Attending UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Attending UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne

Hi all,

I want to attend the UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne (Aug 5-7). I've never attended a UCI World Cup Race before so I am not entirely sure what to expect and what to do ahead of time.

My plan is as follows:

1) I'll be driving from NYC Saturday July 30th. Probably stay a night at Montreal, and two nights at Quebec City to do some site seeing.

2) Arrive at Mont Sainte Anne Wednesday. Spend Wednesday-Friday riding the trails. I will be bringing both my DH and trail bike so I hope to ride both the DH and XC trails at Sainte Anne.

3) Friday - Sunday: hang out at the Velirium expo. Hopefully meet some of the pro racers. I would like to spectate the practice, qualifying and actual race runs. How do I go about doing this? Do I have to hike up or can take the gondola up and ride down to a spot to spectate for the event? I would rather spectate on the side or near the side of the course instead of spectating at the finish line. Need some advice on this one. I have no clue.

4) Monday - Drive home.

Some questions:

1) Does this sound like something that is doable? I've never attended any UCI races before so I am not sure if there are any rules or restrictions on spectating the race. How early do I have get there to ensure a nice trail side spot to spectate the race? Any suggestions on locations with the best views?

2) Should I stay at the Chateau Mont Sainte Anne which is right at the base of the mountain. I was hoping to minimize the amount of drive to and from the mountain during the race weekend. How is parking going to be during the race weekend?

3) Are the trails open during the race weekend? Or is the whole montain closed for the UCI race?

3) What should I do about bike security? I am assuming the bikes will need to stay on my bike rack during overnight hours. I will have 4 bikes with me (my wife and I, 2 on roof and 2 on hitch). I will be bringing thick cables and a kryptonite u-lock. I plan on looping the cables through all my bikes and securing everything to my hitch with the u-lock.

4) Border crossing with 4 bikes, is this going to be a problem? Any special paperwork to fill out?

Please let me know! I am really excited and really appreciate any advice I can get!!

mtbr member
    I've been to the Mt St. Anne race 3 time and will be going again this year. Here's some answers.

1) Totally doable. The mountain is essentially open to the public during the races. You can hike and spectate at whatever point you wish.

DH - You can pay for the gondola up and hike down to part of the course if you wish. I never have, I tend to hike up to a technical spot and watch some of the lower ranked riders. Then head to the finish line to watch the contenders. They have big screens with the redbull feed playing. So you can watch the riders hit the last few kickers and see the time splits.

XC - I tend to check out the race from a few vantage points throughout the race.

Normally you can squeeze into any spot on course if you are prepared to bush wack a little. Bring good footwear. The easy to get to spots, especially on interesting parts of the course will be crowded, but even then you can usually find a spot to watch. If you want the best view of an easy accessible feature, plan to get there a little earlier.

2) I'd say staying there is ideal, if you can get a room and it's within your budget. It might be a little pricey, but that could be all relative. I camp in the parking lot in my RV. Parking and coming and going could get a little busy, especially during the XC and DH races (Sat/Sun), other days it will be fine. If you do drive into the venue those days, if you don't arrive early, you might be walking a little (1km, but nothing extreme). I really enjoy being right on site. I can come and go as I please, which is very nice. If a huge rain shower hits, or I need relief from the sun, I can relax in my own space, not a communal space.

3) Trails are pretty much open the entire time, including race day. I've never DH'd there, but there are people riding every day, including the DH day. I think it's only the world cup course that is closed, though there might be small alterations to others. The XC trails are open as well, though some might have some alterations on the day the big citizen race occurs (Raid Velo). But I've ridden that day and it cause me no problems.

3a) I'd suspect you could bring your bikes into your room. It's a mountain resort catering to biking in the summer. Most people don't like to leave their bikes locked to the vehicle. I'd ask when your reserve. In saying that, there are plenty of bikes locked to vehicles during velurium.

4) I've crossed the border many times with 4 bikes and 2 people. Never a question about it (other than where are you going and for how long). Certainly no special paper work. Pretty normal for people going on a bike vacation to be loaded with bike gear.

Overall, it's a great time, especially if you enjoy watching the world cup races, which I do. It's fun to cruise through the pits and see all the pros and their equipment. There are quite the late night parties as well, if that is your thing.

If you want to slum with the dirt-bags in parking lot, PM me and drop in for a beer. We should be setting up camp Friday at noon-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmk104 View Post
    Hi all,

I want to attend the UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne (Aug 5-7). I've never
    1) Does this sound like something that is doable? I've never attended any UCI races before so I am not sure if there are any rules or restrictions on spectating the race. How early do I have get there to ensure a nice trail side spot to spectate the race? Any suggestions on locations with the best views?

