Best place to get 1st bike in Toronto- Mtbr.com

Aug 2006

Best place to get 1st bike in Toronto

Looking to get my first decent bike, going towards a Rocky Mountain, Norco, Fisher. What are some of the best shops around in the Toronto area, I'm in Caledon, but don't mind to travel.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sherazad
    Looking to get my first decent bike, going towards a Rocky Mountain, Norco, Fisher. What are some of the best shops around in the Toronto area, I'm in Caledon, but don't mind to travel.
    What do you mean by "best"?

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    What do you mean by "best"?
    do you mean best price - 'cheapest' OR best service - 'not-always-so-cheap'?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Hack Racer
    Better to go with best service and spend a bit more money if it's your 1st bike. That way you can get them to fit the bike to you buy moving the saddle around, changing stem lengths etc. You don't get that type of service when you go ultra cheap shop.

A cheaper bike that fits you better is better than an expensive bike that doesn't fit you, and if it's your 1st bike, you may not know how to make all the individual settings.

Aug 2006
    what I mean by best is a store that will not try to rip me off because I'm obviously new to the sport of riding. I'm willing to spend $1000and think I'll get a decent bike from that. So what's a store that will fit me to a decent bike, without trying to rip me off, and a store where things are less expensive. I heard Skis & Bikes is a rip off, I don't know about their bikes, but their ski prices are high.

Hack Racer
    skiis and slopes are good guys. If you don't like them try wheels on bloor, or sporting life, or dukes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    actually isn't there a good bike shop out Caledon or Orangeville way.........
    I had always heard good things about them

Skiis &Biikes is a good shop....... unless of course your looking for skiis froms years before in which case then go shop at Sport Chek

Hack Racer
    http://www.caledonhillscycling.com/

is decent. But they have never budged off of MSRP for me.

If you are out on the west end
    http://www.spokesnslopes.com/

is good, their prices are good too. The store is a mess though

mtbr member
    Skiis and Biikes is a rip off, and I have often noted a lot of the sales people are pretty arogant. They even charge 40 bucks fo a dvd that costs 29 bucks elsewhere, same goes for most of their other stuff.

Dukes is awesome. They spent a ton of time with me, explained a lot of stuff, let me test ride some bikes, helped me pick out shoes, set me up on a trainer and taught me out to clip out, and also 3 year service warranty. Everytime I have brought me bike it has been no more than 15 - 20 min and they do the adjustments on the spot. All the guys are really helpful.

http://www.dukesonqueen.com

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    Dukes is awesome. They spent a ton of time with me, explained a lot of stuff, let me test ride some bikes, helped me pick out shoes, set me up on a trainer and taught me out to clip out, and also 3 year service warranty. Everytime I have brought me bike it has been no more than 15 - 20 min and they do the adjustments on the spot. All the guys are really helpful.

http://www.dukesonqueen.com
    second dukes. plus i hear they can get you a real slick 29er ss frame...in stock, i hear.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    second dukes. plus i hear they can get you a real slick 29er ss frame...in stock, i hear.
    FIXED!!!

he is obviously getting paid to plug them!

Quote Originally Posted by dukes_website
    Congratulations goes out to Peter from Misfitpycles, the winner of our 2nd Kona Zing Road Bike.
    http://www.dukesonqueen.com/
    "an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Payer
    FIXED!!!

#####################################

http://www.dukesonqueen.com/
    no, it doesn't have to be fixed. though some have. it can be fixed, single or even gears.

one of the best sizing setups i have seen...it didnt even bother me when they had to 'cup' repeatedly to get that pesky inseam measurement...thats normal right Chandler?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

More than a little slow
    spokes and slopes is good, dukes is good. And, seriously, I don't think you will go wrong with any bike store as long as you keep your money in your pocket and visit a few stores, talk with the shop guys, and ride as many bikes as possible before buying. You will figure out which store suits you best and which bike fits best as well.
    cheers, Dave

LBS Manager
    Dukes is your best bet in the GTA. I have always had oustanding service from them and one of my friends is one of the managers. They stock stuff that no one else will and their prices are good.

sru
    mtbr member
    Caledon Hills Cycling.........service is great and carry RM, Marin, Santa Cruz and Norco. I heard they have a sale coming up.

mtbr member
    Dukes also has some pretty good deals if you stay tuned for accessories and stuff. They discounted the Nike Alpin II shoes I bought from 239 to 99, and had a sale on some camelbacks, picked up a smaller one for 29 bucks.

almost there!

Vladimir on Queen Street West...

make sure you visit that russian guy on queen street west!

his store is near Trinity Bellwoods Park you can't miss it, he is usually out on the street doing the repairs out front of his store.

