Best Riding Spots- Mtbr.com

Feb 2006

Best Riding Spots

I know that there are many threads of some different trails, but I would like to know what are the highest quality trails in Southern Ontario, and the best ones to ride. They can be your personal favourite or just best maintained, any input would be good. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trails, local and around..

Try this site,

very usefull info
    www.dirtworld.com
    go to the riding areas(trails)
    click usa or canada
    then state or province
    Hope this helps

Vern

Misfit Psycles
    i going to give the most professional and best maintained to hardwood hills. you get what you pay for, like it or not.
    best overall is albion.

both suit my riding style the best, lordy knows, its all about me.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Mar 2004

broken

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon VernDog
    Try this site,

very usefull info
    www.dirtworld.com
    go to the riding areas(trails)
    click usa or canada
    then state or province
    Hope this helps

Vern
    None of the Canadian links work.

mtbr member

Best trails

Some of the best trails are the ones that few people know about, fewer people ride, are fast, flowy, technical, have challenging steeps, and couragous downs, twisty bits and open flats, amazing views and a great reward (usually in a 375ml bottle)

But the best trail is the one I have not yet ridden ...

And when I do, I wont be telling you and you and you and you etc etc where it is!

I already rode that
    My fav is the one thats only a 10 min bike ride to the trail. Which in my case is the Don

Theres a few quality trails around though but it all depends on what type of terrain you like best.

Feb 2006
    Has anybody ever ridden at Blue Mountain. Is it just all downhill there or is there some not so steep hills with fast singletrack?

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackDemon
    Has anybody ever ridden at Blue Mountain. Is it just all downhill there or is there some not so steep hills with fast singletrack?
    D) all of the above.

Winston the bike guy
    Here's my favourites in no particular order
    - Puslinch Conservation area, Cambridge (tight with lots of short steep climbs)
    - The Hydro Cut, Kitchener (one word: woopdeedoo)
    - Waterdown ( Huge area up and down the escarpment with lots of stunts)
    - Hilton falls/Kelso ( Do all the trails at both for your admission fee for a really epic ride and lots of rocks. I'm cheap so I like to get as much riding as possible if I'm going to pay)
    - Mansfield/Dufferin forest ( Do both for an even more epic ride than the above)
    - Kolapore ( Epic and tough and beautiful single track)
    - Dryden Tract/Sudden Tract, Cambridge (rocky, rolly hills)

I don't make it east very often but Ganaraska and the Glen Major forest are really nice riding as well.

Win
    Last edited by winchaos; 04-19-2006 at 05:56 AM.

mtbr member

Where are some of these?

winchaos would you be willing to give directions on how to get to some of these locations? Particularly, puslinch, the hydro cut, waterdown, and dryden tract. I've heard of these, but being out East (3 Rocks 15 minutes away!) I don't know where any of these are. I'd like to try to get out to ride these some time this year.

Quote Originally Posted by winchaos
    Here's my favourites in no particular order
    - Puslinch Conservation area, Cambridge (tight with lots of short steep climbs)
    - The Hydro Cut, Kitchener (one word: woopdeedoo)
    - Waterdown ( Huge area up and down the escarpment with lots of stunts)
    - Hilton falls/Kelso ( Do all the trails at both for your admission fee for a really epic ride and lots of rocks. I'm cheap so I like to get as much riding as possible if I'm going to pay)
    - Mansfield/Dufferin forest ( Do both for an even more epic ride than the above)
    - Kolapore ( Epic and tough and beautiful single track)
    - Dryden Tract/Sudden Tract, Cambridge (rocky, rolly hills)

I don't make it east very often but Ganaraska and the Glen Major forest are really nice riding as well.

Win
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

mtbr member

Don't forget these great places.

3 Rocks, AKA Glen Major/Walkers Woods, some awesome single track, but make sure you are in shape, there are some good steep climbs here. Directions: Get to Durham 5 (Conc 9) just West of Lakeridge Rd. Turn North on Balsam Road. Cross the train tracks, there will be a parking lot on the West side of the road.

Durham Forest: Flat but a lot of good single track. Also a lot of (boring) double track so it is a bit better for beginners. Directions: Turn South on Uxbridge 7th Line at Durham 21 (Goodwood Rd). The parking lot is on the East side of the road. The map is okay, but will not show you most of the single track.

Ravenshoe: Very flat and small. The flow is excellent. You can see the same trail quite a few times in the course of a ride. Directions: Get to Ravenshoe Rd. Head to McCowan Rd, turn South. Just a short way the parking lot is on the West side.

Buckwallow: Rocky, not like Hilton falls. The rock is the trail. Very cool riding. Trails are very well marked and you can find trails for all physical and technical abilities. $6 last time I was there and well worth it. Directions: It is near the KOA just south of Bracebridge. Take Hwy 11 N. Get off at Doe Lake Rd, take the first Left and follow the signs.

Ganraska Forest: I've done some races here, but otherwise not ridden it much. It has much the same flavour as Durham Forest. Directions: Get to Hwy 35/115. Get off at 9 (Ganarska Rd) and head East. Watch for the signs to the forest. Pay (honour system) for parking.

I'd tell you more, but they've either already been covered, or I haven't been there (yet).
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

Winston the bike guy
    Puslinch, Directions from Toronto

401 to Townline (exit 286) turn left and go south over the 401. Left at the lights onto lake rd.
    Take lake road to the stop sign, turn left and park in the dirt lot on the right just before you go over the 401.

Winston the bike guy
    The waterloo cycling club has a page with maps to the Hydro cut and dryden tract plus an indepth map of the hydrocut trails as they are the ones that maintain them.

http://www.waterloocyclingclub.org/rides/maps.asp
    Last edited by winchaos; 04-19-2006 at 07:28 AM. Reason: adding info

Members who have read this thread: 0