Anyone ride in Orono Crown?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Anyone ride in Orono Crown?

Anyone here ride in Orono Crown Perserve (East of Toronto 50min)?

I ran across Santas' the other day, and the section south of the main parking road.

Jan 2004

Where is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-WL
    Anyone here ride in Orono Crown Perserve (East of Toronto 50min)?

I ran across Santas' the other day, and the section south of the main parking road.
    Hey there,

How do you get to this place? How many kms of trails? I am in Peterborough, usually ride in Ganaraska Forest. Is it worth a 40 minute drive?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Orono is West on Taunton Rd. @ 115, about 5km. Head south on Ochonski Rd 5km to the horse farm. Just past the farm on the right is a parking lot.

Trails are wet, leave 1-2 days post-rain before it's good to ride.

Length is 10km at max, there are other trails that lead into Orono town itself, and may be longer, I'm still exploring.

If you're in the area it may be worth checking out the area.

Would I drive 40minutes to ride? Maybe if I was desperate I'd do it.
    Have you had any luck finding Trails in ptbo? Jackson Creek is nice, the section past Jackman Rd is nice if the farmers gate is open, I've always wanted to cross the creek and go up and down the hill.

There is a ton of places that would rock for single track.

Jan 2004

I see...

Orono is West on Taunton Rd. @ 115, about 5km. Head south on Ochonski Rd 5km to the horse farm. Just past the farm on the right is a parking lot.

Trails are wet, leave 1-2 days post-rain before it's good to ride.

Length is 10km at max, there are other trails that lead into Orono town itself, and may be longer, I'm still exploring.

If you're in the area it may be worth checking out the area.

Would I drive 40minutes to ride? Maybe if I was desperate I'd do it.
    Have you had any luck finding Trails in ptbo? Jackson Creek is nice, the section past Jackman Rd is nice if the farmers gate is open, I've always wanted to cross the creek and go up and down the hill.

There is a ton of places that would rock for single track.
    Interesting...might have to check it out one day. I have about a 45-60 km (varies depending which route I take and how energetic I feel) loop I can do in Peterborough which links up a bunch of single track, rail trail and road. Goes from Lakefield, down around Trent University and then to Jackson's Park.

Have you ridden much in Ganaraska Forest? I go quite often and the place likely one of the best kept secrets as far a biking goes. I hardly ever see anyone in there. Literally 100s of km of trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chomp
    Have you ridden much in Ganaraska Forest? I go quite often and the place likely one of the best kept secrets as far a biking goes. I hardly ever see anyone in there. Literally 100s of km of trail.
    I haven't been there to ride, only hike.
    I know the trail system is really long, how is the selection of single track? The whole area is really sandy, I used to 4x4 just north of the Ganaraska near Mosport.
    If you don't mind let me know if you happen to head up again and I'll see if I can meet you up there.

I'll be riding Orono this weekend (looks to be fairly dry today and tomorrow) and I'll post and let you know how it was.. I'm hoping to link up from Taunton Rd. to Lake Ontario at some point, I think it can be done.

Jan 2004

Central Forest is not sandy

I haven't been there to ride, only hike.
    I know the trail system is really long, how is the selection of single track? The whole area is really sandy, I used to 4x4 just north of the Ganaraska near Mosport.
    If you don't mind let me know if you happen to head up again and I'll see if I can meet you up there.

I'll be riding Orono this weekend (looks to be fairly dry today and tomorrow) and I'll post and let you know how it was.. I'm hoping to link up from Taunton Rd. to Lake Ontario at some point, I think it can be done.
    Hey...

The Central Forest is not sandy at all, the double track is a bit. THere are some very extensive single track sections linked by fast double track. It is not technically challenging, but the amount of climbing you do (remember, with climbing comes descending) it can be a very difficult ride. You access this part of the forest just Northeast of the village Kendal from the forest centre. They have vey detailed maps for about $5 which are a necessity. You WILL get lost and not find the good trails if you venture in without guidance...the place is huge...I am very familiar with it and can get turned around quite easily. My first time there I rode with some guys familiar with the place.

...and then there is the Eastern forest...more great single track...probably 18 km uninterupted single track

Not sure when or if I will be back down again this year, depends when the rain falls and the snow flies.

