Anything new at Kelso ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anything new at Kelso ?

I havent been there for 2 years and was wondering if there is anything new there or is it the same ole , same ole ??

Workin for the weekend!
    A few trails have been redirected, some of the Extreme Trail has been neutered... Lots of people hurting themselves, we're lucky that mountain biking hasn't been blackballed by the region.

Still good though, lots of variety in the terrain.
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    I don't really bother going there anymore. I just ride Hilton Falls/Agreement Forest. I get bored there. It has been the same since the early nineties when I first went there except it is not as good. Way more variety 5 minutes from there.
    Burnt Norton

Workin for the weekend!
    Everytime I go to the AF, I'm lost in 15 minutes... No problem if you have 3 hours to explore, but Kelso gives me a predictable loop, with some good climbing.

Maybe I should hitup a group ride one of time or another...🙃
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Yeah. That is true. AF and HF are on Trailforks now. No real climbing, but it makes up for it with the rocks for a work out. I know the place well, so I can cater my rides to how I feel that day. I remember one of my first rides where I ended up on an hour solid of the toughest trails pounding rocks. I keep forgetting what a mess that can seem to someone new. I tend to approach my riding as an adventure. I would go in there, turn on my GPS tracking and just go. When I had enough, I would see where I was and work my way back. I know that's not the approach a lot of people take and not really a great way to train if that is what you are doing. I used to do that at one time. Use the same loops and keep track of them to see how as was doing.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I don't really bother going there anymore. I just ride Hilton Falls/Agreement Forest. I get bored there. It has been the same since the early nineties when I first went there except it is not as good. Way more variety 5 minutes from there.
    Yep. Same here. Kelso is easier and a lot busier than it used to be. There's just not enough there to make a ride out of it. After an hour I've ridden everything and just looping back over the same widened trails. Kudos to those that do like it but it's not for this gal. I'm out.
    I love riding my bike!

mtbr member
    I too am pretty bored with Kelso. Only went once this year, very early in the season, I think with in their first week of being open.

That said I could have sworn there were a couple new trails. Or maybe they were the reworks mentioned.. But relatively long, sort of 'field' sections. Nothing crazy but an appreciated change of scenery.Also there was some heavy machinery there and it looked like they were placing some large rocks in the field adjacent to the upper parking lot.. I remember assuming it was some new trail work.
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Everytime I go to the AF, I'm lost in 15 minutes... No problem if you have 3 hours to explore, but Kelso gives me a predictable loop, with some good climbing.

Maybe I should hitup a group ride one of time or another...🙃
    Get a GPS. Go out, get lost, and find your way back!

I had basically written off HF until I got one. Getting lost as the sky darkens, out of shape, out of water dying to get back to the car will do that.

(actually there's some pretty detailed maps out there now, plus trail forks, group rides as you mentioned..)
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

Moderator Moderator
    I was just thinking the same thing as ccaddy, I have not been to Kelso in about 4 years myself. Sounds like I'm not missing much.

mtbr member
    Eric - I remember when you got us lost in Hilton Falls LOL

mtbr member
    I loved getting lost in there. I actually miss having that sense of adventure. It took basically a whole summer of riding till I was able to navigate all of AF/HF without looking at map. I still get turned around a bit sometimes, but not with that feeling of not having any idea which way is up.
    Burnt Norton

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Eric - I remember when you got us lost in Hilton Falls LOL
    Yeah...... thought I had the right trail but was wrong. Meh.