Bear Sighted in Milton- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,303

    Bear Sighted in Milton

    Got word from the Running Free Milton store that a bear was spotted yesterday in Milton. Be careful on the trails kiddies.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    202
    One was shot and killed by Halton Police today in Burlington. Chances are it's the same one.

    Poor fellah.

  3. #3
    Workin for the weekend!
    Reputation: -Todd-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,337
    Amazing... I would have been absolutely shocked to See a bear on the trail around these parts...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Got word from the Running Free Milton store that a bear was spotted yesterday in Milton. Be careful on the trails kiddies.
    Saw it on the news a couple of days ago...Apparently a five hundred pound fella. No joke here, but didn't hear they shot it yesterday. I would be shocked if it wasn't the one that was seen as multiple rogue bears in the area would be very surprising.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

    http://www.apexracephotography.com

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    365
    I don't understand. Bears live near trails in many locales. Unless the bear has acclimatized to human presence and associated humans with food, and is hungry, they do not pose a danger, no?

    Taken while shuttling up North Shore trails last summer.


  6. #6
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,965
    is the only option really to shoot and kill?
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  7. #7
    I dd what you see there.
    Reputation: XLNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    717
    I know we're not supposed to get into politics here, but shooting this bear really grinds my gears with Governmental ineptitude.

    First ORNGE who receives far too much tax-payer money is inable to get a flight for a patient and they end up dead, and this happened TWICE in the last two weeks.
    Now the MNR is inable to send someone to Burlington when they have an office in Guelph - what - 30 to 45 minutes away? Also and office in Vineland that is what, 20 minutes away? Just what are these 'agencies' doing with the millions of tax dollars they are getting every year?
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Near north's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    459
    Wow that sure sounds like a lot of politics. Plenty of bears around if you want another one around your house? Shooting is the most economical method. The MNR doesn't usually do it at least around here it seems the OPP are the shooters and only after someone complains or a threat has be determined.
    We have had a resident bear at a local riding area near here for a few years with no problems, once in a while you may hear it but not likely to get a look at it.
    No Comment on the helicopter part...........

  9. #9
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Here's an interesting statistic I learned earlier this year. In 2011, the Hamilton Police discharged firearms in 43 separate incidents (slightly higher than average). The most common use of service firearms is to euthanize injured animals. In 2011, 42 deer were euthanized. The only other discharge was a fatal shot delivered at a guy coming at the Police with a baseball bat. [Source: Hamilton Police 2011 Use of Force Statistical Report]
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    202
    Trouble is convincing the bear not to do anything aggressive while you wait for MNR to make the trip from Guelph to Burlington.

    It was about 75 feet from houses. Way too close for comfort.

    Can't blame MNR though. When your funding dictates how many offices you can have, obviously you set up shop in locations where you're most likely to be needed/can respond to quickly.

  11. #11
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,892
    We have encountered bears on several rides over the years"

    1) In Timmins
    Bear Sighted in Milton-p8012015.jpg
    This one followed us on the trail

    http://forums.mtbr.com/eastern-canad...es-543291.html

    2) At Silver Star In the Okanagan
    Bear Sighted in Milton-a9f7f7d1.jpg

    We've spotted them at Mont Ste Anne (couldn/t get the camera out in time)

    Bears arent as intimidating as moose.
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrblade View Post
    Trouble is convincing the bear not to do anything aggressive while you wait for MNR to make the trip from Guelph to Burlington.

    It was about 75 feet from houses. Way too close for comfort.

    Can't blame MNR though. When your funding dictates how many offices you can have, obviously you set up shop in locations where you're most likely to be needed/can respond to quickly.

    Why wouldn't cops be trained, equipped and armed with tranquilizer guns like the MNR?

  13. #13
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Bears arent as intimidating as moose.
    I've been spooked by both enough times for my taste. The grizzly that walked through our campsite on Rockwall in Yoho was one of the scariest things I've ever encountered. In the back of my mind, I was thinking "Is this the end?"
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  14. #14
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Why wouldn't cops be trained, equipped and armed with tranquilizer guns like the MNR?
    It's become too costly for the MNR to trap and relocate nuisance bears. Sadly it seems easier for the OPP to shoot them. And of course they wll state that the reason is for public safety.

    Number and costs of nuisance bear calls soars | Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  15. #15
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,772
    That wasn't a bear BTW. I just stopped shaving my legs
    Strava made me do it....

  16. #16
    I dd what you see there.
    Reputation: XLNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    717
    Once again, I must avoid politics, but being a (municipal) "public" employee, I'm well versed in the REAL meaning of "lack of funding." What they really mean they say stuff like that is "I'm too lazy to do it."

    Two years ago, while dealing with an MTO audit at work, I got talking to the "officer" and started questioning him on how MTO "officers" aren't real mechanics but they're allowed to the pull the tags on a car over "safety concerns", while a trained and licensed mechanic that works on cars every day is NOT able to keep an unsafe vehicle off the road (trying to get him to admit they're hired unlicensed and then given an 'open book' CFQ exam). He assured me that it's just Gov't protocol as back in college he was on a "work program" with the MNR , and the "officer" he was paired with actually hated the outdoors and was afraid of racoons.

