beavers and powder- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391

    beavers and powder

    lots of snow out by the humber river.



    having some fun jumping off a small drift...



    friggin beavers that's a really old yellow birch being gnawed...

    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  2. #2
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    fuk i miss warm weather...

    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  3. #3
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    I was hoping for a picture of an actual beaver.

    PS, I'm also starting to look forward to riding my bicycle on dirt.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  4. #4
    Steady Creepin'
    Reputation: LuMach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    486
    You sure that's beaver, looks a lot like porcupine damage to me. Saw lots of that when I did some work on the Bruce-Milton Hydro corridor up there. I couldn't believe how common those guys were up there, always thought they were a much more northern species.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trailtrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,232
    [QUOTE=singlesprocket]fuk i miss warm weather...

    I week today I'll be in Arizona

  6. #6
    Up, Up, and Away!
    Reputation: SuprGrovr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    255

    I'll second that...

    Quote Originally Posted by LuMach
    You sure that's beaver, looks a lot like porcupine damage to me. Saw lots of that when I did some work on the Bruce-Milton Hydro corridor up there. I couldn't believe how common those guys were up there, always thought they were a much more northern species.
    Definitely looks porcupine to me, and very common along the Humber.

  7. #7
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr
    Definitely looks porcupine to me, and very common along the Humber.
    pretty sure beaver, tracks go to the river into a icehole
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  8. #8
    Steady Creepin'
    Reputation: LuMach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    pretty sure beaver, tracks go to the river into a icehole
    Ok then, I'd say that's solid beaver evidence...

    Interesting, I know porcupines resort to eating the softer inner bark of tree trunks in winter, didn't know beavers did the same. Shame about the damage, but how do you deter it? Spray coyote or bear piss at he base of trees that require special protection, or just let nature take it's course?

  9. #9
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by LuMach
    Ok then, I'd say that's solid beaver evidence...

    Interesting, I know porcupines resort to eating the softer inner bark of tree trunks in winter, didn't know beavers did the same. Shame about the damage, but how do you deter it? Spray coyote or bear piss at he base of trees that require special protection, or just let nature take it's course?
    here's a pic of the hole.



    we tried all kinds of sprays, i think the only thing that would help would be wire mesh.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  10. #10
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    [QUOTE=trailtrash]
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    fuk i miss warm weather...

    I week today I'll be in Arizona
    now you have to do a ride report you lucky dawg
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  11. #11
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Be careful you don't catch Bieber fever hanging that beaver hole...

    Just the other day I was dreaming of solid dirt and t-shirts.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trailtrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,232
    [QUOTE=singlesprocket]
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash

    now you have to do a ride report you lucky dawg
    won't be a long report.
    visiting the outlaws so how much riding i'll get in i'm not sure.
    I know we have one day set aside for it anyway.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CptSydor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,764
    I was hoping for a thread about hookers and blow.

    Title was totally misleading.

  14. #14
    Up, Up, and Away!
    Reputation: SuprGrovr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    I was hoping for a thread about hookers and blow.

    Title was totally misleading.

  15. #15
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    i can understand the confusion
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  16. #16
    mtbr Decade+
    Reputation: Biggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,545
    My last ride was New Years' Eve.

    0/44 in 2011.

    Biggie sucks.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

  17. #17
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    My last ride was New Years' Eve.

    0/44 in 2011.
    If I had not got on my bike today, I would have been able to say the exact same thing.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k1lluaA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    I was hoping for a thread about hookers and blow.

    Title was totally misleading.
    aww...beat to the punch


    haha, but seriously, where are the hookers?
    2008 Kona Caldera

    "Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

  19. #19
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    I was hoping for a thread about hookers and blow.

    Title was totally misleading.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_-Hi...eature=related

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0DysKvt4K0

  20. #20
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    We skied two new (to us) spots yesterday: Valens CA and the wilderness end of Christie. Both were pretty rustic and marshy and lots of fun. Even found a fresh rabbit carcass!

    Not sure whether it'll be skiing or riding tonight. That 10 degree temperature flop has me a bit confused.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    lots of snow out by the humber river.



    having some fun jumping off a small drift...



    friggin beavers that's a really old yellow birch being gnawed...

    Great pics ... but some did not believe.... next time look up when taking a pic ... porkies like to chew the branches at least half way .... not because they are frightened of strangers .... it's the view.

  22. #22
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Spotted the largest beaver i've ever seen() by the etobicoke creek, sucker must have been eating take-out trash for years! Probably a good 50-60lb if I were to guess, slapped it's tail at me and scrambled away on the ice, haha... maybe it got carried down-stream by recent floods?

  23. #23
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,098
    We've seen beavers swimming in the river on a few rides in winter and summer. There's good eats along the Humber!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.