Bent Rim @ Hilton Falls- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Good job! Bent Rim @ Hilton Falls

Hi all..!!
    I just got back from Hilton Falls not too long ago, and man, I had a great time..!! I rode on the Orange trail, then decided to go on Bent Rim.. Ok, here's what I have to say.. I love that trail.. Bent Rim rocks.. lol literally ...!! I've been there before but not on these trails, and that was last year. I still haven't been to Kelso, but that will be next..
    Anyway.. I had a blast and if you haven't been there (but it looks like a lot of you have) I suggest if you can... go..!!

cheers

b_r

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Did you do all of Bent Rim?

I do it every once in a while for a good dose of humility. How many times did you say to yourself, "Whoever decided this was a trail must be nuts!"

The first time I did that trail, I brought a couple of friends along (both newbies). We decided to give it a try, not knowing what lay ahead.

Within about 15 minutes, one of my buds was so frustrated, he started bashing his bike against a tree! It was hysterically funny to watch, but bad from the tree's point of view.

Anyway, good on ya for giving it a try!

Mike

Mar 2004
    Man, I'm glad I had some riding experience before I tried that trail.. no wonder your friend was bashing his bike.. (although that probably didn't help matters ) No I didn't do the whole trail, I took the last leg off of the Orange trail to get a taste of it.. I didn't want to get too far in over my head.. But I'm sure that next time I'll be attempting the whole thing.

Yeah, whoever decided that was a trail must have been drunk or something... lol But you can't say it's not challenging that 's for sure... Once you stop, it's hard to get your groove back.. I walked some, I rode some.. but for the first time on there, I don't think I did too bad... One thing is for sure, it's a good thing I love rock gardens... espesially on a hardtail..!!

b_r

mtbr member

lots of fun...

Have you gone into the backcountry yet?

5 bridges??

Some awesome trails.

I actually met the designer of Bent Rim and some of the other builders and 'maintainers'
    (work with me on that word!!)

It was nice to know they cant ride the whole trail. From what Ive heard, its a very small, small community , maybe 3 or 4 riders who can ride thew whole thing..now thats talent.

Going there this weekend, maybe Thursday or Friday as well

Cheers

Quick Q....platforms or clipless??(at Hilton Fallls)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Quick Q....platforms or clipless??(at Hilton Fallls)
    My first clipless MTB ride was at Hilton Falls about a month ago. I became a fast learner. I can now bail out really quickly (and often)

Mar 2004
    No I haven't been to the back country, or 5 bridges.. where are they..?? I've heard that they aren't marked... where would I find them..??
    Good to know that not a lot of people ride the entire length of Bent Rim... I'd like to try it for the challenge, but we will see.. Definetly need to warm up the legs and everything else for that matter before going on that trail..!
    I hope you have fun on Thursday and Friday.. I'm actually heading out there today.. probably in an hour or so.. it's such a nice day..!!

cheers..!!
    b_r

p.s. platforms

mtbr member

... and if we just ... backcountry

Quote Originally Posted by bike_riot
    No I haven't been to the back country, or 5 bridges.. where are they..?? I've heard that they aren't marked... where would I find them..??
    Good to know that not a lot of people ride the entire length of Bent Rim... I'd like to try it for the challenge, but we will see.. Definetly need to warm up the legs and everything else for that matter before going on that trail..!
    I hope you have fun on Thursday and Friday.. I'm actually heading out there today.. probably in an hour or so.. it's such a nice day..!!

cheers..!!
    b_r

p.s. platforms
    Go to the Falls, as you take the main trail out of the falls on your left hand side there is a trail. Follow that trail...you will make a right, then you will see a bridge over the creek. Take that and keep to the left...there are tons of trails in there, some are marked on the trail guide some are not....

Ive only been in there two times so to say the least Ive explored about 20%

Cheers,

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Go to the Falls, as you take the main trail out of the falls on your left hand side there is a trail. Follow that trail...you will make a right, then you will see a bridge over the creek. Take that and keep to the left...there are tons of trails in there, some are marked on the trail guide some are not....

Ive only been in there two times so to say the least Ive explored about 20%

Cheers,
    Thanks.. I will totally venture out to the back country for sure. I went back to Hilton yesterday and had an awsome ride. I rode Bent Rim again, and finished it.. it took me about 2 hrs, and was pretty exhausted yet very satisfied when I was done. I warmed up with the Orange trail first to prepare for the beating I was about to take... I'd say that the first 1/4 is the hardest to ride.. not an inch of dirt.. just solid rock.
    Is the back country technical..?? Or is it fast single track..?? Or both.. Ooohhh I'm soo curious.. I'm so glad I started going there... How does Hilton compare to Kelso..?? Have you / anyone been to Kelso..??

b_r

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    "How does Hilton compare to Kelso..?? Have you / anyone been to Kelso..??"

b_r

Hilton Falls is much more technical than Kelso, but Kelso has more climbing opportunities.

Kelso seems like a smaller area by comparison, if you are including the forest outside of Hilton Falls as part of your ride there.

Personally, I like H.F. better.

Mike

mtbr member

Kelso vs Hilton Falls

Rode Kelso for the first time last week. NIce trails so far...lots of different paths down.
    You also have a choice; park at the summit or the base.
    As far as comparing the two....I would say Hiltobn Falls is more technical.(I walk more at Hilton Falls!!! ) From what I have rode at Kelso its failry fast with some tech stuff thrown in, but they have an easy route around most of the stunts. And one hell of a 'grunt climb'. The views from the escarpment are awsome, worht checking out. As for HF, its more rolling hills, rock and roots but fun none the less as with Kelso, lots of trail options.

Being so close to each other you can ride them both the same day..always a plus.

Cheers

Mar 2004
    <i>It was nice to know they cant ride the whole trail. From what Ive heard, its a very small, small community , maybe 3 or 4 riders who can ride thew whole thing..now thats talent.</i>

Is that ride the whole thing without dabbing? The day I went it was humid so the rocks were really slick. I figure even Hans Rey wouldn't have been able to ride the whole thing in those conditions.

rad to the power of sick
    Uggh.. bent rim

Im the kinda guy who likes pushing limits at high velocity rather than a trials rider. I prefer whipping down the dirt double track at 40k/h seeing how well my tires can grip.

Also, a few things i learned on the bent rim trail yesterday was that:

A: Silicium + wet rocks = zero grip. the silicium is supposed to prevent mud from sticking to the tires right? Perversely, it must also not stick to the mud!
    Although these tires are a 10/10 on dry hard pack.

B:Youre not as good as you think you are.

C: The all weather challenge makes the trails feel easy.

I did manage to do a good part of the bent rim before mosquitoes forced me out.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/