Bent Cobalt XC 29 Rim- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Bent Cobalt XC 29 Rim

I had a pretty good crash today at Durham Forest and I totally bent my Crank Brothers Cobalt XC Rim. I am wondering if I should just order a complete new wheel or just try to get a new hoop only. Does anyone know who might have them in stock in the GTA?

namagomi
    If it's not badly bent just bend it back with some 2x4, clamps and your body weight. How much does a new rim go for anyways?

mtbr member
    The only way to get a hoop only may be to send it back to Crank Brothers for a rebuild. As far as I know Norco no longer deals with Crank Bros. warranties so it is doubtful they would be stocking spare parts.

If it is the rear wheel, you might consider asking for a new FH body....you know....just in case.

max_29
    contact CB, and ask if you're eligible for a crash replacement.
    afaik, those wheels have 2 yrs of warranty.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the advice. I took a few pictures and sent an email to Crank Brothers. If nothing else I will be interested in the type of response I get. I am very surprised at how fragile these rims are. I am only 150lbs. All I did was catch a rut and high side pretty hard. I have also email Chain Reaction to see if I can buy just the front rim. They only have sets listed on the site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bent Cobalt XC 29 Rim-pan_6206.jpg  

mtbr member
    MEC has them .

sock puppet

geez...

you must be kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    If it's not badly bent just bend it back with some 2x4, clamps and your body weight. How much does a new rim go for anyways?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Stroker View Post
    I am very surprised at how fragile these rims are. I am only 150lbs. All I did was catch a rut and high side pretty hard.
    That can put a surprisingly large side load on the wheel if your bike was weighted just right, or as the case may be, wrong. I once wrote off a Mavic 519 along with bending the fork on my rigid bike in a very similar crash, I also weigh about 150lbs. I have a 519 on the rear that's survived all sorts of hell abuse from urban rides and DH runs while staying nice and true so I know it's not a weak rim.

I'd just come off a high speed downhill and was starting to make a turn when the front wheel hit a hole or soft spot and spun the front wheel sideways. I had my weight back at the time so the front wheel slid for half a second before catching hard on something, at which point the bike endo'd and I took a nice flyer. Potato chipped the wheel and the fork got bent such that the wheel was tilted to one side.

I've slid out the front or highsided my bike a fair number of times, often on lighter rims, so far the 519 was the only one that got written off through a fluke combination of things going wrong. Sometimes things just happen.

Evil Jr.
    Holy cow, that's some bend!

Mrs. Monster once wrote off a front wheel simply by kicking up a loose branch in the Don. Spokes and rims are so highly stressed that it just takes the wrong kind of load to end up with surprising (and bad) results.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Reminds me of the time when I was a kid riding down the street with my friends, someone decided it would be funny to kick over an open house sign on the way by. Through the miracles of karma, the metal frame of the sign took a weird bounce off the road and went into the spokes of his back wheel, ripping up a bunch of spokes and putting a nice dent in both chainstays.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post

you must be kidding...
    Last year i was riding home late evening with a light on my helmet, on the sidewalk no less to stay out of traffic. A completely stoned guy on a road bike ran right into me. I saw him coming and tried to avoid, and had come to a full stop but he plowed right into me. Anyways...

My front wheel, a Rhyno-lite on M525 hub was so pringled it wouldn't turn in the fork. I pulled it out, figured out the high/low spots, set it on the curb and applied measured force with both feet. Checked it, and repeated a few times. It was within 1/4" of true. I rode it home, and the next day got it within about 1/16" all the way around by bending the rim the same way. Finished it off with a spoke wrench. The tensions aren't perfectly even all the way around anymore because there's still some residual strain in the rim, but it's still a good rideable wheel.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    This was the respons from Crank Brothers:

"Peter, unfortunately crashes are not covered under warranty. If you caught a rut and the wheel bent, then this is considered rider caused and not a manufacturer defect. Please send you complete address and we can advise you as to the nearest service center where the wheel can be repaired. You can also purchase a rim under our no fault crash replacement program and have you LBS do the repair as well. This program pertains to the continental US only. Thanks Peter, keep us posted, Tim"

I guess I should not have told him I caught a Rut. Maybe I should have said I was riding along brand new ashphalt and the rim just bent all of a sudden. I think I will take this opportunity to switch rims. Anyone want a slightly used rear wheel and a hightly discounted front wheel?

Evil Jr.
    Hmm, maybe I should take them off your hands to use as spare parts...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Maybe we can work something out Garage Monster. I am in going to look at what my options are before I pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    Kind of lame that they only offer that program to the Contintental US.

namagomi

you must be kidding...
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    My front wheel, a Rhyno-lite on M525 hub was so pringled it wouldn't turn in the fork. I pulled it out, figured out the high/low spots, set it on the curb and applied measured force with both feet. Checked it, and repeated a few times. It was within 1/4" of true. I rode it home, and the next day got it within about 1/16" all the way around by bending the rim the same way. Finished it off with a spoke wrench. The tensions aren't perfectly even all the way around anymore because there's still some residual strain in the rim, but it's still a good rideable wheel.
    Rhyno-lite are solid and heavy rims. Not to slight the OP, but those crank-brothers wheels i wouldn't buy... low-spoke count wheels are basically hopeless if the rim gets bent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Myself, I'd try straighten it before giving up on it. Loosen all the spokes an equal amount until they're nice and loose, but not sloppy and rattling around. Find the bend, and try to slowly work the bend out best you can using wood , clamps, and your hands. Once the rim is close, tension the spokes and true it up. It won't be perfect, but you can probably get is pretty close.

sock puppet

so...

Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Nope.
    first you say to use two by four to fix them and then...

Not to slight the OP, but those crank-brothers wheels i wouldn't buy... low-spoke count wheels are basically hopeless if the rim gets bent.
    you say they are hopeless...

what's it gonna be?

should he fix them using your two by four, dab in the corner, technique or are they hopeless?

thank you in advance for your expert advice.

PS you have an option to answer my question by saying: pot calling the kettle black

sock puppet

yeah, he can try that but

in my humble opinion, the wheel is done... Rim must be replaced, at least...

Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    Myself, I'd try straighten it before giving up on it. Loosen all the spokes an equal amount until they're nice and loose, but not sloppy and rattling around. Find the bend, and try to slowly work the bend out best you can using wood , clamps, and your hands. Once the rim is close, tension the spokes and true it up. It won't be perfect, but you can probably get is pretty close.

namagomi
    first you say to use two by four to fix them and then...

Rhyno-lite are solid and heavy rims. Not to slight the OP, but those crank-brothers wheels i wouldn't buy... low-spoke count wheels are basically hopeless if the rim gets bent
    you say they are hopeless...

what's it gonna be?

should he fix them using your two by four, dab in the corner, technique or are they hopeless?

thank you in advance for your expert advice.
    basically hopeless. He is free to try to see if satisfactory results can be obtained before rims are sent to the great big billet in the sky.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    After a little complaining via email they shipped me a new hoop for $65+$15 for shipping. Pretty fair deal I think. Now I just have to get someone to put it together.

There was no way I was going to trust the bent one even if it could be straightened. Every downhill would be even more nerve racking!

Thanks for all the input.