2) Should I stay at the Chateau Mont Sainte Anne which is right at the base of the mountain. I was hoping to minimize the amount of drive to and from the mountain during the race weekend. How is parking going to be during the race weekend?

3) Are the trails open during the race weekend? Or is the whole montain closed for the UCI race?

3) What should I do about bike security? I am assuming the bikes will need to stay on my bike rack during overnight hours. I will have 4 bikes with me (my wife and I, 2 on roof and 2 on hitch). I will be bringing thick cables and a kryptonite u-lock. I plan on looping the cables through all my bikes and securing everything to my hitch with the u-lock.

4) Border crossing with 4 bikes, is this going to be a problem? Any special paperwork to fill out?

Please let me know! I am really excited and really appreciate any advice I can get!!

Straight outta Rossland

9 lives
    We've been to MSA many times.

We have stayed at the Chateau Mont Ste Anne a few times. It is more expensive that other places in the vicinity. It does have a beautiful pool and hot tub! There are motels in Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré and there are chalets and condos closer to the mountain. We've stayed a few times at the Rent our condos, villas, chalets and houses at Mont-Sainte-Anne, near Quebec city and Le Massif de Charlevoix. — Chalets Montmorency which is a good value and you can cook prepare meals in the condo and you can walk/ride to the trails. We shopped for groceries in town (the IGA rocks!) and prepped our own meals to save a little money. There are some awesome brewpubs in town... which are fun!

We had no problem bringing our bikes into the room/condo. The chateau has a bike storage in the hotel, the montmorency has space in the room/condo.

We've travelled to Whiteface NY with our DH bikes, there was no issue/paperwork at the border

The trail crews prep the trails for the World Cup so riding is awesome. We hope to go back this fall befor season closing.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the helpful advice everyone!! I am all set. Definitely going!!! Can't wait.

ups and downs
    The Chateau has had a bunch of upscale renovations since I was there last in 2014 for the World Cup, I suspect the prices have gone up in step with that. According to their website 126 of the 211 rooms have been renovated. In 2014 it wasn't an issue to take your bike in the room as long as it was clean, and they had a wash station outside. Many of the racers and UCI people stayed in the Chateau and had their bikes in the rooms. But the new finishes look pretty high zoot. It looks like they are sold out for World Cup week, there's quite a few other options right in that area, here's the online booking link.

It is great being able to walk to the race events, and the vibe around the pits and paddock area is very cool, usually manufacturers have demo bikes available in the pits, but the place empties out like the circus left town by the end of Monday after the races. It's not like other ski resort towns in that respect, the hotel is the only thing still active the day after it's done.

The circus is in town
    Attending UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne-003.jpg

Attending UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne-011-003.jpg

The day after
    Attending UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne-009-001.jpg

There's some hiking trails on the mountain top as well, with great views.
    Attending UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne-057-001.jpg

There is also a need to buy a trail pass to ride the MSA trail network. $16/day or $99 for a season trail pass, or if you want to be able to use the gondola to access the downhill and upper AM trails, or the easy way to get to the north side of the mountain, the trail/lift pass is $43/day. They have really expanded their XC and AM trail networks in the past few years

Mont-Sainte-Anne

And you don't need to worry about speaking French, if you can manage the polite interchanges like Bonjour, C'est Bon, Merci, Excuse Moi, Pardon (you're still in Canada, knowing how to apologize is still important when you bump in to people), the staff will quickly recognize if you're struggling and switch to English.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 06-29-2016 at 07:22 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

9 lives
    The renovated rooms (quite nice European design) at the Chateau only have a microwave so guests are gently discouraged from doing their own cooking and are kind of "forced" to use the restaurant. We weren't allowed to bring our bikes into these upgraded rooms and had to use the lobby locker... which is why we sought alternative accommodations since we were there to ride.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

ups and downs
    They're obviously steering the Chateau to the upscale ski crowd, not the mountainbikers. I guess skiers don't get muddy. That's too bad, the Chateau had quite a cool vibe with so many World Cup racers staying there and Rob Warner's loud voice echoing down the hallways. Beaupre and MSA still have a great vibe in general.

Time to obey the exit signs in the Chateau and run away

Attending UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne-022-001.jpg

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    They're obviously steering the Chateau to the upscale ski crowd, not the mountainbikers. I guess skiers don't get muddy. That's too bad, the Chateau had quite a cool vibe with so many World Cup racers staying there and Rob Warner's loud voice echoing down the hallways. Beaupre and MSA still have a great vibe in general.