Honestly, I cannot believe more people don't ride there, maybe most people from Toronto go to Durham Forest, Dagmar, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I found a nice loop, about 15km in length.

From the parking lot, head west then north on double track for 500m until you get to the pines, follow the trail through the forest (Nice section w/ a few hills, pretty fast) . Trail ends at double track again, head west down the hill and look for a trail on the right. Take one of the two and head North to Outdoor Education center (look for the creek)
    Head west along the creek a few km, cross over the bridge.

Continue a few more km until you get to the intersection at the power lines, go up the hill and turn right until the fence, then left down the hill, over the bridge, and right along the creek.

There are 3 bridges (12 to 4") that are fun to ride, go over and back again.
    look for the teeter totter on the left, and continue down the river, cross Concession #5, and then go to Squires Rd.

From here, there is more trail up the hill I hear, but didn't ride it. Return on same loop and explore a few other trails to make it a 20+km day.

Jan 2004

Good to know...

I found a nice loop, about 15km in length.

From the parking lot, head west then north on double track for 500m until you get to the pines, follow the trail through the forest (Nice section w/ a few hills, pretty fast) . Trail ends at double track again, head west down the hill and look for a trail on the right. Take one of the two and head North to Outdoor Education center (look for the creek)
    Head west along the creek a few km, cross over the bridge.

Continue a few more km until you get to the intersection at the power lines, go up the hill and turn right until the fence, then left down the hill, over the bridge, and right along the creek.

There are 3 bridges (12 to 4") that are fun to ride, go over and back again.
    look for the teeter totter on the left, and continue down the river, cross Concession #5, and then go to Squires Rd.

From here, there is more trail up the hill I hear, but didn't ride it. Return on same loop and explore a few other trails to make it a 20+km day.
    Good to know...maybe one day when I am feeling adventurous and need a change...

Also in your neck of the woods, is Long Sault Conservation Area...pretty fun ride through there...I X-country ski there a lot, biked there once. You can link up the ski area in the west with another area of the conservation reserve up the road to the east...good ride too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Another access point to Orono is across from the John Deere dealer on Taunton west of Ochonski. There is a parking lot there as well.

The west area of the Ganny is sandy as well. I'd like to check the centre section out for a change. I'm not a big fan of riding in the sand.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    When I drove by the parking lot on Taunton Rd. yesterday I saw that they were logging the pine plantation to the west (across from the John Deere dealer).
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Logging

Yes, they have contracted out a bunch of thinning. The forest is on the edge of collapsing, there is too much growth.

Heavy thinning was taking place last year in the southern part, and this year in the northern/ central part.

They're having issues with invading species as well, they were trying to purchase a chipper to shred the vines, but couldn't get the money.

Langley Utilities (Bruce Langley) read an article in the paper about the Orono Crown Lands was requesting a loan from the city. The city wouldn't front them the cash, and Bruce Langley realized that he had a spare chipper sitting in his backyard, so he loaned it to them. Kudos to him for helping keep a great forest around...

If you haven't visited the Orono Crown Lands, and you're in the Durham East area, it's a fantastic place to ride... Tons of trails, never busy and a nice varity of terrain.

Chad

mtbr member
    If you haven't visited the Orono Crown Lands, and you're in the Durham East area, it's a fantastic place to ride... Tons of trails, never busy and a nice varity of terrain.
    I went there this summer and I round a river loop that had enjoyable flow, but it was flat. My out of shape buddy liked that, no hills.

Where is this "variety of terrain" you speak of?
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hills

The River loop is quite nice, but very flat.. All my "less athletic" friends enjoy it..
    The more hilly area is south one road, and east one road.

If it's dry, follow the river past the Train Tracks, past the road, and to the end of the trail. It will end on Squires Road (Ochonski Rd. South of the concession)

From here, head north about 20m and the trail starts again on the other side of the road.

The southern forest has more hills, nothing great or epic, but is usually drier and has hills.

Chad

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Chad, any idea of what kind of vines that are growing? I noticed it was the "overgrown" area that was being logged & figured that was 1 of the reasons it was being logged.

Also the trails north of the railbed are quite up & down.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada