pierik's does run groups rides as well and is also currently supporting at least 3 local racing teams that range from serious to semi-serious to 'fun-times had by all'. They also provide tech support for the Paris to Ancaster Race.

Our DH team is working with Pierik's, but I wouldn't hesitate to go to Vince at Freewheel if I needed a part that Pierik's couldn't get for me. Ever since the closing of Spin Cycle back in the day (I used to ride with their group on Wed.) I've been getting a better vibe from Freewheel. I rode a bit with Vince too at Blue and he's a pretty good guy.

As for the racing thing, I am a Grad Student at Mac who races both XC and DH. If you want to hook up for some local rides drop me an email (simon at steelcityracing.ca). Also if you want to get involved in racing you should start with the All-weather time-trial at Hilton Falls in April. No license needed and it will give you a taste off pushing yourself. Definitely try a couple O-cup races: I would recommend Mansfield and Albion Hills as those two tracks are great fun.

Good to see a core group of riders from Hamilton here.

I've got a yahoo club set up to post rides and such in the Hamilton area. Please join up so we can have a good Hamilton-based ride post for the spring time.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/harp_mtb/

Simon

aka fatguysmiling

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

... and if we just ... Shamelss promotion

There are group rides, news and events available here The Ride. It is a site for MTBers by MTBers.
    Since I'm based out of Hamilton, I guess it is also. We should definitely have a Steel-town ride come spring thaw.
    Soooo tired of snow.
    this space left intentionally blank

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    come spring thaw.
    Soooo tired of snow�.
    ya, i would like to start riding my bike again too. I have had enough of the sub zero temperatures. However, as soo as things do thaw, all we have here is mud until sometime in june it seems. *sigh*
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    Vince not a bad guy...He's yelled at my wife when she has asked about stuff....Basically treating her like crap...Definitely not nice...He's also basically told her that some of our stuff is crap...

We deal with Freewheel because we are in Dundas and it's the closest one to us...If everyone there was like Vince we'd never go back, but most of the employees are ok to deal with...It's just Vince that's a royal pain...

BTW all the Hamilton people should get together this summer for some road and mountain rides...

Rich
    Yeah Freewheel really isn't that bad. It's just I was a royal Spin Cycle customer, and had great relationship with both Scott and Mark. It's kinda hard to like their direct competitor.

Believe it or not, Freewheel has an estimated sale of $2.5M to $5 M per year, making it the biggest bike store in the Hamilton area.

We should get together for a ride when the weather permits. I can't wait until I take my Rocky out again I've been riding it around my basement, and that makes me feel like a Nascar driver, making too many left turns

Cheers

Ming

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Ming, I have ridden many Chicoracing events in the past few years. Yes, they aren't the cheapest. But what works best is to go the club team event and get yourself 6-10 serious riders (24 hrs) and go out and have a great weekend. If most of you are reasonably consistent riders, then you will get a minimum of two laps, or three to four in. The timing systems is top notch and the events are extremely well done. I have never questioned the money spent following a race experience with Chico. They really do a top notch job. Not to mention the sense of community you get with fellow participants.

I have raced the 24 hours of Summer Solstice, Hot August Nights (24 hrs), a couple of Epics, and the Tuesday night series for the past few years. I have to say, you get what you pay for. You get a t-shirt (24 hrs, Epic), a great experience of riding with some buds through the night, and an overall decent bang for the buck. I guess I am not sure what you consider expensive. I also haven't mentioned that the riding at Albion Hills has a lot to offer. Quite fast single track and not overly technical with the exception of some tight areas and switchbacks.

Not sure if this helps you much, but just my thoughts...

Meister
    IT's always nice to hear from someone with personal experience with the events. I think I will start with the Try an O-Cup on May 1st and see how much I like racing. The time trial at Hilton Falls is during a really bad time for me (university exams).

I will definitely be making many trips to Kelso, Albion Hills and Hardwood Hills this summer

Cheers

Ming

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguysmiling
    Pierik's does run groups rides as well and is also currently supporting at least 3 local racing teams that range from serious to semi-serious to 'fun-times had by all'. They also provide tech support for the Paris to Ancaster Race.