Time to obey the exit signs in the Chateau and run away

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	022-001.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	364.1 KB 
ID:	1079195
    LOL Partir vite
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Upscale accommodations and hob-nosing all the elite? This is how you attend the world cup, in the parking lot with the drunk privateers. When did mountain biking get so corporate

Attending UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne-ms1.jpg

Attending UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne-ms2.jpg

Attending UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne-ms3.jpg
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    And there is a gas station (on the right) as you head up to Mt St Anne from Beaupre. Great selection of local microbrews!
    Straight outta Rossland

ups and downs
    The Beaupré IGA Super Store has a nice deli section with nice fresh sandwiches too. Just about 6-8 minutes drive from MSA. Although, as long as these guys show up, you can get a great smoked meat sandwich during the day. Velirium usually have a fairly wild outdoor party at the venue on Saturday night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Attending UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne-001-002.jpg  

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    And there is a gas station (on the right) as you head up to Mt St Anne from Beaupre. Great selection of local microbrews!
    Yes that's a good one... we liked this microbrewery as well which is in town

Microbrasserie des Beaux Prés
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Upscale accommodations and hob-nosing all the elite? This is how you attend the world cup, in the parking lot with the drunk privateers. When did mountain biking get so corporate

Name:	ms1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	1079222

Name:	ms2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	1079223

Name:	ms3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	1079224
    I prefer glamping
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

ups and downs
    There's a couple of other spots with good eats, L'Aventure Resto-Relax (Restaurant L'Aventure, Resto Pub, Bar, Mont-Sainte-Anne, Côte-de-Beaupré, Québec - L'ACCUEIL) is a couple of minutes away from MSA toward Beaupré, good quality food and not crazy prices. And then just SW of the intersection between highway 138 and 380, there's a place called Les Trois Becs that has great food (Traiteur, Sainté-Anne-de-Beaupré, QC, Saint-Féréol, QC, Château-Richer, QC - LES Trois BECs) and sometimes they have a small outlet open at MSA called Les Petit Becs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I prefer glamping
    Glamping implies elements of camping, in luxury. Curious, can you have a campfire in the Chateaux?

Not that I'm one to talk, I have hot water, a shower, toilet, couch, TV, stove, fridge and a queen bed in my trailer, anywhere I want to park. Nicer than most hotels I've stayed in.
    Straight outta Rossland

9 lives
    Glamping implies elements of camping, in luxury. Curious, can you have a campfire in the Chateaux?

Not that I'm one to talk, I have hot water, a shower, toilet, couch, TV, stove, fridge and a queen bed in my trailer, anywhere I want to park. Nicer than most hotels I've stayed in.
    The rooms at the Chateau had fireplaces. We have stayed at the Montmorency the last few trips and had a fireplace as well. The accommodation was the size of a one bedroom condo and all amenities (Fridge, dishwasher, fully stocked kitchen, WiFi etc). It also has a pool and hot tub but less expensive than the Chateau... and we don't have to clean it, pump out the grey water, insure it, maintenance it, tow it etc. We just walk away.

Your camper sounds nice but my idea of camping is what I did as a kid in northern Ontario and now I prefer an alternative
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    The rooms at the Chateau had fireplaces. We have stayed at the Montmorency the last few trips and had a fireplace as well. The accommodation was the size of a one bedroom condo and all amenities (Fridge, dishwasher, fully stocked kitchen, WiFi etc). It also has a pool and hot tub but less expensive than the Chateau... and we don't have to clean it, pump out the grey water, insure it, maintenance it, tow it etc. We just walk away.

Your camper sounds nice but my idea of camping is what I did as a kid in northern Ontario and now I prefer an alternative
    Whatever gets us all out on MTB trips!
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Great advice everyone!

We ended up getting a 1 bedroom condo at Hébergement Mont Sainte-Anne. $125 a night with indoor bike storage and right next to the lift, can't really beat that.

On my way to Sainte Anne, I am going to hit up:

Bromont
    La Vallee Bras du Nord - the full Neilson

Any other suggestions? I am going to skip Montreal completely and drive directly to Quebec City on Sunday morning. So I have a full 3 days around the Quebec City area to explore the trails there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Not to hijack this thread but I'll be heading to MSA for the first time as well. I see on the website there are some AM trails as well as a bunch of XC trails. I'm on a Troy and would like to get a bunch of descents in. Doesn't need to be anything gnarly or technical. Just some fun flowy stuff would be fine. (but tech is good too!) If I pay for lift access, are there trails I can ride from the summit that don't require a full face helmet?

