• 05-30-2014
    Thatshowiroll
    Beginner Women's MTB Clinics?
    No, I'm not trying to pick up chicks.
    My wife is just starting out and is very intimidated, regardless of me trying to show her some skills.

Anything coming up in the GBA (Greater Bolton Area)?
  • 05-30-2014
    slowpok92
    Check with your local shops and then if you have any local cycling clubs check with them.
    I will say my wife has greatly improved since she has started riding with other women and she is actually doing her first race this weekend because one of the other ladies suggested she should do it(I have been telling her she should race for a while, and she would always respond to me with I am not ready.):rolleyes:
  • 05-30-2014
    tyh83
    I just sent you a message.
    we are starting the split rides at mono next week, beginner doing a ride, at the same time as the normal group heads out.... keeping the ride run, not much climbing at all, and social...
  • 05-30-2014
    Nerdgirl
    A friend does this: Rose Pedals. She'll do one-on-one instruction at convenient locations (e.g. Albion). She's based in Toronto and is a teacher, so her time is much freer in the summertime, but I'd say she's a great bet.

Neither of these are in the Bolton area, but still might be interesting...

Sacred Rides is awesome, and they have two day Women's Skills camps. Looks like the closest one is in the Gats in QC.

Joyride, of course has its Women's Weekend the first weekend of February, but they also have women's classes. The webpage hasn't been updated recently but there's an email contact at the bottom. Individual classes are also available.

Many shops offer women's rides; some offer coaching. It IS really hard to learn from your partner. Good luck!
  • 05-30-2014
    Enduramil
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post

It IS really hard to learn from your partner.

^^This.

Unless you are fortunate that your spouse has a certain mindset trying to do this will cause problems.
  • 05-30-2014
    slowpok92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    ^^This.

Unless you are fortunate that your spouse has a certain mindset trying to do this will cause problems.

Agree 100% on this also, my wife and I have had our share of fights on the trail.
  • 05-30-2014
    secret agent
    Ditto. Apparently I am not the only one.
  • 05-30-2014
    cyclelicious
    I'm not sure what trail biking experience your wife has or whether she prefers all-female groups or 1:1 practice... we all have different styles of learning. It gets even more compicated if you are an adult learner. There isn't a whole lot of organized clinics for beginner adult mtbrs... let alone for chicks. (I have a hard enough time finding mtb shorts and jerseys :) ).

My cycling background was strictly road... prior to that I had never biked off road ie cycling on a dirt path until I was 46 years old. It was a very steep learning curve for me starting with just getting used to the bike geometry, learning to ride "technical aspects" of different surfaces (roots, rocks, rollers, climbs and descents). I'm still working on my log-overs!

I learned with my husband's guidance. He was experienced leading beginner mtb rides in Bolton area. My hubby took me on easy trails where I could session and practice... I don't like learning in groups. Initially I didn't even like riding in groups because I was slow and always felt I was holding everyone up. Riding with Chris was easier for me and I could learn at my own pace

My first experience downhilling was at 48. I took lessons at blue with Wade Simmons and his guidance and instructions stuck with me to this day. It was well worth it. Despite some very serious health issues, I continued to mtb throughout my intensive cancer treatments (I rode trails, and DH). I continued to ride at my own pace within my own limits, and I always only rode with Chris.

I attended the very first Women's Joyride skills day. But my personal preference is riding trails in a natural setting. The stuff I couldn't ride, I'd walk and eventually my skills grew and eventually it came together. ... no one pressured me.

There are benefits to clinics and private lessons from instructors other than a spouse. But if you can't find a clinic, finding the right people to ride with is also helpful. I always like riding with mtbr's that are stronger and more skilled (I guess I learned that through DH). On occasion I've watched instructional videos which I like to apply in practice. Fabien Barel's videos are very good.
  • 06-01-2014
    Rocket Dog
    The Wild Bettys, Lapdogs, and other GTA cycling clubs have sklls clinics (and women only rides) for new riders and could be good options. Such clinics made learning to ride off road a much better experience for my wife than I could offer and likely saved more than a few trailside arguments from happening.
  • 06-02-2014
    Thatshowiroll
    Thanks for the suggestions and advice all.
    She's very much a Type A personality, and in this case, if she can't do something well right away, she'll stop doing it. So I have to be cautious and tread lightly.
    We rode Palgrave Saturday and she did well. Already very intuitive with gear-shifting and choosing the right gear for the terrain.
  • 06-02-2014
    MustG0Faster
    Beginner Women's MTB Clinics?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    ... Fabien Barel's videos are very good.

Thank you Cyclelicious!
    I just watched half a dozen of his videos and they are great!!!
  • 06-04-2014
    Barflyrocks
    My wife recently took a women's MTB class at Hardwood Hills. She got a lot out of it. I've noticed a difference in her riding. She seems to have a lot more confidence.
  • 06-04-2014
    Nerdgirl
    I mostly learned to ride with Mr. Monster (many MANY years ago). I won't lie - there's been some conflict there when I got frustrated by not doing it perfectly the first time. Note to husbands - one piece of advice is probably enough for any given ride. Ask her in advance what she hopes to get out of any given ride (a pleasant jaunt through the forest? an endurance test? fitness? a particular skill?). Nonetheless, Mr. Monster has always been, and remains, my favourite ride partner. (OK, I do also really enjoy riding with the mini-Monster, who, I should mention, will shortly be leaving me in his dust. I don't think I could ride all of Ebb and Flow brakeless...) I highly recommend riding with your spouse - it's fantastic to share so much fun.

I have taken a couple of clinics, though, and they really upped my riding ability in a low stress environment. I didn't even care if they were women-only or mixed, as long as the clinic was at the right level. Just having instruction from a new person can help things suddenly "click". Good luck!
  • 06-16-2014
    cyclelicious
    4-Week Women's Intro to Downhill Clinic presented by Oakley

Description
    This all-inclusive program geared towards introducing women to the sport of downhill mountain biking. PMBI certified coaches work with learners to develop the various skills needed to be successful on the trail.

Ages 18+
    Lesson Times

Price $399

Lesson times
    6 - 8 pm
    Four Wednesdays starting July 9 or August 6
    *Includes lift tickets, lesson and downhill bike and armour rental. $399*

Lessons, Camps and Clinics