Anyone Night Riding @ Durham Forest ....- Mtbr.com
    Living Life Behind Bars..

Anyone Night Riding @ Durham Forest ....

Tyring to beat the heat wondering if anyone else is doing this with some regularity ?

Nights / Times ?

I Strava Hamburgers
    I know DMBA every once in a while will hold some night rides. I haven't gotten a notification of one in a while.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I use to ride the Rouge at night but haven't tried Durham. Hate to get lost there at night and have my lights go out!

your more than weelcome to ride with us once we nail a day down, going to try for next tues night. we typically wont go more than 2 hrs tops.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Date: Friday, July 22, 2011
    Time: 8:30:00 PM
    Notes: For those who feel like going out at night please join us at 8:30 pm in the main lot. Bring a bug spray, see you tomorrow.

DMBA is riding tonight. You should try to hook up with them for the ride if you're interested.

Email: [email protected]

DMBA Web Site

KTECH
    Night riding is not allowed in Durham/Walker/Glen Major forest not that anyone really cares just saying.And not really surprised DMBA would be advocating this as they do not normally follow the rules of the trail the claim to be champions of. Flame On

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm pretty sure it's only posted for no night riding @ Glen Major/Walker Woods (AKA 3 Rox)due toTRCA regs. Have been riding at Durham Forest @ night for years with no postings. The TRCA does not want riding at night as it adversely affects "night creatures" (so I was told).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcutch View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's only posted for no night riding @ Glen Major/Walker Woods (AKA 3 Rox)due toTRCA regs. Have been riding at Durham Forest @ night for years with no postings. The TRCA does not want riding at night as it adversely affects "night creatures" (so I was told).
    When riding was banned in the area a few years ago that is what I had heard about the night creatures too. I believe there is a rare salamander in the area they're trying to protect. I remember seeing pics on one of the boards if I recall correctly. There are a lot of hidden ponds in GM/WW and you can hear the peppers in the spring going crazy in various spots. Ravenshoe is another area where the peeper population is high too.
    I had thought the ban extended to Durham forest too, but I learned earlier this year, thanks to this forum, it is not banned in Durham forest just GM/WW.

Quote Originally Posted by KTECH View Post
    Night riding is not allowed in Durham/Walker/Glen Major forest not that anyone really cares just saying.And not really surprised DMBA would be advocating this as they do not normally follow the rules of the trail the claim to be champions of. Flame On
    It's only 3 Rocks / Glen Major. Durham is fine for night riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Check your facts!

Quote Originally Posted by KTECH View Post
    Before you go bashing the DMBA, check your facts! Two different conservation authorities, two sets of rules !

No night riding in Glen Major/Walker Woods aka Duffins Headwaters. Toronto and Region Conservation (TRCA) manages this property and sets the rules. It's still okay to night ride in Durham Forest, Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority (LSRCA) manages the property and have there own rules and protocols.

Why two different conservation authorities since the properties are adjacent? Durham Forest is considered part of the Lake Simcoe watershed, while Glen/major and Walker drain into Lake Ontario and is close enough to Toronto to fall under their jurisdiction. This was all set up decades ago to deal with flooding, primarily due to most of this land being cleared for farming.

BTW, I'm not a DMBA member, or part of any conservation authority, I just like to know a little about an area that I have the privilege of using so I understand the context of any situations that affect its use!

KTECH
    Firstly I am not bashing DMBA I have many friends whom are members, they do lots of good stuff and I personally feel advocates for these trails are a good idea.
    The issue and the facts are that many of the night riders end up in WW/GM and many of them are members of the club. This is a fact I have seen it many times.
    I am a property owner in the GM forest and can observe and hear riders at night behind our house. The night riding does not bother me as it does many of my fellow property owners,more likely because I have been riding these forests for well over 20yrs and have watched all the changes it has gone through.
    Personally I feel the large groups are the issue as it makes the trails much less comfortable for other users.