• 03-07-2015
    deckard2
    Anyone head to the Toronto Bike Show? deals?
    how was the show?
    any good deals?
    post up your great finds here
    I have decided not to go yet because I am semi-broke and tripping over the old stuff I have kicking around

although I have a $25 master card gift card needing to be spent
  • 03-10-2015
    -Todd-
    LOL, this show must have been a real dud, not a single reply!
  • 03-11-2015
    VR6ix
    Quote:

Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    LOL, this show must have been a real dud, not a single reply!

It was like any other year but with more hipsters wearing mustaches. Outside of complete bikes, it was 90% road stuff, 10% mtb stuff that was too expensive after discount or mediocre stuff that no one wanted to buy. I was hoping to find a helmet & gloves and maybe a chain guide. lol, nope! All I could find was a set of tires and their "sale price" was exactly the same as Chain Reaction currently offers. Even the manufacturers booths were very poorly stocked with tons of open floor space.

If I knew I could get my Blue pass at the end of the season I would have skipped the show altogether :thumbsup:
  • 03-11-2015
    -Todd-
    Excellent, I was a little sore to have missed it, and now I'm not!
  • 03-11-2015
    pucked up
    Seems like every year it gets harder for the vendors to make decent profit from the show. Which means less bargains for us shoppers.

I haven't gone in over 5yrs but a local bike shop east of the GTA was running a anti bike show sale last weekend.
  • 03-11-2015
    cyclelicious
    We didn't go this year. Purchased our blue passes at season closure and I ordered a pair of socks on line :)
  • 03-13-2015
    deckard2
    yes, it would seem no one is willing to share or they may have not gotten a great deal after checking online
    I have noticed that over the last couple of years, the GTA has become road centric and that mountain bikes have slipped into the background a little bit
    people maybe realized that a mountain bike maybe too big and heavy for their needs? like big SUVs?
    better for trail riders I suppose, less traffic
    better for me
    have a great season everyone!
  • 03-13-2015
    pizon
    since you can grab the blue pass online for the same price, i skipped the show.
  • 03-13-2015
    secret agent
    the Bike show has always been about the same. It's always a number of bike shops dumping their old inventory. Certain bike shop(s) that inflate prices and then discount them to regular price. I have found that you would get the same deals if you looked around at a few bike shops if you are looking for something specific. Also online deals are to be had. I personally only deal with my LBS for stuff unless I buy used. There are good deals on road bikes. I almost bought one once even though I already had one with the plan on selling the old one. This was purely impulse of a good deal. They I got my senses and thought of how much hassle it would be to unload the other bike and I only ride road in the slop season anyway. I enjoyed some of the BMX and trials stuff, but it's not worth it for me.
  • 03-13-2015
    VR6ix
    Quote:

Originally Posted by deckard2 View Post
    I have noticed that over the last couple of years, the GTA has become road centric and that mountain bikes have slipped into the background a little bit

15 years ago there was a properly-decent amount of quality MTB content. 10 years ago there were still a few smaller shops from far away that set-up tiny booths crammed with all the goodies they could carry. It's steadily progressed into bland & banal big-city capitalism.

I love the idea of an anti-bike-show movement. Joyride 150 would be a great venue for an event on that same weekend as the show. Now THAT'S a trip to Toronto that would be worth it every spring :thumbsup:
  • 03-13-2015
    Nerdgirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ix View Post
    I love the idea of an anti-bike-show movement. Joyride 150 would be a great venue for an event on that same weekend as the show. Now THAT'S a trip to Toronto that would be worth it every spring :thumbsup:

Well, Joyride does host most of the BMX jam riders on the Saturday night...
  • 03-15-2015
    steve650b
    Picked up a Park PCS-9 stand for $109.99........not a steal of a deal but cheaper than I've seen online. I was looking for a seat post but very slim picking, nothing that was under $180.

Overall not very impressed with the show.
  • 03-15-2015
    dhabartrider11
    I went and I wish I didn't. They should just call it as it is. Everything but mountain bike show. There were
    maybe 10 decent mountain bike there everything else was very entry level. After parking, Admission, and gas it just felt like a waste of money and a day that I could spent riding my fat bike. In the end the message I got from this, and l hate to say this but just go online if your into mountain bikes, even my lbs takes much longer to order parts then it takes to open up a laptop!
  • 03-18-2015
    permanentrevolution
    I'm mostly a roadie, so I did pretty good. Pick up some carbon sole race shoes for $100, which sell for $400 US online. Same goes for the composite sole training shoes I picked for $50, which sell for $200 US online. Found a rare 120mm carbon stem with the old 26mm clap size for $5. Ergo drop bars for $10. And two dozen whey protein bars for $10. Much better than last year when I walked away without buying a single thing. Thankfully I took a tiny rental car to the show, otherwise I would have bought a new Giant TCR.
  • 03-19-2015
    DrugStoreCowboy
    I got a good deal on a pair of Shimano bike shoes, a helmet for my little guy and gloves. However, by the time I factor in the cost of parking ($14.00), plus cost of admission, then it becomes somewhat debatable as far as savings go. It was my first time attending this show, so I didn't mind getting a good look at things. Not sure if I'll go next year unless I'm ready to buy a new bike.

By the way, charging $4.00 for a pitiful cup of faux coffee ought to be treated as a crime! The nerve to charge so much for what amounts to road repair material...
  • 03-19-2015
    Nerdgirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DrugStoreCowboy View Post
    By the way, charging $4.00 for a pitiful cup of faux coffee ought to be treated as a crime! The nerve to charge so much for what amounts to road repair material...

You should have gone to the Canadian Cyclist booth where Krys had his old Domestique booth out, raising money for bike related charities.
  • 03-19-2015
    DrugStoreCowboy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    You should have gone to the Canadian Cyclist booth where Krys had his old Domestique booth out, raising money for bike related charities.

Damn, sorry I missed that. For THAT I'd have gladly handed over $4.00 for a coffee.