Bash Ring Q?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bash Ring Q?

mtbr member

Bash Ring Q?

Well it seems every year now Im having to replace my large chainring thanks to some logs and rocks. Every year I swear Im just going to ride 'non'-technical routes, like that ever happens...anyway...my question is, are there bash rings available out there which I can use and not lose my big chain ring? Can I lose my 'granny' ring and keep the middle and large chain-ring? Any suggestions, besides buying a new bike...Im still working on my wife for another bike, which may take another year since I just picked up a road bike this year (shhhhhh)

Cheers

sock puppet

you will have to lose

Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Well it seems every year now Im having to replace my large chainring thanks to some logs and rocks. Every year I swear Im just going to ride 'non'-technical routes, like that ever happens...anyway...my question is, are there bash rings available out there which I can use and not lose my big chain ring? Can I lose my 'granny' ring and keep the middle and large chain-ring? Any suggestions, besides buying a new bike...Im still working on my wife for another bike, which may take another year since I just picked up a road bike this year (shhhhhh)

Cheers
    big ring if you want bash ring... the only thing you can do is get middle ring with more teeth - to be able to go faster on flats... you have to keep the granny...

mtbr member
    my question is, are there bash rings available out there which I can use and not lose my big chain ring?
    Cheers
    If you actualy use your big ring a lot and would like to keep it, you DON'T have to lose it. Blackspire (and maybe others) makes big ring protector that goes over the big ring - see link: http://www.blackspire.com/chain-guar...ring-protector
    However, it will add a chunk of weight to your bike (in case you care), and you will be clipping even more rocks and logs with it on, as the diameter is obviously a bit bigger than your big ring. But your ring itself will be safe.
    Other than that, if you rarely use big ring on your rides, I'd just loose it and go with a bashguard covering the middle ring instead. It will give you a lot more clearance too.

Arek

mtbr member

Never

Never thought about the clearance! Good point...

Cheers for the reponses...the inevitable next question

Bashguards? Any guards I should check out or better yet what to look for...material? avg weigtht? Not that adding a few ounces is gonna kill me...I do a alright sluggin 225lbs around as is

I'll be hitting the lbs up this week, see what they have to offer...

Cheers

mtbr member
    e-13, Race Face, Dangerboy and others make bash rings. You can even get one at MEC.

I too thought about getting a ring to cover my 3 rings (MEC sells one), but I didn't want to lose any more ground clearance and add that much weight.

I don't miss the big ring at all.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon (sold)
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

sock puppet

yeah...

Never thought about the clearance! Good point...

Cheers for the reponses...the inevitable next question

Bashguards? Any guards I should check out or better yet what to look for...material? avg weigtht? Not that adding a few ounces is gonna kill me...I do a alright sluggin 225lbs around as is

I'll be hitting the lbs up this week, see what they have to offer...

Cheers
    arek brought a good point up - you actually dont have to LOSE the big ring - i was using my logic when i said you would have to... losing big ring will give you more clearance and that will make a world of difference in your riding - when clearing logs and other obstacles...

what cranks / rings are you using? i might have a four bolt bash ring by Race Face - brand new - never used it as i got cravings for speed last couple of seasons...

X-Ray Guy
    i switch to 2 rings and a bashguard and will most certatinly never look back...ton more clearance...almost never bash anything. I never really noticed it but i only used to big ring on road rides to the trails and never on the trails. Plus u can shorten ur chain and get crisper shifting on the real gears u use most often. I love my 2X9...

Members who have read this thread: 0