    It boils down to a human 'superiority complex' or their "I own the world sense of entitlement." The fact is WE moved into THEIR habitat - as such I don't believe there's ANY excuse for not keeping the animal alive at ANY cost.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

  17. #17
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,965
    it's not like the bears are wandering in downtown suburbia (though they do sometimes stray). they are in their habitat and we are trying to share it.

    i just watched a vid on pinkbike of a whistler run. at the end of the run, a bear casually saunters through the frame like it owns the place.
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  18. #18
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,303
    I exppect to hear of more bear incidents this year.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,854


    Bear hanging out on the ski out from Blackcomb a couple years back in April. He was just chilling there. You had to ski around him to get to the parking lot.


    Typical road side bear looking for berries along the highway.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Near north's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    459
    Maybe we should have an air ambulance at every corner waiting to save someone or somebear?
    You can likely tell I'm not a public employee so I don't feel we should spend any amount of money to save a bear or a squirrel or a mouse or mosquito. no MNR calls to come remove the blood sucking black flies from our trails, but don't kill them we are going in to their habitat, share it.
    What about the poor fella with the baseball bat no one said they want to let him run around their neighborhood?
    Most animals change the environment to suit their needs based on their abilities.

  21. #21
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    Once again, I must avoid politics, but being a (municipal) "public" employee, I'm well versed in the REAL meaning of "lack of funding." What they really mean they say stuff like that is "I'm too lazy to do it."

    Two years ago, while dealing with an MTO audit at work, I got talking to the "officer" and started questioning him on how MTO "officers" aren't real mechanics but they're allowed to the pull the tags on a car over "safety concerns", while a trained and licensed mechanic that works on cars every day is NOT able to keep an unsafe vehicle off the road (trying to get him to admit they're hired unlicensed and then given an 'open book' CFQ exam). He assured me that it's just Gov't protocol as back in college he was on a "work program" with the MNR , and the "officer" he was paired with actually hated the outdoors and was afraid of racoons.

    It boils down to a human 'superiority complex' or their "I own the world sense of entitlement." The fact is WE moved into THEIR habitat - as such I don't believe there's ANY excuse for not keeping the animal alive at ANY cost.
    And thus is why I'm taking a time out from any government job. To many zealots .

  22. #22
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post


    Bear hanging out on the ski out from Blackcomb a couple years back in April. He was just chilling there. You had to ski around him to get to the parking lot.
    Doubt most here know that they do tons of bear research in Whistler.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,854
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Doubt most here know that they do tons of bear research in Whistler.
    Why would they. I don't know they do research on bears in Whistler. Frankly I doubt it's a good spot for research unless is research into how the bears have become a custom to human contact and aren't real wild bears anymore.

  24. #24
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Why would they. I don't know they do research on bears in Whistler. Frankly I doubt it's a good spot for research unless is research into how the bears have become a custom to human contact and aren't real wild bears anymore.
    They have. One area on Whistler Mountain is used by researchers.. specifically Black bear behaviour. At one point they had an area atop Grouse for 2 orphaned cubs they where trying to help survive.

    Though to be fair. What most here don't realize is that this is the time of year when the bears breed. And Black bears are pretty aggresive when it comes to mating... the researcher at Whistler watched a male trying his best to knock a females cubs out of the tree they where sheltering in. If he had he would kill them so he could trigger the females cycle again. Later it's the female that is aggresive as hell.

    Oh, and friendly tip... Black Bear fight to the death. Way more aggresive then a Grizzly.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    It boils down to a human 'superiority complex' or their "I own the world sense of entitlement." The fact is WE moved into THEIR habitat - as such I don't believe there's ANY excuse for not keeping the animal alive at ANY cost.
    Quite frankly, when word was out that there was a bear in the area, MNR should have had staff set up shop in Halton, waiting for a pinpointed location so they could at least having a chance of taking care of it with a tranq.

    In this case, when it was finally located near homes, there was no alternative. There's no reasoning with a bear. If MNR would have at least said they were on the way, maybe they could have stayed at a distance with guns drawn to watch it until they arrived, but they weren't, and that left no choice.

    -1 to MNR.

  26. #26
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrblade View Post
    Quite frankly, when word was out that there was a bear in the area, MNR should have had staff set up shop in Halton, waiting for a pinpointed location so they could at least having a chance of taking care of it with a tranq.

    In this case, when it was finally located near homes, there was no alternative. There's no reasoning with a bear. If MNR would have at least said they were on the way, maybe they could have stayed at a distance with guns drawn to watch it until they arrived, but they weren't, and that left no choice.

    -1 to MNR.
    Interesting direction this has all taken. From a post of a bear being sighted to bear killed, and now to the blame government. Ah, so predctable Ontario.

    So how come no questions? Or would that distract from this now blame thread?

    Most important question here that needs to be asked is... was this bear habituated to humans? Meaning had the bear become so accustomed to humans it had no fear?

    These are the questions needing to be asked to understand what happened. Not the Mulcair NDP methodolgy of who to fear and who to blame.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Interesting direction this has all taken. From a post of a bear being sighted to bear killed, and now to the blame government. Ah, so predctable Ontario.
    I think you should put 'Southern' or maybe 'South Central' before the word Ontario. The residents up past a certain point in the province seem to be a little less government dependant since there is a chronic lack of resources for anything outside of a few favoured places/ridings/districts.

    Years ago I read that unofficially bear numbers seem to be up (anecdotally) since the cancellation of the spring bear hunt. So much so that in parts of Ontario North and West of Sudbury residents were getting annoyed that every time they made a call about a problem bear they were told to be 'bear wise'.

    Talk was that the northern residents would start trapping and relocating bears into the south so that 'everyone' in Ontario could experience and be 'bear wise' with the nature whose homes we keep carving up.

    Shame about the bear.

    Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.