9 lives
    The xc trails (easy/difficult/very difficult/ extreme!) are marked and are accessible from the lift. There must be over 100km of trails. We rode some with dh bikes like L'Arche du Boise, La Zappa, La Coup du Monde etc. but it would have been better with all-mtn bikes and I had to push some sections. The trails are gnarly (if you like rocks... you'll love it!).

https://i1.wp.com/mont-sainte-anne.c...CC_legende.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Great thanks! Would it be feasible to just take the lifts up and ride the single track down? I get enough climbing locally and it would be nice to keep the climbs to a minimum.

ups and downs
    When you buy a trail pass you have the option of buying the lift access as well, several of the AM/XC trails can be lift accessed (L'echappee, L'Erabliere, La Grisante, La Vietnam,La Tordue). When I was there in 2012, I ran into Marie-Helene Premont and her sister after they had just ridden La Vietnam on 26" hardtails, so the red AM trails definitely don't need full face helmets.

https://i1.wp.com/mont-sainte-anne.c...DH_legende.jpg (lift access trails)

https://i1.wp.com/mont-sainte-anne.c...CC_legende.jpg (XC trails)

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Awesome thanks! I was just worried that we wouldn't be allowed onto the DH trails without full face helmets. (says on the website they're required)

ups and downs
    They might have changed the rules lately, but the designated AM trails didn't require a full face helmet last time I was there. The designated DH trails really rate a full face helmet and body armour.

ALL MOUNTAIN – 9 km

From the summit, All Mountain (AM) trails are also accessible for double suspension bikes.
    Equipment required: Double suspension bike and helmet.

Mont-Sainte-Anne

The daily trail pass rates

Trails only [XC] $16
    1 trip up and trails $29
    Unlimited trips up and trails $43

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Pretty sure I'm going too!!!

Plan A: Drive out to Montreal Sat afternoon (later) and hang out with my cousin for the night then make it to MSA early Sunday to take in all the races, atmosphere and stuff and as much as I possibly can and head home right after - going to be a long drive home but I'm pretty stoked.

Plan B: Go out Fri night to Montreal and hit MSA Sat mid day... tough decision...

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

ups and downs
    Plan B. Make it a day and a half in MSA, worth it

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    Pretty sure I'm going too!!!

Plan A: Drive out to Montreal Sat afternoon (later) and hang out with my cousin for the night then make it to MSA early Sunday to take in all the races, atmosphere and stuff and as much as I possibly can and head home right after - going to be a long drive home but I'm pretty stoked.

Plan B: Go out Fri night to Montreal and hit MSA Sat mid day... tough decision...

D
    Check the schedule. DH races are on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am at Mont Sainte Anne right now. Just saw Aaron Gwin at the YT tent. Awesome!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ups and downs
    A World Cup outside of the Olympic year is even better as many of the Euro racers get there the weekend before to adjust to the time shift, and a much bigger international attendance. The 2010 World Champs at MSA was amazing, like a World Cup turned to 11, lots of action going on, plus the trials and lots of music/parties.

When Marie-Helene Premont was racing, the place was packed to the gills until the women's race was over then about 25% of the audience just wandered off. She was MSA's daughter/little sister, so the turnout was huge for the women's race. Since she retired the audiences have been noticeably smaller.

Attending UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne-2007_0704worldcup0167.jpg

Attending UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne-08msawc22.jpg

mtbr member
    Super excited as well. Leaving tonight and should arrive around lunch tomorrow, staying until Tuesday morning.

Afterwards heading to Sentier du Moulin for a day of riding, then spending 4 days in Valle-Bras-Du-Nord. Hitting up Edmonston trails on the way home! Gonna be a great vacation.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So I did not reserve a camping spot at the venue online, and apparently they are now full. Any other options nearby? Coming up tomorrow, small pop-up camper.....bumming. Thanks

ups and downs
    There's some camping at other locations between Quebec City and Mont Sainte Anne, including on the big island Ile d'Orelans.

https://www.campingturmel.com/en/

Camping Orléans | Île d'Orléans | Québec

Camping | Lodging in Quebec City, Canada

9 lives
    Enjoy the visit and races at MSA... also keep an eye out for some cool signs of respect

Attending UCI World Cup Race at Mont Sainte Anne-13906822_10208265589290986_4511134124058187371_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    That's Tahnee Seagrave's dad and brother at the Shimano Trailer. They needed Brake fluid and they brought me Marmite from England
    pretty good trade if you ask me

mtbr member
    in fact, after closer inspection these pics of the shimano trailer are from last year. the race course didnt finish in this spot this year.