(I've edited this post - I previously said something bad about "Igor" in this post - I now retract it)
    Last edited by AJ541; 08-17-2006 at 04:46 AM.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ541
    make sure you visit that russian guy on queen street west!

his store is near Trinity Bellwoods Park you can't miss it, he is usually out on the street doing the repairs out front of his store.

(I'm completely kidding, don't even think of visiting him or taking your bike to him for repairs, he has a very very bad reputation...)
    His name is Igor...wrenches bikes in the summer, rides them in South America in the winter

could you please give us some examples (with proof) why you're posting on an international board that he has a "very very bad reputation" and what he did to you for you to dis him in public?

Thanks

Looking for Adventure

Don't let equipment price be the judge

Quote Originally Posted by sherazad

The better shops don't always try to undercut price on bikes and components, which eventually puts them out of business. They know you will always gets things cheaper on the internet.
    Look for ones that offer free labour (to service, tune, and swap or install components for you), and for ones that offer you to try out bikes.

If you get pushed into buying a "deal", walk out.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004

....i favor sweet petes on Bloor West! I have received nothing but good deals and fast, friendly service...i drive from hamilton to go there so they must be doing something right. Ask for jim(don't let the tats scare you) and tell him trevor sent you.

www.sweetpetes.com

Custom User Title

could you please give us some examples (with proof) why you're posting on an international board that he has a "very very bad reputation" and what he did to you for you to dis him in public?

Thanks
    hmmm, getting philosophical here.. isn't a reputation, just that, "a reputation"... more or less just rumour

do you need proof to warrant a reputation? if hundreds of people all post un-substantiated rumours on another board, is that not how a "reputation" is gained? some girls with bad repuations were guilty and some not, but the bad reputation was a fact...with or without the proof.

now if you choose to believe these rumours or even dare repeat them is a personal choice. I do not care to wade into the actual issue here. I do not know the man in question or the shop, heck I do not even visit the GTA, but I do hear the same stories repeatedly, day in and day out. The person in question either has a severe public relations problem or is up to something.

Again, I have absolutely no idea about this shop or man in question, but I can not argue the fact (right or wrong) that he has a bad reputation. I think people should go and decide for themselves... but man, that guy need to do something about his reputation!

Misfit Psycles
    hmmm, getting philosophical here.. isn't a reputation, just that, "a reputation"... more or less just rumour
    it might be rabbit, it might be. but a warning without example is nothing more than defamation and assumes the audience will take the time to investigate. will people heed a warning without example? maybe, either way it's not fair to chance it.

by all means warn people away from your bad experiences, but do list the experiences so that I/we can judge it for ourselves. afterall, you may be the problem...

for example donít announce to the world that this chap is a turkey f'er without showing me a few turkey-man-babies...or at least a few feather covered condoms.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Custom User Title

agreed.

it might be rabbit, it might be. but a warning without example is nothing more than defamation and assumes the audience will take the time to investigate.
    true dat!

on anther topic, that guy really needs a PR person. I am sure he is a great guy, wish everyone would quit slagging him.

bike theft is such a touchy subject in T.O. even heard Kim Mitchell on Q107 saying he was disgusted with it, last week.

for example don’t announce to the world that this chap is a turkey f'er without showing me a few turkey-man-babies...or at least a few feather covered condoms.
    it wan't me that announced it!

and what you do on your own time with consenting birds is your own business.

Jul 2006
    I bought from Sweet Pete's, because they were the only store that was straightforward with their prices for the bike I wanted, when I e-mailed them to ask about prices. I bought a bike for 50 dollars below MSRP. This is by no means a great deal. It turns out if I had waited 3 weeks and gone to a different store, Sport Swap, I could have had the 2006 Kona Cinder Cone that I purchased, for 100 to 150 below MSRP, as they marked down this model to try and move it. I'm not all that worried about the 50 to 100 dollars that I didn't save had I been more patient.

What I can't stand is people who try to sell you stuff. I understand that stores want to make money and that in order to do this they need to sell you stuff. However, I absolutely resent stores that try to pressure you into buying things. If a store isn't upfront about their prices with me, because they want to get me into their store, I would rather pay a premium, than go and find out their actual prices. Why do they want me in their store? They want me in their store so they can try and sell me something. I'm not interested in being sold something. I'm interested in buying something. I found Sweet Pete's to be completely upfront about their prices. I therefore chose to buy from them.

Duke's on the other hand, in spite of the stated policy on their website, that you should e-mail for current prices because the quoted MSRP they display for their models that are not 'on sale' prices, might not be current prices, never bothered to e-mail me back about their asking price for the Cinder Cone.

