Anybody purchased...- Mtbr.com
    iRide hardtail

Anybody purchased...

parts in the 'Classifieds' and how's the shipping from the US to Canada? Any info. (or suggestion) will be a great help.

Thanks
    2003 GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc

mtbr member

Shipped from Canada to USA

Quote Originally Posted by Heylerds
    parts in the 'Classifieds' and how's the shipping from the US to Canada? Any info. (or suggestion) will be a great help.

Thanks

Sorry, I can't speak for U.S. to Canada, but I shipped a complete bike from Toronto Canada to the New Jersey last fall. It was fairly simple. I went to a Fedex depot and shipped it for $58 Cdn. Duties were minimal because the bike was only worth $200 (yeah sure). If you call them you should be able to get an estimate fairly quickly. Just have an idea of the size and weight of the package to be shipped. Hope this helps...

mtbr member

Thanks

DO NOT SHIP UPS! UPS charges insane fees on "border handling." Try to get the shipper to ship via USPS. If you can get the shipper to put it as a warrenty replacement that is the best way to go.

mtbr member
    from the US to Canada
    Umm, guys, you're going the wrong way.

Yes, i've had parts shipped from the U.S. to Canada. Both UPS and FedEx charge REDICULOUS brokerage fees. UPS "gets my vote" ONLY because they're faster. Either way, if you want a decent idea of what a U.S. purchase will cost you, then take the value in U.S. funds and multiply by 1.75 (if you're using UPS or FedEx). So, $100 U.S. will be about $175 Canadian by the time the exchange, taxes and brokerage fee hit you. Notice I didn't mention anything about duty? There is NO duty on new or used auto or bike parts. I've had both sent to my door and i've never seen ANY duty charges.

Now, if you want to save yourself a few bucks then there's a few things you can do;

1) have the seller depreciate the value of the goods. Be forewarned, the Canada Customs crew ARE NOT stupid! Having a $1000 bike sent to you and trying to claim it's $100 usually won't work. All it takes is ONE guy to have a clue about the part and you can be in SERIOUS trouble. It's called Tax Evasion and it's no joke. If you wanna under value a part at least be reasonable and don't go overboard. Also, at any time Canada Customs can ask for you to provide proof of purchase before you take posession (if it's an extreme case). This is when things get ugly.

2) have the seller ship via USPS (United States Postal Service). When the package hits Canada it will be handled by Canada Post, which has much more reasonable shipping/handling fees. It'll take a little longer, though.

3) insurance - yes or no? Insured items will ALWAYS cost more to ship to Canada. The insurance is a "dead giveaway" for brokerage fees to be applied to. It's a simple case of you telling the whole world exactly what it's worth. The choice is yours.

I don't know what your transportation situation is like, but if you have friends near the border/close to where you live, then it can be cheaper to send the parts to that friend and simply drive down and pick up the parts in person. I've done that, too (TO to Buffalo) and it's easily payed for itself.... depending on how you handle things at the border.

Good luck!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

iRide hardtail
    I was thinking of getting a seatpost and stem (around US$90-100) and hopefully from one seller to save a few on shipping cost. I'm not yet sure if I'll buy from the classifieds or go eBay.

Yeah having a friend across the border will be a good idea but unfortunately I don't.

Thanks for the reply guys!
    2003 GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Not if you ship UPS Express

No brokerage fees are charged if you have the sender send the product by UPS Express, which is their air service. What you will have to figure out is if the cost of shipping express will exceed the cost of brokerage fees or not. I just had a frame sent to me via UPS express from the States and all I was responsible for upon delivery in Canada was GST and PST.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I was thinking of getting a seatpost and stem (around US$90-100) and hopefully from one seller to save a few on shipping cost. I'm not yet sure if I'll buy from the classifieds or go eBay.

Yeah having a friend across the border will be a good idea but unfortunately I don't.

Thanks for the reply guys!

I've bought a bunch of bike stuff off of E-Bay and never had much of an issue with the expense. That said, most of it has been shipped USPS so that may speak directly to one of the earlier posts...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Ordering from Cambria Bikes - Brokerage Fees

Cambria bikes web site has a lot of great kit at good prices but even if you ask them to ship USPS (or UPS Express, I'll bet) they will ship it by UPS and you will get nailed with silly brokerage fees.

Its a shame...Cambria has such good selection.
    For ways in which technology has improved your life, press 4 now

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherfan
    Cambria bikes web site has a lot of great kit at good prices but even if you ask them to ship USPS (or UPS Express, I'll bet) they will ship it by UPS and you will get nailed with silly brokerage fees.

Its a shame...Cambria has such good selection.
    I just bought some stuff from Cambria last month. I buy from them occasionally, and they have never screwed anything up on me. If you want to have the goods shipped via USPS (Why would you want anything else?) just phone the order in and tell them you want US Postal... The shipping charges are less than courier and you only pay $5 plus taxes when it arrives by Canada Post. If you order on-line, you will have to accept shipment by courier... Bend over...

The phone order was easy, toll free, and the sales person was really helpful. I'm in their system, so the ordering is very fast. Delevery is about 2 weeks due to the border processing.

Good Luck
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

NormalNorm

I'll second that!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Braids
    DO NOT SHIP UPS! UPS charges insane fees on "border handling." Try to get the shipper to ship via USPS. If you can get the shipper to put it as a warrenty replacement that is the best way to go.

I bought some Magura Julies on EBay for 100 us. They valued the brakes at 118 us so brokeage fees were 49.76 can. I will not buy from the us if they are using UPS. Scamers