Anybody ridden Boler on a ss???- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

Anybody ridden Boler on a ss???

ok... i'm doing some thinking, and i want to know what kind of singlespeed gear ratio would be rideable at boler mountain in london (on). can anyone help?

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004

Good job!

32-16 but that's just me
    I Ride, I Know

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TT.
    32-16 but that's just me
    did you stick all the climbs? i was thinkng 32:17, so i should be about right. i tried it with 34:15 a couple of times... what was i thinking?

Jan 2004
    Cool, another SS'er! Are you in London or just planning on coming into town to ride/race there? I run 32x18 and some of the hills are a killer. On the sport loop there are only 1 or 2 small but evily steep climbs I can't do. If you ride the expert loop prepare to do some walking with a SS.

There is another SS here (Verne Dog) but I have no idea of what his ratio is. I've seen him do the races there with his bike converted to a 3 speed cassette which was kinda cool. And at the last battery burner 12 hour race at Boler there was a SS team.

Single and rigid and lovin it!

Jan 2004
    That's funny, 34x15! Are your legs still sore from that effort?

I meant to mention in my last post, I'm going to try running Boler fixed as well this year. Never ridden fixed before so the first time may be my last but it'll be fun as hell trying. Those descents are gonna be CrAaA-ZzZyY!!!

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DobeManSS
    Cool, another SS'er! Are you in London or just planning on coming into town to ride/race there? I run 32x18 and some of the hills are a killer. On the sport loop there are only 1 or 2 small but evily steep climbs I can't do. If you ride the expert loop prepare to do some walking with a SS.

There is another SS here (Verne Dog) but I have no idea of what his ratio is. I've seen him do the races there with his bike converted to a 3 speed cassette which was kinda cool. And at the last battery burner 12 hour race at Boler there was a SS team.

Single and rigid and lovin it!
    i live here, just haven't raced at boler yet as my gearie was scooped out of the back shed mid-season last year, and i replaced it with a ss, and hadn't summoned the balls to race ss that season as i wasn't quite used to it and the typical gearing issues were driving me nuts (i ride to any trail i ride, so i was running 34:15, which was good for riding TO the trails, and utterly terrible ON the trails) but now i will have a kick-ass non-ss setup that will be a ss but not really. i will have my 34:15 gear as well as a 32:17 alongside, so i can switch at the trailhead but still hav a 'ss' and perfect chain tension

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    i live here, just haven't raced at boler yet as my gearie was scooped out of the back shed mid-season last year, and i replaced it with a ss, and hadn't summoned the balls to race ss that season as i wasn't quite used to it and the typical gearing issues were driving me nuts (i ride to any trail i ride, so i was running 34:15, which was good for riding TO the trails, and utterly terrible ON the trails) but now i will have a kick-ass non-ss setup that will be a ss but not really. i will have my 34:15 gear as well as a 32:17 alongside, so i can switch at the trailhead but still hav a 'ss' and perfect chain tension
    So what kind of setup is that, front and rear derailler so it's a 4 speed? Or do you have to manually change the gears, a 2 speed? I like to ride to the trailhead as well and believe me, 32x18 has me spinning like the dickens sometimes!

What's your info - age, area you live, that kind of crap. Would be cool to ride together sometime as us SS'ers aren't all that common here.

Cheers!

Aug 2004
    So what kind of setup is that, front and rear derailler so it's a 4 speed? Or do you have to manually change the gears, a 2 speed? I like to ride to the trailhead as well and believe me, 32x18 has me spinning like the dickens sometimes!
    yeah... it's just two different gear ratios i can manually change. i haven't set ti tup yet, but it's in the works..

What's your info - age, area you live, that kind of crap. Would be cool to ride together sometime as us SS'ers aren't all that common here.
    yeah, haven't met any ssers on the trails since i started. i live in the old southe/downtownish are just south of the river between ridout and richmond, and i'm a young'un (can't legally drink or vote, if that narrows it down) how about i make this a guessing game. you can try to guess and i'll supply you with cryptic clues. yeah, a ss ride would be awesome. i ride the road a bit as soon as there is water on the roads (as opposed to its solid form), maybe we could just meet up somwhere and do a short road ride? (i like riverside drive)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    From what I remember of Boler I think that 32x18 would be most appropriate. I rode this ratio at Albion hill for 4 laps and raced Dagmar on it also. Yes you'll spin out on the flats, but you'll be able to pound it up the steeps.

Simon