Best tires for GTA riding?- Mtbr.com

May 2006

Best tires for GTA riding?

I ride a Giant NRS. Most of my riding takes place in the GTA (Kelso, Albion, Hardwood etc.) any recommendations on the best replacement tires?

What's been working for you?

Is it worth it to go tubeless? I seem to remember a ratio of 1lb unsprung weight equaling 10 lbs of sprung wieght. Anyone know if that ratio is correct?

I already rode that
    Spec roll x pro's, Panaracer Fire XC's.
    Some ppl say its worth it to go tubeless and those that usually do go tubeless and like the lower pressure they can run and usually ran higher pressure before and never really tried going a bit lower. If you go tubeless I would toss in some goop like stans/dt's or homemade style just for added protection.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

rad to the power of sick
    I run tubeless and I find the tire feels alot more supple over rocks and roots. Definitely feels better than a tubed tire. But I dont think the cost is justified. If you flat a tubeless tire, installing a tube and remounting the tire can be reason to give up cycling.

My next set of tires are Maxxis Crossmarks... Ill post here when i try em out.

But the other safe bets are:

Continental Explorers
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro
    Bontrager ACX
    Michelin XCR dry.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

LBS Manager

Tubless is the only way to go

I have Kenda Nevegals they are the best tire I have found. Most of my riding is done at Albion but I do ride Hard wood and 3 stages sometimes. The stans converted Nevegal not the UST one feels incredible in the turns and on amost any surface. I perfer the Sticky compound to the dual compound that I am using now.

sock puppet

any flavour of

Quote Originally Posted by helvetica
    I ride a Giant NRS. Most of my riding takes place in the GTA (Kelso, Albion, Hardwood etc.) any recommendations on the best replacement tires?

What's been working for you?

Is it worth it to go tubeless? I seem to remember a ratio of 1lb unsprung weight equaling 10 lbs of sprung wieght. Anyone know if that ratio is correct?
    Kenda Nevegal will certainly fit your bill...

other worthy candidates:

conti explorers
    kenda kharisma / karma
    hutch spider
    schwalbe racing ralph

go tubeless - add some stan's and forget about the tires...

almost there!
    these are my favourite tires:

conti explorers - good all round, all weather tire

conti vertical - a good winter tire that I ran tubeless at 20 psi, awesome traction in the snow
    also a great do everything tire with serious traction

bontrager revolt x "tubeless ready" - a fast dry condition tire, if you get the "tubeless ready" version, again you can drop the pressure to 25 psi and race it like that, the lower the pressure the better the traction, yet it still rolls fast (make sure you get a sealant with these TR tires - Stans or Bontrager stuff)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I like the IRC Serac in the hardpack.

Members who have read this thread: 0