What's my point? Thusfar, admittedly on a limited basis, I've found Sweet Pete's to be an excellent shop who are straightforward to deal with. I can't say this about a couple of other stores who either explicitly refused to give me a price or, perhaps, in some cases couldn't be bothered to give me a price. I can't speak to the quality of Sweet Pete's servicing, but I will find out.

banned
    Mar 2005
    .. but man, that guy need to do something about his reputation!

probably because of those unjust posts and rumours based on only hearsay from some who never spend more than a couple of hours down here.

So let me help the poor guy out...

I've known Igor for about 5 years as a friend and neighbour...I've wrenched a few bikes with him (on the sidewalk or in his back yard behind the funeral home). I've watched him turn away countless lowlifes who want to sell him an obviously stolen bike,,,when he does buy a bike, he insists on picture I.D., keeps meticulous records, and quarantines the bike for 2 weeks to allow a police check. I've also seen him testify against those that sold him stolen bikes.

He's only out to make a buck, just like the rest of us...something you can't do with a bad reputation or from jail. He is also the most knowagable bike guy around...he doesn't run an LBS, just a storefront where he tries to cobble together customer's bikes with used parts and bailing wire...just so that they can get home or ride for a few more months.

He also helps some of us out with our winterbikes...I have an arrangement with him to buy beaters in the fall for $75, he buys them back in the spring for $50

SO...I don't get why some suburban mange cakes want to ruin the reputation of someone they don't know...just so that they can post some misleading, uninformed information...especially on a thread concerning LBS's, as Igor is only a storefront repair shop.

Hope this helps

almost there!

every story (or rumour) has 2 sides...

Thanks JM01 for telling us about your experience with Igor, the source of the rumours I've heard are from bike store staff from 2 seperate stores. I guess because he is a competitor they wouldn't say anything good about him.

mtbr member
    I was treated extremely well by the guys at Cycle Solutions. They even gave me a free jersey.

Aug 2006

Silent Sports

I'm not from Toronto and don't know the bike shop scene down there but am surprised nobody mentioned Silent Sports.

http://www.silentsports.com/store/

They are certainly cheaper than the Ottawa stores!

R

Aug 2006
    Thankyou for all the great replies guys. I'll definatley check out the stores posted above. Here's my situation thus far. I"m a student so that means I next to no disposable income, but still want to ride like crazy. My brother agreed to get 2 bikes one for him and one for himself. He said he'll spend $1000 for each bike. I'm looking at the Specialized Rockhopper Disc Pro, it's MSRP is $1150, I'd love to check that bike out, do you think if I walked into a store liked the bike and offered the store $2000 cash for 2 bikes they would accept the deal? or is that too much to ask for. I know the answer will change store to store probably, but what are my chances?

Custom User Title
    probably because of those unjust posts and rumours based on only hearsay from some who never spend more than a couple of hours down here.

So let me help the poor guy out.....

......SO...I don't get why some suburban mange cakes want to ruin the reputation of someone they don't know...just so that they can post some misleading, uninformed information...especially on a thread concerning LBS's, as Igor is only a storefront repair shop.

Hope this helps
    he should find out who is posting this stuff on craigslist and make them stop! I would be contacting Craigslist and my lawyer.

This is an example from just one day and this goes on everyday and gets read by alot of people... influencing opinion and fuelling "reputations". The shear volume of these reports makes someone like me who does not know the situation wonder. I mean if there was one or two reports I would right it off as one crank with an agenda, but there are hundreds of these...

Igor's-stolen bike heaven
    http://toronto.craigslist.org/bik/197266293.html

To the low life defending Igor
    http://toronto.craigslist.org/bik/197278791.html

RE: Igors - Stolen bike heaven
    http://toronto.craigslist.org/bik/197125685.html

banned
    Mar 2005
    you know, its kind of sad that this stuff is allowed to get on the web and then spead by people who have no idea of what they type...i'm confident that a lot of these reports are made up

Yes, there are people who knowingly buy stolen bikes down here, as well as a couple in the west end, and several on the east side of the Don as well. Its easy to see who they are as they have used bikes at a stupid price on display, either in their store or out front.

Igor doesn't...theres no room inside and he only has a post and ring on the sidewalk where people who need their bikes fixed lock up.

So...how can you buy and sell stolen bikes if you don't have any?...he can put a beater together from various parts he scrounges (like my winterbikes), but mostly he puts broken bikes together or comes up with salvaged parts to replace a part thats been stolen.

The only other person that does this is George at Parts Unknown in Kensington who also refuses to buy stolen bikes and has no time for those that do.

Just a long way of saying that Igor does buy bikes...always insists on photo ID and quarantines the bikes for a police check (as one of the posters on Craiglist mentioned...he found his bike there)...if he suspects its stolen, he doesnt need the hassle...I've heard him tear a strip off some "sellers" who thought that they could get away with dumping a stolen bike on him.