Our DH team is working with Pierik's, but I wouldn't hesitate to go to Vince at Freewheel if I needed a part that Pierik's couldn't get for me. Ever since the closing of Spin Cycle back in the day (I used to ride with their group on Wed.) I've been getting a better vibe from Freewheel. I rode a bit with Vince too at Blue and he's a pretty good guy.

As for the racing thing, I am a Grad Student at Mac who races both XC and DH. If you want to hook up for some local rides drop me an email (simon at steelcityracing.ca). Also if you want to get involved in racing you should start with the All-weather time-trial at Hilton Falls in April. No license needed and it will give you a taste off pushing yourself. Definitely try a couple O-cup races: I would recommend Mansfield and Albion Hills as those two tracks are great fun.

Good to see a core group of riders from Hamilton here.

I've got a yahoo club set up to post rides and such in the Hamilton area. Please join up so we can have a good Hamilton-based ride post for the spring time.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/harp_mtb/

Simon

aka fatguysmiling
    Yeah, I'm friends with John Varets, and he told me about his sponsoship deal with Pieriks. Besides not having group rides (lack of time), I think Pieriks is really giving back to the community by sponsorsing various teams and donating to many funds.

I'll take a look at the Yahoo group in a few days, after the midterm madness

Thanks

PS...Are you a member of steelcityracing??? I'm doing a marketing audit for Pieriks and the recommended solution may your club may invovle your club

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, I'm friends with John Varets, and he told me about his sponsoship deal with Pieriks. Besides not having group rides (lack of time), I think Pieriks is really giving back to the community by sponsorsing various teams and donating to many funds.

I'll take a look at the Yahoo group in a few days, after the midterm madness

Thanks

PS...Are you a member of steelcityracing??? I'm doing a marketing audit for Pieriks and the recommended solution may your club may invovle your club

I am actually the 'Manager' for Steelcityracing. We had the idea last season when we all realized that we all hung out and raced together and could probably benefit from becoming a team and gaining sponsorship support that way. Part of our mandate is to get the 'groms' (13-16 y.o.'s) stoked on downhill mountain biking. If we can get them to hold their interest through highschool our scene will continue to grow. We would also like to help anyone who is interested in racing downhill (and even XC) through the race day preparation (bike, mental and physical) and other barriers to racing (intimidation...).

Definitely check out our yahoo club for Hamilton Ride Posts and email me (simon at steelcityracing.ca) if you have any questions about the team and its relationship with Pierik's.

Simon

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    This is a very interesting thread. I too am interested in possibly riding with others in a competitive setting. I have been XC riding since I was a teen and have always wondered if it was possible to ride competively in a sponsered team setting.

I live along the Scarborough-Pickering border, and would love to ride with other or hear from others who have succeeded in landing any form of sponsorship. (regardless of how large or small the sponsorship/committment)

I also agree that some of the entrance events are somewhat pricey, but hey I guess that can easily justified considering how much we all spend on our 'bicycles'...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I personally avoid freewheel for all but little parts for my bike because if I can't ride it it can be hard to get to pieriks. The staff is snobby. I remember Vince making fun of my moms crooked valve stems. He shut up after he was informed that it was his shop that installed the tires and that the bike had been purchased there. Pieriks is great in terms of service helpfullnes ect. When I take the bike I bought there in broken they will fix it at minimal cost or just sell me the part and explain how to install it so I can avoid leaving my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm sure 3 years later they'll appreciate that tidbit of advice
    =)
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by bbgobie
    I'm sure 3 years later they'll appreciate that tidbit of advice
    =)
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    I was surprised to see this thread at the top But it's kind of refreshing to see it pretty much right after the Hot August Nights. I think it was my 3rd year in a row doing both 24 hours

I still don't like freewheel, and I agree about Vince.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Good to know you got into the racing and have been enjoying it!
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Is there any life in that yahoo group still? And if not, anybody think its a good idea to set up a facebook group or something to organize group rides around Hamilton?

ps. To O.P how have you found racing so far?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by beereppc
    anybody think its a good idea to set up a facebook group ... to organize group rides around Hamilton?
    There already is one. It is called MOUNTAIN BIKE ONTARIO. It does not look like it gets used much.