Beginners Events in Southern Ontario- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Beginners Events in Southern Ontario

Hello all.
    I'm looking to start riding in a few cross country events this summer, or at least have something to train for. I won't make it in time for Paris to Ancaster (I think... I may still give it a go), but I'm wondering if there are any good beginners events that take place regularly during the summer.

I'm not too confident in my technical skills on the trail yet, but distance shouldn't be an issue.
    I know there's the 2011 Race Schedule posted, but I honestly have no idea what many of those are about, and I'd prefer to get some suggestions from people who've taken part in the events.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    The Ontario Cups (O-Cups) have a beginner category, and also a Try-an-OCUP category. You can do either or, but if I recall Try-An-Ocup is actually longer. You can do the try an ocup with just a one-day pass or citizens permit, and see if you like it. The courses usually aren't overly technical either.

Other citizens events like the 8-hour races are also a good start if you can put together or join a team.

There are also some weekly series is various parts of the province which are a really good place to start; thats where I did my first race. There is Tuesday nights at Albion Hills in Bolton. Wednesday Nights at the King trails, a Thursday night race at Durham Forest, and I think there is another series close to St. Catharines during the week, depending on where you're located.

sock puppet

except for O-Cups

you may as well pick any other event. Main thing to remember is when on the course - and hear someone closing in quick - be courteous and let them go by - WHEN IT IS SAFE FOR BOTH of you. If you do this safely and as quickly as you can - you and everyone else will have as much fun as it is possible. Most of the courses are very friendly - all depends on you and the speed you can handle safely.

Just check the dates and fit as many as you can. All 8 and 24 hour Chicoracing events are awesome for any level of racing expertise. Substance projects marathons are more demanding as they are 70+ kms long. Half marathons may be an option.

Paris to Ancaster is a great event - if you can - sign up and start in teh 3rd wave - choose your pace and stay with it...

Tuesday Night Fun Series at Albion is a very good starting point as well.

Just keep in mind - let the fast guys go by in safely and friendly manner - and you can race and have fun in any of the races listed. Your skills will progress faster than you think, and soon you will be the fast one asking to be let go...

Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by norwish
    Hello all.
    I'm looking to start riding in a few cross country events this summer, or at least have something to train for. I won't make it in time for Paris to Ancaster (I think... I may still give it a go), but I'm wondering if there are any good beginners events that take place regularly during the summer.

I'm not too confident in my technical skills on the trail yet, but distance shouldn't be an issue.
    I know there's the 2011 Race Schedule posted, but I honestly have no idea what many of those are about, and I'd prefer to get some suggestions from people who've taken part in the events.

Thanks!

Evil Jr.
    A lot of the best events for people new to racing are the weekly series like Tuesdays at Albion and Wednesdays at King. As for individual races, almost anything listed as a Citizen event will be geared more towards beginners, such as Canal Days in Port Colborne and they're usually a lot of fun too.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for all the info!
    I think I may try to get people together for some 8 or 24 hour racing.

As for the O-Cup, do you have to take part in each race, or can you join in at any point during the season? I doubt I'll make it for April 30th, but I would try for any of the others.

Evil Jr.
    You can do as few or as many O-Cups as you like. If you care about such things, they use your top 5 results to determine your series position at the end of the year.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member

12-Mile Series in St.Catharines

We should have some Registration info on our Series in the next week or so.
    You might want to give it a try. Wednesday evenings starting 18 May.
    http://www.libertybicycles.com/12mile/
    There is a Kid's loop, and an Adult loop. In past years we had a pretty wide skill-demographic. So, most semi-healthy folks should be able to do it.
    There is also a series at Kelso on Tuesday nights:
    http://www.conservationhalton.on.ca/...fm?itemid=9430
    It is arguably a little more challenging, but a good time, too.
    KG

mtbr member
    There's also a weekly series at Kelso on Tuesdays I believe.

And don't forget about the Squeezer! It's a long ways off right now but sooo much fun for all levels! (Love the Squeezer!)
    I love riding my bike!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Paul's Dirty Endro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetfilly7

And don't forget about the Squeezer! It's a long ways off right now but sooo much fun for all levels! (Love the Squeezer!)
    Yes, Sweetfilly7, the Kelso series on Tuesday nights is way fun and has a beginners class too! You'll build lots of character quickly racing up that big firiggin' hill!

Races start May 24, and there's a registration night May 17. Info is at

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetfilly7

Kelso's pretty close by; I may start going there.
    What's the Squeezer? It looks like they have a date, but no information for it yet. All I can figure is that it's off-road lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by langford
    Yes, Sweetfilly7, the Kelso series on Tuesday nights is way fun and has a beginners class too! You'll build lots of character quickly racing up that big firiggin' hill!

Races start May 24, and there's a registration night May 17. Info is at
    Thanks for this info - I'm definitely going to sign-up as this sounds like a great summer-long event.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by norwish
    Kelso's pretty close by; I may start going there.
    What's the Squeezer? It looks like they have a date, but no information for it yet. All I can figure is that it's off-road lol
    The Squeezer is a gigantic off-road race that starts and ends in downtown St. Catherines. Last year, I think there were well over 1,000 participants ranging across ALL ability levels. It's part of a big local festival and it has a great atmosphere.

Last year, I swept the final Citizen wave (before the Elite wave blasted through) and managed to have a fun time despite making someone really angry at me (check out last year's thread for more info).

Members who have read this thread: 0