• 09-09-2006
    mtbmeister
    Best Sales Call Ever-The Brant Tract
    :thumbsup: Well, I had to post this following my day yesterday. I never thought it would happen, but I found myself strapping my bike to the roof of the car in the morning to do a sales call. And I wasn't just playing hookie to go for a ride, which has also happened on occasion.

A customer of mine actually suggested we go for a ride on the Brant Tract near his office in Walkerton. He is not a regular biker, but I certainly took him up on it after seeing some pics on another post here on mtbr...I am glad I did. First off, it was a beautiful day. Secondly, this is some of the nicest singletrack trails I have ridden in a long, long, time. Superbly maintained and marked (Kudos to the workers) with some great board warks over creeks and speedy sections. I didn't find it technically difficult at all, but we were going quite a bit slower than my normal pace. I will be going back to sample it at normal speed. I had to take it easy on my customer since he was riding a full rigid, Canadian Tire special.

The scenery is great, with the types trees constantly changing. Also, there was evidence of bear activity with the ground having been disturbed in a few areas where they must have been digging for bugs and grubs. Also, we didn't see anyone else, save for an ominous truck parked at one of the road crossing. He must have been out in the woods checking his grow op status...

Long story short, I got to combine business with my favourite pleasure yesterday, and luckily will be able to do so again before season's end. And if you have the opportunity to visit the Brant Tract, I highly recommend it. If you like singletrack, flowing trails, and good scenery to boot, it's a ride worth trying out.

Neil
  • 09-12-2006
    1440Brad
    [QUOTE=mtbmeister]:thumbsup: Well, I had to post this following my day yesterday. I never thought it would happen, but I found myself

This sounds like a good opening to a letter from one of those "Men's Magazines".:thumbsup:

And I wasn't just playing hookie to go for a ride, which has also happened on occasion.

I thought I was the only one who did that.;)

Hey...I'm a sales rep!!!
    I have customers in Walkerton!!!
    None of my customers ride.:madman:
    Hey Neil, Can I have your customer?
  • 09-13-2006
    mtbmeister
    [QUOTE=1440Brad]
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    :thumbsup: Well, I had to post this following my day yesterday. I never thought it would happen, but I found myself

This sounds like a good opening to a letter from one of those "Men's Magazines".:thumbsup:

And I wasn't just playing hookie to go for a ride, which has also happened on occasion.

I thought I was the only one who did that.;)

Hey...I'm a sales rep!!!
    I have customers in Walkerton!!!
    None of my customers ride.:madman:
    Hey Neil, Can I have your customer?

You are definitely not the only one to do that...:D It's the only way I would ride as often as I do...If you have customers in Walkerton, you should consider putting your bike in the car and sliding over to the Brant Tract.

Well, my customer rides, but I have to tone it down substantially. He has just gotten into it, which good. It has made for good relationship building outside of the normal business discussion. Which as you know is crucial to the long term relations. You could have them as a customer depending on what business you are in...

N.:thumbsup:
  • 09-13-2006
    g-t-
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    :thumbsup: Well, I had to post this following my day yesterday. I never thought it would happen, but I found myself strapping my bike to the roof of the car in the morning to do a sales call. And I wasn't just playing hookie to go for a ride, which has also happened on occasion.

A customer of mine actually suggested we go for a ride on the Brant Tract near his office in Walkerton. He is not a regular biker, but I certainly took him up on it after seeing some pics on another post here on mtbr...I am glad I did. First off, it was a beautiful day. Secondly, this is some of the nicest singletrack trails I have ridden in a long, long, time. Superbly maintained and marked (Kudos to the workers) with some great board warks over creeks and speedy sections. I didn't find it technically difficult at all, but we were going quite a bit slower than my normal pace. I will be going back to sample it at normal speed. I had to take it easy on my customer since he was riding a full rigid, Canadian Tire special.

The scenery is great, with the types trees constantly changing. Also, there was evidence of bear activity with the ground having been disturbed in a few areas where they must have been digging for bugs and grubs. Also, we didn't see anyone else, save for an ominous truck parked at one of the road crossing. He must have been out in the woods checking his grow op status...

Long story short, I got to combine business with my favourite pleasure yesterday, and luckily will be able to do so again before season's end. And if you have the opportunity to visit the Brant Tract, I highly recommend it. If you like singletrack, flowing trails, and good scenery to boot, it's a ride worth trying out.

Neil

how much trail can you ride there ? ( kms ) is it hilly ? thanks
  • 09-13-2006
    ThisIsMyName
    There is 20 km of singletrack and 10 km of doubletrack. The terrain is fairly flat as the tract is in rolling farm hill country.

See thread approximately halfway down this page for pictures.
  • 09-13-2006
    mtbmeister
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisIsMyName
    There is 20 km of singletrack and 10 km of doubletrack. The terrain is fairly flat as the tract is in rolling farm hill country.

I would say that yes it is fairly flat. There are no long climbs, thats for sure. What I liked about it most is that it is fast single track and very scenic. If you like singletrack, you will certain like this place. I only rode about half of it and will be going back to cover some more of it...
  • 09-13-2006
    mtbmeister
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisIsMyName

I would say that yes it is fairly flat but has lots of small rolling hills. There are no long climbs, thats for sure. What I liked about it most is that it is fast single track and very scenic. If you like singletrack, you will certain like this place. I only rode about half of it and will be going back to cover some more of it...
  • 09-14-2006
    1440Brad
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. The next time I am heading to Walkerton, I will pack my gear.:D
    Now all I have to do is convince one of my customers to take up mountain biking.
  • 09-23-2006
    jmurray
    Bruce County
    I just rode Brant yesterday. I did the "local's loop" backwards and it took me about 2 hours. That makes it roughly 25-30km (no cycle computer). And it was all single track. Very fast, very flowy. Only one advanced section though. It is all very similar to other Southern Ontario trails. At times I felt like I might have been in the Don, Ravenshoe, Durham Forest...

I would say it is a pretty far drive just to ride at Brant, but if you're going to be in the area anyway it is a must ride. You could combine it with some other locations like the Carrick Tract, Bruce MTB Advanture Park (Wiarton, 1hr N), maybe some stuff in Collingwood, Blue Mountain, and make it a 3 day road trip.