Also, when he does buy, he always pays top $...he's a bike guy, knows what they're worth, and knows that if you're legally selling a bike, you know what its worth as well. But he only has room for a few so he doesn't buy that often.

I've sold and traded a couple of bikes there and to some others in our area...a lot easier and faster than listing and waiting for a response

You're right...without proof, there's no reason to liable someone by hiding behind a keyboard...only something that an immature kid would try to do...perhaps they should grow up and get to know the bike guy(s) down here

Geez, that original poster didn't even know his name but was ready to liable him!

EDIT: Just for fun, I checked Craiglist for the names of shops that I do know buy stolen bikes in our neighbourhood...not one popped up, and i think that I know why...the others look like stores...Igor's looks pretty bad...someone broke his windows this winter and they're boarded up, and he only opens after 3:00 PM (when he does open)...perhaps if he had a real store, people wouldn't be so harsh.

Anyway...it led me to thinking if any of the bikes listed for sale on this board could be stolen

what you think?, at least Igor will take responsibility if he finds out that he bought a stolen bike
    Last edited by JM01; 08-22-2006 at 01:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Dang it, I've those stories too over and over again, and yet now that I think back they often had a common ending: the guy whose bike was stolen goes to Igor's and gets it back. For whatever reason, it seems the bike doesn't get sold right away.

Now, this is the first I've heard that Igor deliberately sets them aside (quarantines them) for a while to make sure they're not hot. Interesting, thanks for that perspective.

Misfit Psycles
    for a moment (and the purpose of plot development) i will assume that these igor tales are true:

igor buys up stolen bikes
    every poor victim in town stomps in and reclaims his bike
    igor is out a bag of crack
    igor is NOT arrested by authorities
    victim has bike back.

sounds like a community service to me...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

banned
    Mar 2005
    had to laugh at those posts on Craiglist...imagine two of torontos finest going with a person to search a house on the suspicion of finding his stolen bike there...and they're found only at Igor's, when i passed 20 stores selling used bikes on my ride home last night

anyway, Igor's been out of town for over a week...so those recent posts must have been on some kind of timer

Custom User Title
    for a moment (and the purpose of plot development) i will assume that these igor tales are true:

igor buys up stolen bikes
    every poor victim in town stomps in and reclaims his bike
    igor is out a bag of crack
    igor is NOT arrested by authorities
    victim has bike back.

sounds like a community service to me...
    the plot thickens...

Quote Originally Posted by craigslist_today
    You can try and get your bike back on your own, if you are lucky, he'll sell you your bike, for what he'd sell it to anyone else, though, the deal the Police made with him, is he is to sell your bike to you for what he actually paid for it.
    Other option, get some friends, and baseball bats, like has been done before, and go take it, or, call the cops and have them go with you.
    The more people that call the cops and make them go, the more likely something might happen.
    according to today's post...Igor is not out a bag of crack

*in a best case scenario, (unless you consider the "baseball bat" suggestion a sound plan) is he has a deal to sell it to you for what he paid for it. (although I am not sure where I would get my hands on a bag of crack to facilitate this transaction)

*in a worst case scenario, according to this expert, he could refuse to even sell it to you your own bike for full retail. bummer

banned
    Mar 2005
    this is getting silly...legally, if you find your bike there, he has to return it to you at no cost...too bad for him if its stolen...this is why he's carefull

I'm curious though, its beginning to look like there's some posters on craiglist who are bent to destroy his reputation, and from what I've seen, all of the info there is pure crap...Igor is not into dope...he's a health nut and I've only seen him drink the odd imported beer. If i have a few minutes, I may go back on Craiglist and see if its the same people posting.

Igor has been closed for over a week...he has no room in his store for more that 5 bikes that are hung on the wall in the back, the backyard is full of garbage and scrap frames (you can't move) and he wrenches bikes on the sidewalk...theres a few donor bikes chained out front...He rents the apartment upstairs

Jeez

This is Igor's, 5 minutes ago...where's the bikes?
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Mar 2005
    the plot thickens...
    went back a few days on Craiglist and the Igor postings go back only a couple of days and are always posted on the for sale forum with a $1 price...no ID though

I suspect it's the same guy with an axe to grind...dumb thing is that he's posting when Igor is on the road

Someone should report him, or at least ask him to prove his allegations

Space for rent...

If you can afford to wait....

...you can get a killer deal at the fall bike show. A lot of shops dump their bikes at huge discounts. If you know exactly what you are looking for, this may be your best option.

http://www.telsec.net/bicycleshow/ht.../fallshow.html
    It's only pain......

Members who have read this thread: 0